Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th January 2008, 05:48 PM
Ujjwol Offline

Thumbs down Install KDE4

How can we install KDE 4 via yum??
Thanks in ADVANCE
Old 13th January 2008, 06:08 PM
xeonman9000 Offline

To be honest, I don't think there is a convincing reason to upgrade yet, wait another 6-12 months until the next release is out which will have more features/ be more stable. In the mean time, you can try an F9 live CD with KDE 4:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=178039
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
2x1024Mb Patriot DDRII-800MHz RAM
320Gb Seagate Barracuda (SATA)
200Gb Seagate Barracuda
80Gb Seagate Barracuda
NEC SATA DVD-RAM drive
Sony Floppy Drive
X-Pro Card Reader
380-watt Coolermaster eXtreme PSU
BFG 256Mb 7600GT OC graphics card
C-media soundcard
Dual LG L194WT 19" widescreen monitors
Registered Linux User: #423549
Old 13th January 2008, 07:52 PM
Brian1 Offline

Download the source and install. Plenty of docs on thier site to install. I guess someone has created rpms already. I would google for ' rpm kde4 ' and see what is out there. I would have a backup to restore if you don't like it.

Brian
Old 13th January 2008, 10:40 PM
ogetbilo Offline
RPMFusion Dev

I don't think there is a way to RPM-install KDE 4 on top of Fedora without removing KDE 3.5.

The LiveCD in a virtualization environment is the best (or let's just say, painless) way of testing KDE 4.

For KDE 4, I can say that: I love it. The new oxygen icons and theme; dolphin file manager, desktop effects... There is a lot of visual enhancements. It looks very, very professional. But it is far from being complete. It's not much configurable yet. For instance when you right click on the taskbar, there is only one option that you can change. There is nothing you can do yet if you don't like the new taskbar. Multimedia applications are missing. Amarok 2 alpha is there but it is obviously "alpha". Kplayer crashes. Kaffeine is not ported to qt4 yet. I even couldn't get my soundcard working properly. It only works with flash files in web pages. Only there... I couldn't get sound out of anything else yet. But once these issues are fixed, with a little polish KDE will mark the next generation of Graphical User Interfaces. For now,it's a cornerstone with an unusual shape.

ps: sorry, I managed to get sound out of xine, but with my onboard sound card only. KDE4 doesn't like my SB Audigy. Flash files work with both though.

Thnigs that rule: Angelina, TKT, Linux, Supergravity, Alcohol...

Last edited by ogetbilo; 13th January 2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 14th January 2008, 12:42 AM
kevmif Offline

I did a yum install of all the packages in testing but I can't get it to appear in the menu.

How do I load X to xterm - then I should just be able to do a kdeinit4 to get it to load up. Is that right or am I way off?!?!
Old 14th January 2008, 12:45 AM
ogetbilo Offline
RPMFusion Dev

The package that needs installed is kdebase-workspace. And it conflicts with KDE 3.5 . So you have the option to upgrade, but you can't keep both 3.5 and 4.0 in your system with the rpms. I don't recommend an upgrade for now, unless the system you are using is just for testing things.

Old 14th January 2008, 12:50 AM
Demz

better off to download the LiveCD an use that for testing it out an report any bugs you find
Old 14th January 2008, 01:14 AM
kevmif Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogetbilo
The package that needs installed is kdebase-workspace. And it conflicts with KDE 3.5 . So you have the option to upgrade, but you can't keep both 3.5 and 4.0 in your system with the rpms. I don't recommend an upgrade for now, unless the system you are using is just for testing things.
Do you completely remove all KDE packages first then just do a yum install kdebase-workspace ??
Old 14th January 2008, 05:30 AM
ogetbilo Offline
RPMFusion Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmif
Do you completely remove all KDE packages first then just do a yum install kdebase-workspace ??
I haven't tried. But you either have to do it that way or you have to use yumex or some package manager.

Old 14th January 2008, 08:44 AM
kevmif Offline

This does not work and there is bugger all information on google.

I uninstalled all kde3 packages and installed KDE 4 - but it does not show up

Last edited by kevmif; 14th January 2008 at 09:12 AM.

Tags
install, kde4