Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 13th January 2008, 03:44 PM
chew5011 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
My experiences in Fedora Core 8

I am a beginner in Fedora core 8 and i installed a copy of it not long ago.
In the process of installing several programs, i faced quite a lot of problems.
Thus, i built a blog that writes down some of my experience in using fedora core 8 and hopefully, it will be able to help someone.
By now, i already post 4 entries in the blog, and i will keep on posting entries to it whenever i am free.
If you are willing, please drop by and have a look.
the link of my blog is:
http://totallybeginner.blogspot.com/
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13th January 2008, 03:57 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Age: 69
Posts: 22,144
I notice that you chose to use the install from Nvidia, rather than the kmods from Livna. Frankly, you've pointed a new user to a much more difficult method and one that will have to be re-done when there are kernel changes. I'd suggest at least mentioning the better way: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=99285 It's also worth mentioning the ATI how-to: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=127305
__________________
Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
Registered Linux User #362651


Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13th January 2008, 04:35 PM
Wangberg Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PRC
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by chew5011
I am a beginner in Fedora core 8 and i installed a copy of it not long ago.
In the process of installing several programs, i faced quite a lot of problems.
Thus, i built a blog that writes down some of my experience in using fedora core 8 and hopefully, it will be able to help someone.
By now, i already post 4 entries in the blog, and i will keep on posting entries to it whenever i am free.
If you are willing, please drop by and have a look.
the link of my blog is:
http://totallybeginner.blogspot.com/
Thank you.
I think this is a great attitude towards learning a linux distro. It's something that i should actually do, as i have linux notes al over the place needing to be organized. It's a good reference for yourself and will be interesting to look back and watch your knowledge evolve over time.
__________________
focus on everything...
Get Swiftfox
registered linux user #438335
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13th January 2008, 05:11 PM
chew5011 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Blog Updated, Titles available:
+ Compiz-fusion not showing title bars
+ Installing Compiz Fusion in Fedora Core 8
+ Installing nvidia driver in FC8
+ Activating Browser Windows in Fedora Core 8
+ Installing VMware in Fedora Core 8
+ Installing nVidia and ATI cards in Fedora by using kmods from Livna

Last edited by chew5011; 13th January 2008 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13th January 2008, 05:14 PM
chew5011 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
I notice that you chose to use the install from Nvidia, rather than the kmods from Livna. Frankly, you've pointed a new user to a much more difficult method and one that will have to be re-done when there are kernel changes. I'd suggest at least mentioning the better way: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=99285 It's also worth mentioning the ATI how-to: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=127305
Thanks for pointing out my mistakes, i will be posting about the kmods method you mentioned soon.
Really Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangberg
I think this is a great attitude towards learning a linux distro. It's something that i should actually do, as i have linux notes al over the place needing to be organized. It's a good reference for yourself and will be interesting to look back and watch your knowledge evolve over time.
Thanks for support man....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13th January 2008, 08:19 PM
craftyminion Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nowhere, or nowhere you need to know about.
Posts: 127
Excellent blog my friend. Well done!

The Crafty One
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18th January 2008, 08:38 AM
chew5011 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
http://totallybeginner.blogspot.com/
Blog Updated, Titles available:
+ Compiz-fusion not showing title bars
+ Installing Compiz Fusion in Fedora Core 8
+ Installing nvidia driver in FC8
+ Activating Browser Windows in Fedora Core 8
+ Installing VMware in Fedora Core 8
+ Installing nVidia and ATI cards in Fedora by using kmods from Livna
+ installing video players in FC8 (Xine Player,real player and vlc player)
+ Installing audio player that supports MP3 in Fedora Core 8 - Amarok



plz click on the google ads if you like my blog

Last edited by chew5011; 19th January 2008 at 01:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23rd January 2008, 01:01 PM
chew5011 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
A friend told me that the black background with white text make it hard for him to read the text....
He suggest me to change to some others "eye friendly" template....
so, i changed my template to white background with black text....
wish that will make my blog better....
Thanks...
^.^
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23rd January 2008, 01:39 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Age: 69
Posts: 22,144
That IS an improvement. Looking really great now.
__________________
Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
Registered Linux User #362651


Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24th January 2008, 02:36 PM
chew5011 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
hohoho.....
really thanks for my friends that gave me so many usefull comments.....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24th January 2008, 02:49 PM
forkbomb Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by chew5011
hohoho.....
really thanks for my friends that gave me so many usefull comments.....
Two cents: I'm one of the few people who thinks that light on dark themes look better and are more readable (my desktop appearance and terminal theme reflects that). To me, white background just hurts my eyes.

But for websites, as a rule, dark on light tends to be more readable for most of the human population with normal eyes (I think my like of dark backgrounds and light foregrounds has to do with my poor vision, but who knows).

All in all, decent site, but some things could be made simpler. For example, to install Livna, all you really need to do is "rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm" - no need to download it locally first. It's just cleaner and a bit faster to just point the rpm program straight to the url.

(Also, it's not "Core" anymore. Core was dropped after version 6.)
__________________
- Tom
"What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self." - Stirner
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 25th January 2008, 02:26 AM
LostSon Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 94
NIce work I wish you continued success !
__________________
Adopt a unanswered post today!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26th January 2008, 02:05 AM
edszr Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 66
Awesome blog...thanks! You helped me install mp3 support for amarok

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 26th January 2008, 09:20 AM
chew5011 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvanwyk
Two cents: I'm one of the few people who thinks that light on dark themes look better and are more readable (my desktop appearance and terminal theme reflects that). To me, white background just hurts my eyes.

But for websites, as a rule, dark on light tends to be more readable for most of the human population with normal eyes (I think my like of dark backgrounds and light foregrounds has to do with my poor vision, but who knows).

All in all, decent site, but some things could be made simpler. For example, to install Livna, all you really need to do is "rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm" - no need to download it locally first. It's just cleaner and a bit faster to just point the rpm program straight to the url.

(Also, it's not "Core" anymore. Core was dropped after version 6.)
Well...actually, for me, i can read both light on dark and dark on light and I actually prefer Black Background with white fonts...

is it possible to have a script in blogger to enable to click on a certain button to change the background and the font colour???

Thanks for your suggestions, you really gave me a good guide...
i learnt something from you....
Thanks again.


Actually, what does Core mean in fedora 6 and ealier version????
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 26th January 2008, 09:22 AM
chew5011 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Thanks LostSon.....

edszr, I am glad that my blog is able to help you in solving your problems.... I am happy when i hear that, cause it makes me feel that at least my blog does help peoples.....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
core, experiences, fedora

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Experiences with Fedora 10 fedora57 Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream 15 23rd April 2009 11:13 AM
My experiences in Fedora Core 8 chew5011 Using Fedora 1 13th January 2008 03:51 PM
Some webcam experiences with Fedora Core 3. psb154 Hardware & Laptops 0 10th March 2005 09:17 PM
First experiences With Core 3 Test 2 mattisking Fedora Core 3 Test Releases 5 7th October 2004 12:02 AM


Current GMT-time: 16:21 (Tuesday, 23-09-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat