<---- template headericclude ----->
Turbo Tax and FC8? Wine, perhaps?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turbo Tax and FC8? Wine, perhaps?

Anyone know if Wine will run TurboTax 2008? I'm tempted to try filing with the computer instead of with my CPA this time around...and just wondered if anyone's used TurboTax yet. I still have XP kicking around somewhere so it's not a show stopper, but I hate XP.

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to turbotax.com for a quick check and linux is not supported, but using IE4linux, I was able to at least start the process. Don't know if it will work all the way through. Actually, I'm using my wife's Windows machine to file with them. No sense screwing up something so critical with 'maybe' solutions.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    H&R Blocks online software works fine. It says that it is incompatible with the OS, but for it lists Firefox 2.0 as a compatible browser. Everything seems to work though if you click past the "incompatibilities" screen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorta thinking of not using the online stuff, but going out and buying the program and trying to run it under Wine. Anyone try this option? I know it's technically not supported, but ABC.com's viewer isn't either and lo and behold, add a little Wine and it works just fine. I'm mainly wondering if anyone's gone that route before I go out and drop 80 bucks on software that's not going to work (and says it won't!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI:

I used Turbo tax online last year, and even though the message came up that my browser was not supported, I clicked the continue anyway. Worked fine. This year there is no continue anyway button, so I called them, and they flat out said, " no Linux support this year"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to use Firefox under Wine and things seemed to work fine. I didn't follow through to the end, but just tested it out. The only problem was when I didn't initially make an account and the "reminder" window came up later. For some reason, be it a Javascript issue or something else, the window wouldn't register my clicks. But when I made an account everything seemed to work fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TurboTax is one of the reasons I keep my XP partition around. I have heard that even under Wine it has problems with electronic filing near the end. If I had a more robust system I would probably virtualize XP. The web application is pretty nice but the software standalone version is still faster and has more features.
    Fedora 9 / XFCE 4.4.2
    Athlon Thunderbird CPU 1.3 GigHz
    750 MB RAM
    Nvidia Gforce 6200
    Mozilla Seamonkey 1.1.9 browser with MonkeyMenu Extension

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used TurboTax to file online this year. Firefox worked fine all the way through the process, though it warned me that there might be issues since I wasn't on a supported platform (I just clicked continue). At one point it threw some Flash at me, but luckily that was working so everything went without a hitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i will have to give H&R tax Cut a try in fedora ( currently it is on the win xp drive)
    OpenSUSE 13.2-64bit & Scientific Linux 6.6-64bit ( fedora 4 to 11) and 20 on KVM
    My Celestia Downloads

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10