Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th January 2008, 03:34 PM
Curtor Offline

Question The installer is unable to run in graphical mode

Any help that anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.
First off, I would also like to note that I am a little new to Fedora, but I'm starting to catch on.
I'm running a newly formated Fedora 8 system.

Oh, and for reference, I did try doing everything below as root.

I am attempting to set up a cluster of three computers to do grid computing using the Globus Toolkit 4.
To do this, I have to start by installing GCC (done), Java, and Apache (which comes with Java).
Though, when I try to install Java via the .bin file from the terminal,I receive the error message
Code:
The installer is unable to run in graphical mode.  
Try running the installer with the -console or -silent flag
So, according to the Java website, these flags are not supported. I tried them anyway, and got an 'unsupported' error message. Instead, according to the troubleshooter, you are supposed to run in a C shell
Code:
setenv DISPLAY your-local-host:0.0
Since I have a bash shell, I instead ran
Code:
export DISPLAY=[local IP]:0.0
Looking at the environment variable, it is set correctly now. Still, no luck with running the program.

Now, I decided, from the advice from some colleagues, to try using something called 'Yum'. Apparently it is meant for updating the system, but it should also be able to tell me if something is the wrong version, and what exactly it is, or what is throwing an error? Well, I went to try to configure it. From what I've gathered, I have Yum installed, but how can I link it to see why this install is failing?

Or better yet, does anyone know a work around so that I can get the Java installed regardless of Yum?

The file I'm installing is j2sdk-1_4_2_13-nb-5_0-linux-ml.bin

Thanks for anything in advance!

Last edited by Curtor; 30th January 2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Proper formatting
Old 30th January 2008, 11:17 PM
dmbyer Offline

Have you tried running the installer from the GUI rather than from the command line?

It looks like you are installing a Java SDK, is that true? Or what exactly do you mean by installing Java?

There is a feature in Fedora 8 where you can add/remove programs like in Windows. Click in the Fedora icon in the upper left, then select "Add/Remove Software." You may then browse packages for what you are looking for. If you are installing Java Software Development tools, under the "Development" section you can install "Java Development."
Old 18th March 2008, 12:04 PM
cgrim Offline

I had this problem:
Code:
The installer is unable to run in graphical mode.  
Try running the installer with the -console or -silent flag
... during of some DCTM product installation on 64bit Fedora, because DCTM installator uses 32bit Java and my problem was in missing libXp.so.6. So I installed libXp.i386 package and problem was solved for me.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:48 PM
cgrim Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: The installer is unable to run in graphical mode

It's funny when I found this thread by google search when solving "The installer is unable to run in graphical mode." problem again on fresh install of Fedora 15 -> History repeats its self ;-)

Installing of libXp.i686 wasn't enough in 64bit F15 now so I tried another approach: installer produces log (for me it was dfcLinuxSuiteSetup.bin-shelltrace.log) where it is written exactly the command it uses to launch installer. So I copied the command, redirected paths from bundled JRE to my own installation of SUN's 32bit JRE1.5 and than installation worked like a charm ;-)

BTW: probably after another 3 years I will find this post useful for me again :-)))

Tags
graphical, installer, mode, run, unable