Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd January 2008, 04:00 PM
affinity07 Offline

I need help with a webserver

Hello,

I currently own a computer store and we have an employee who does web design for our customers. I now own virtual hosting package at a hosting company to host these sites...but it is getting very expensive. I just built a server using fedora core 7 and im asking for some advice on how to get 15-20 web sites on this server and on the internet I am very noobish when it comes to Linux. Also we currently have webmin install too. If you need more info please respond. Thank you very much in advance.

Affinity07
Old 23rd January 2008, 04:15 PM
Zero-Override Offline

are you talking 15-20 different websites or a single website with 15-20 pages?

webmin is a really good tool btw, i use it myself to

apache is what you need to install and configure, and i proper internetconnection to your bussiness to support the page/pages
Old 23rd January 2008, 04:49 PM
affinity07 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-Override
are you talking 15-20 different websites or a single website with 15-20 pages?

webmin is a really good tool btw, i use it myself to

apache is what you need to install and configure, and i proper internetconnection to your bussiness to support the page/pages
15-20 websites
Old 23rd January 2008, 05:06 PM
forkbomb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinity07
15-20 websites
15-20 full sites? I hope that's one heck of a server box and connection, especially some pretty heavy-duty dedicated upload bandwidth (which may be more expensive than your hosting plan) and substantial harddrive configuration (RAID mirroring advised). If they're low-traffic and low-content websites, that's a different matter.

I'd guess you'll probably need a full LAMP stack - standard fare for web servers (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl/PHP/Python). I know some people speak highly of xampp if you can get by the weird stock photography.
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Also, Fedora is not the best distro for long-term production servers. I'd consider CentOS for a production server instead of Fedora, because Fedora versions go EOL at the end of 13 months or so.

(In fact if I go with home-based web service - and I might - I'll look into CentOS, Debian, or Slackware. I should also add that if you're "noobish" by your own admission, serving 15-20 websites out of a DIY server might leave you discouraged. That's a tall order for a beginner.)

Last edited by forkbomb; 23rd January 2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 23rd January 2008, 05:10 PM
Zero-Override Offline

no expert on apache but i believe that would require 15-20 instances of apache

you'd need either 15-20 ip adresses, or you'd need to set up virtual ip's (the latter would be waaaay cheaper but might be hard)

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...7&goto=newpost

this thread will help you out a lot

and maybe the other poster can help you a bit further, this isn't my point of expertise (though i have some experience in the matter)
Old 23rd January 2008, 05:32 PM
affinity07 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvanwyk
15-20 full sites? I hope that's one heck of a server box and connection, especially some pretty heavy-duty dedicated upload bandwidth (which may be more expensive than your hosting plan) and substantial harddrive configuration (RAID mirroring advised). If they're low-traffic and low-content websites, that's a different matter.

I'd guess you'll probably need a full LAMP stack - standard fare for web servers (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl/PHP/Python). I know some people speak highly of xampp if you can get by the weird stock photography.
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Also, Fedora is not the best distro for long-term production servers. I'd consider CentOS for a production server instead of Fedora, because Fedora versions go EOL at the end of 13 months or so.

(In fact if I go with home-based web service - and I might - I'll look into CentOS, Debian, or Slackware. I should also add that if you're "noobish" by your own admission, serving 15-20 websites out of a DIY server might leave you discouraged. That's a tall order for a beginner.)
there is only about 2 big ones and the rest are just informational
Old 23rd January 2008, 05:35 PM
affinity07 Offline

and there is only 10 right at the moment
Old 24th January 2008, 06:11 AM
Zigzagcom Offline

Tip: <Virtual Hosts>
Like that you can get by with a single ip address, as long as you restrict e-commerce or basically SSL on port 443 to one ip address/site pair (if you use that). I know that this is rather short, but you'll have to do the heavy reading if you want to run your own www server. There are a number of steps to consider, besides just running the web server. You'll need a DNS service provider, unless you also want to run that service and you'll also need to manage the domain names at the registrar. But with enough determination, you'll get there.
Old 24th January 2008, 03:38 PM
InfRecursion Offline

I'm currently run 5 websites over a Fedora 8 server (recently upgraded from FC6). The data is mirrored to a CentOS server for failover, why its not the other way around is not too important. Basically, when the Fedora distro reaches EOL... it doesn't mean it stops working, so you can continue to run your setup from which ever Fedora version you wanted.

A static IP address would be nice, but you can run it off a dynamic IP also. You will need your DNS service and Domain name registered... then the rest is just a matter of installing a LAMP stack and configuring the Virtual Host directives in the httpd.conf file. Then of course, lockind down the server so you don't get hacked into.
Old 24th January 2008, 03:58 PM
forkbomb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfRecursion
I'm currently run 5 websites over a Fedora 8 server (recently upgraded from FC6). The data is mirrored to a CentOS server for failover, why its not the other way around is not too important. Basically, when the Fedora distro reaches EOL... it doesn't mean it stops working, so you can continue to run your setup from which ever Fedora version you wanted.
True, but it's okay to at least have the option of updating through the official package manager.
Old 24th January 2008, 06:56 PM
SendDerek Offline

I don't know about running 10 professional websites, but I do know how to setup a simple webserver. Maybe my little tutorial will at least help guide things along? It's very "newbish" because I'm "newbish" at web server administration.

Just trying to help...
Old 24th January 2008, 11:09 PM
BlueC Offline

See this link - just ignore the Email, DNS and ISPConfig bits if they aren't relevant.

Fedora 8 Server Setup: LAMP, Email, DNS, FTP, ISPConfig (a.k.a. The Perfect Server)

Oh yeah, for a production environment I'd highly recommend CentOS instead of Fedora.
Old 26th January 2008, 04:44 PM
notageek Offline

Expanding Zigzagcom's idea,
Multiple websites can be run on a single server by adding the following config in the
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
Code:
# VirtualHost: If you want to maintain multiple domains/hostnames on your
# machine you can setup VirtualHost containers for them. Most configurations
# use only name-based virtual hosts so the server doesn't need to worry about
# IP addresses. This is indicated by the asterisks in the directives below.

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host.example.com
    DocumentRoot /www/docs/dummy-host.example.com
    ServerName dummy-host.example.com
    ErrorLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
    CustomLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common
</VirtualHost>
With each new website enclosed into the
Code:
 <VirtualHost *:80> </VirtualHost>
A complete manual for Apache is available in the
/usr/share/doc/apache2-doc/manual/
Hope this is helpful.
Old 27th January 2008, 06:35 AM
av1611 Offline

go to howtoforge and do the fedora perfect server with ISPConfig. It will do all you want.
Old 27th January 2008, 10:41 AM
BlueC Offline

i think thats what i said

Tags
webserver