i'm running fedora8 x86_64 on a hp 6910p laptop. When i boot with network connection, i.e. network cable connected with link, i have no problems. However, if i boot without network connection, i get a series of weird problems:
- wicd (network manager) tray applet wont start, showing dbus error.
- automounting of usb doesnt work (i can mount it manually)
- hibernate and suspend buttons are missing from shutdown application.
- bluetooth manager applet on panel does not work
- power applet on panel does not work (showing battery power)
the first issue shows what i think might be the root cause - dbus. If i open wicd's dbus config file for editing (/etc/dbus-1/system.d/wicd.conf) and then close it again _without_ editing, the wicd tray application will start up fine... weird, huh?
if i restart the dbus daemon (message bus) at startup (rc.local), i actually solve most of the problems but also gets new ones:
- sound does not work
- automount of usb still does not work
Any ideas, experiences from similar problems with dbus? Any help would be greatly appreciated!