Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd January 2008, 04:23 PM
helsinki101 Offline

fail to boot from DVD

hi, I trying to upgrade my FC4 to FC8 by a complete DVD that I've downloaded. When I boot from DVD, it says ''gnu loading stage2'' and then ignor booting from DVD and simply goes back to the previous boot manager that I had (like when I boot normaly from hard-drive). What is this ''gnu loading stage2'' ? do i need to get some file more? I google it, but no idea still !
cheers..helsinki
Old 23rd January 2008, 10:32 PM
stoat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by helsinki101

do i need to get some file more?
No. You should never have to do that. Something else is wrong.

Hello helsinki101,

I recommend that you first verify the downloaded ISO file by comparing its SHA-1 hash to the one in the text file SHA1SUM on the server where you got the ISO file. If you no longer have the ISO file, there is a way to generate a valid SHA-1 hash directly from the DVD that you created. If you need some help with any of that, see another thread here.

After that, I would burn a new disk and have your burning software verify the data after burning.

Finally, I would use a brand or type of disk known to produce good results on your equipment (both writing and reading). I promise you that not all disks are equal. You can also try burning at less than your disk's maximum rated speed.

P.S.: I will let someone else try to talk you out of that FC4-to-F8 upgrade.

Last edited by stoat; 23rd January 2008 at 10:35 PM.

Tags
boot, dvd, fail