Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th January 2008, 05:05 AM
orsula Offline

NetworkManager - No auto start up

Hi,
I have F8 with NetwrokManager working fine, but it will not startup on its own after reboot.
Under System>Personal>Sessions, I have two entries for the NM:
One has the command 'nm-applet --sm-disable'.
The other has 'sudo NetworkManager'.

After reboot, the wired internet connection works, but the wireless only works if I give the command 'sudo NetworkManager' at the prompt and only then I get the usual icon (reception bars) in the top panel.

Any ideas why NM wouldn't start automatically, but only a manual prompt command?
Thanks.
Registered Linux user #392446
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 12th January 2008, 10:45 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

Orsula, I only have the first entry in System > Preferences > Personal > Sessions. That's default and not something I added. What I think you need to do is to go to System > Administration > Services and start NetworkManager. Also check the box so it starts at boot. Save and exit. You should then see the icon in the top panel.

Edit: Forgot the screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-Service Configuration.png
Views:	145
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	14717  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB

Last edited by glennzo; 12th January 2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12th January 2008, 02:44 PM
orsula Offline

You got it! Thanks. My Systems>Administration>Services was not checked for some reason.
Would you happen to know how to get NM to connect immediately after reboot/relogin? It always takes about a minute before NM tries to acquire the wireless networks. It connects fine, but why the wait time? I have a WinXP partition and there I get Wi-Fi immediately when I login.

Thanks again.
Registered Linux user #392446
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 12th January 2008, 02:50 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

No idea. Haven't had that issue as mine always connects right away.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 13th January 2008, 09:29 AM
fb2007 Offline

I have similar problem, when I try to start NetworkManager I get an error: NetworkManager dead but subsys locked! I tried as described above.

Thanks in advance
Old 13th January 2008, 01:11 PM
nyjetshead Offline

Has it worked at all? Recent install.?
NM its set to start on boot as well as the dispatcher as per glenzo's attachment?
Click on NM and NMdispatcher in this window are they running?
You can restart them here if you wish.
Old 13th January 2008, 01:39 PM
Iron_Mike Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsula
You got it! Thanks. My Systems>Administration>Services was not checked for some reason.
Would you happen to know how to get NM to connect immediately after reboot/relogin? It always takes about a minute before NM tries to acquire the wireless networks. It connects fine, but why the wait time? I have a WinXP partition and there I get Wi-Fi immediately when I login.

Thanks again.
NM will sort of remember the last AP you connected and will try to connect again. On my laptop it will connect automatically as soo as the desktop appears.
Old 13th January 2008, 02:57 PM
fb2007 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjetshead
Has it worked at all? Recent install.?
NM its set to start on boot as well as the dispatcher as per glenzo's attachment?
Click on NM and NMdispatcher in this window are they running?
You can restart them here if you wish.
Yes it worked, but then I updated my system, and they stopped working. NetworkManager Dispatcher is working (status: NetworkManagerDispatcher (pid 10858) is running...), but NetworkManager doesnt (status: NetworkManager dead but subsys locked).
Old 13th January 2008, 03:47 PM
nyjetshead Offline

Be sure NM is killed.
Then go to /var/lock/subsys
Delete NetworkManager.
Reboot. Hopefully that does it.

Tags
auto, networkmanager, start