Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd February 2008, 09:23 AM
alkojorma Offline

Problem with Wow through Wine

Hi

Ive installed Fedora 8 in hope of making some games run through wine. Now i can run wow in D3D but as its unplayable i tried Opengl. The thing is its working when i change settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf sometimes. Wow then detects a hardware change and asks if i want to load default settings, I press no and can then play wow smooth and lagfree with as it seems full 3d support. But 99% of times it says my 3d card isnt supported and something about Dual-TMU support is needed.

Im runing kernel 2.6.23.14-107.fc8 and fglrxinfo says:

OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Radeon X1950 Series
OpenGL version string: 2.1.7170 Release

glxinfo:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:

And so on...

Has anyone seen this before? I have tried to solve this for days now and I just cant figure it out. Im guessing i have to downgrade something, or upgrade but i have the latest release from livna and the driver from ATIs homepage screwed my rigg. Ive also tried downgrading xorg-x11-server as shown in ATI guide in the forum.

This is frustrating as i know my card can render the game in OpenGL mode but i cant get to a point where i can figure out how and why it sometimes start and run..

Some feedback on this would be great.

Cheers
Old 2nd February 2008, 09:25 AM
leigh123linux

moved to the gamers lounge
Old 3rd February 2008, 04:08 PM
tophat Offline

Problem with WoW and Wine

Hey

Here is a guide I came across when I was installing WoW on my machines. I know the guide says it is for Gentoo but I've used it already twice on Fedora 8 machines and on a Linux Mint machine.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install...raft_with_wine

Since you already have it installed try going down to the Performance Tweaking section. It tells you how to configure the game so that it always runs with OpenGL rather then D3D along with a few other performance tweaks.
Old 26th June 2008, 10:20 PM
willc0de4food Offline

are you using the fglrx drivers?
Old 18th July 2008, 02:00 AM
DivineSoverign Offline

I have the exact same problem, running in D3D gives me WoW in a choppy manner (textures are messed all up, and I get a crash when I get so far in) and running with -opengl gives me the message, "Your 3d accelerator card is not supported by World of Warcraft. Please install a 3d accelerator card with dual-TMU support"

I'm running a nVidia G-force 8800 GTS which I know should be able to play WoW, as per the Gentoo howto. I have the latest nVidia drivers and latest version of Wine, and I've tried everything that the Gentoo howto tries to get me to do. 2.6.25.9-40.fc8

An interesting problem is that when running WoW version 2.0 in D3D, textures are fixed even though the fps are slower.
Old 18th July 2008, 02:35 PM
Thetargos Online

As much as I like ATi hardware, use of it, especially their fglrx proprietary driver in conjunction with wine can be problematic. Besides, there's a bug in their current (8.6) drivers cause a checkboard effect with many Windows applications run through wine.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 21st July 2008, 08:40 AM
jazz452 Offline

Same problem here on arch linux has wine released a recent update.On another partion i have fedora 9
and it works like a dream so i will check if wine is the same version.By the way nvidia 8800gt oc.
Old 21st July 2008, 08:57 AM
jazz452 Offline

[QUOTE=jazz452]Same problem here on arch linux has wine released a recent update.On another partion i have fedora 9
and it works like a dream so i will check if wine is the same version.By the way nvidia 8800gt oc.[/QUOTE

Last edited by jazz452; 21st July 2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 21st July 2008, 08:43 PM
jazz452 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz452
Just checked different wine version.1.0 works fine but 1.1.1 gives graphics card failure.So downgrade wine to 1.0 should work fine
UPDATE
I just installed lib32 utils in arch 64 bit and works fine so make sure you install the 32bit nvidia files im sure this is the problem * yum install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i386* and any dependencies

Tags
problem, wine, wow