Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd February 2004, 06:34 PM
lupin Offline

I have windows XP, I want to upgrade!

I am new to linux. Dont be too hard on me. I have been wanting to try linux and all it's potential for over 3 years but just haven't. Dont ask why but I just haven't. Something in me said, "Go get one now!"

So I bought Fedora Core, 3 disc for like 5 bux. Hoping it's a full os, i dont know what I'm suppose to get on these cd's either. I also got pclinuxos cuz I thought that having a cd os would be convienient!

Anyway I'm plan on upgrading my 1000mhz test computer to Fedora. Is it simple and plain? Just pop the cd in and do an upgrade and keep all of your files? Or do I have to format the drive with the Caldera files or something. If I dont I want to use fedora on my Main computer. I am a microsoft certified guy, but do not I repeat do not want to conform to just MICROSOFT only. I want to learn as much as I can. I really am excited to learn this whole new beast. If anyone can help me with basic info on this and anything linux related I would be appreciative.
Old 23rd February 2004, 06:47 PM
Ug Offline
Retired Community Manager

You should be able to set up a dual boot easily enough during the installation process.

If you want to keep your current data, backup your data for safety reasons and create a partiton of at least 3 GB for Fedora Core 1. You can create partitions using software like Partition Magic in Windows or use the one in the Fedora Core Installer.

Otherwise just set your bios to read CDROM first, then put CD1 in. Restart the machine, and off you go on the installation process!

Please adhere to the FedoraForum Guidelines.
Old 23rd February 2004, 07:58 PM
masteq Offline

Welcome (I am new to Linux too - 8 months or so)

Yep - pop the CD in and go!

From experience, if you can get your old files off the 1000mhz machine that is better - you do have the potential of losing your files. Fedora is a great learning distribution and fedoranews.org is also a great site for getting help/info.

Another word of advise, if your other machine can run VMWare, download an eval and use that too. The snapshot feature in VMWare helped me when learning when I would make a change that would totally mess up Linux I could get right back.

Coming from M$ too, Linux takes some patience in the beginning. It can get frustrating but when you start to feel like you can drive it, it is a great feeling!
Old 23rd February 2004, 09:47 PM
lupin Offline

OK

Well i pretty much figured I would have to do a backup! That's ok i guess. My prob is I have a lot of programs installed on my main comp. Which microsoft apps are compatible? How many programs aren't compatible?
Old 23rd February 2004, 10:01 PM
Ug Offline

Nearly all applications in windows will not work directly in Linux. But programs such as Wine can emulate the windows environment and allow you to run many windows programs.

But the best thing to do is not to seek to port windows applications but to use some of the fantastic alternatives to the Windows programs. A very good table of alternatives can be found here.

Old 23rd February 2004, 10:34 PM
lupin Offline

Thankyou for being so quick to answer! I really want to be vast at my computer skills and use as many programs as I can. Mainly because I am studying visual studios .net right now. That would be my main concern as a program to be used. If I choose to replace my XP environment with Fedora, that would be the main program used. Plus I am an avid Counter-Strike gamer so I would also need to be able to use STEAM too!
Old 24th February 2004, 03:18 AM
crackers Offline

If that's the case, the I would not recommend moving to Linux. VS .Net will not run under Linux, nor will CS (not without some work).

I think you're working under the assumption that Linux is "just another Windows" - it's not. Comparing Windows to Linux is like comparing Microsoft to ... well, Apple. They are not the same thing. Two totally different environments.
Old 24th February 2004, 05:31 AM
Bana Offline

Despite what the previous poster said, I would still recommend installing linux and at least giving it a spin around the block. I did this about 2 or 3 times over the last couple of years (going all the way back to Corel linux) and everytime I learned a little more, used it a little longer before switching back to windows but it always left a hunger at the back of my mind that brought me back again and here I am, finally for good.

For Counterstrike you could probably use WineX and play with a high rate of success. I don't know about VS.net but you might find something in regards to CodeWeavers CrossOver Office

Whatever your choice: Good luck!

ps: you might find some good info here:
http://linux.about.com/cs/linux101/a/newbieguide.htm
http://www.linuxworld.com/story/32810_p.htm
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/
Old 24th February 2004, 07:27 AM
Ug Offline

But the best thing to do, is do a dual boot. So you can still fall back on Windows if you need too.

That way you get potentially the best of both worlds.

Old 24th February 2004, 06:30 PM
MiNoS Offline

Just one question... there is a software to part the HD within the Fedora Installation That enables me to place the preinstalled XP on one part of the HD, set up a dual (or trible) boot system and allows me to install FC1?

Just asking because I get a new system next week but I want to keep up-to-date with windows and thus want to keep XP. I also want to switch between my standard OS (FC1) and test versions (eg FC2 or other Distros).
Old 24th February 2004, 06:36 PM
Ug Offline

Yes there is.

Old 24th February 2004, 07:23 PM
MiNoS Offline

How easy is it to install for example FC1, FC2test and XP and do I have to take care to prevent that FC1 and FC2test don't mix even if I use the same profil with the user account in FC1 and FC2 (not as root)?

PS: Yep, I will write a how-to-do-it so others might be able to find some help.
Old 24th February 2004, 07:36 PM
Ug Offline

I can't see it being that hard. But i'd install them in this order: Win Xp, FC1 and then FC2.

Try to plan to have a seperate / partition for FC2 smaller than the FC1 version. But at the same time have a shared /home mount point so that files can easily be transferred between the two.

Old 24th February 2004, 07:42 PM
MiNoS Offline

Thx, I will try that
Old 24th February 2004, 10:02 PM
Ug Offline

The shared /home mount point also means that if one of the FC's gets corrupted (i.e. the test) you don't lose everything.

Tags
upgrade, windows