Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st January 2008, 04:56 PM
zackf Offline

Installing Java in wine

I have this windows program I want to try to run in wine, but it also requires java to work right, can I install java in wine using an .exe from sun?

Normally this is something I'd just try but it has that tingly feeling that I'm going to jack something up...
Old 31st January 2008, 05:11 PM
forkbomb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackf
I have this windows program I want to try to run in wine, but it also requires java to work right, can I install java in wine using an .exe from sun?

Normally this is something I'd just try but it has that tingly feeling that I'm going to jack something up...
I'd assume so, though I don't know how well it will work.

I'd try to just cd into the directory of the install .exe, and then run "wine foo.exe". Then install whatever Windows app needs Java.

No promises. The complications of running a virtual machine within a compatibility layer are mind-boggling.

EDIT: The worst that can happen is you bork your .wine directory. Just back up your /home/yourusername/.wine directory, and restore that if something gets fubarred while trying this.

Last edited by forkbomb; 31st January 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 31st January 2008, 09:09 PM
zackf Offline

What about java itself though, do you think I should download the .exe from sun and install that first or does wine natively support a java app?
Old 31st January 2008, 10:21 PM
forkbomb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackf
What about java itself though, do you think I should download the .exe from sun and install that first or does wine natively support a java app?
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Install the Java .exe like you'd install any other windows exe in WINE. I'm not sure it will work, though. Like I said, running a Java virtual machine through a compatibility layer may cause problems (which is why I advise backing up your currently installed WINE apps).

I don't believe WINE has native Java support, but I could be wrong there.

Another note:
I don't know what you're trying to run using Java, but one of the points of Java is to enable people to run a given Java app on any machine that has a Java virtual machine installed, regardless of the host platform.

However, for the sake of ease of installating, many Java apps come with platform-specific installers for the sake of easing the process of installing the program in a way that will allow the Virtual machine to run it. For instance, Frostwire is Java-based, but it comes in a binary executable installer for Windows, as well as source tarballs, and even has an .rpm for Fedora/Redhat/other rpm distros. (Seems to sort of defeat the purpose, but that's the way they are sometimes.)

What's the app in question? Often Java-based programs are more cross-platform geared so there might be a Linux-based installer that will allow you to skip installing via Wine.
Old 1st February 2008, 02:17 PM
zackf Offline

It's a fingerprint reader program that uses windows drivers which is why I think I needed wine.

Tags
installing, java, wine