Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th January 2008, 12:09 PM
pamount Offline

Smile How do I put Safari onto Fedora?

Hi

I don't believe there is a Linux version of Safari. Is there a way of putting it onto Fedora (or Red Hat)? Would a Wine install of Safari for Windows work?

Also, is there a way of using fonts that are like the ones found on the Mac OS (so I can test web sites on it for compatibility for Safari on Mac)? I've read about installing fonts that are similar to Windows onto Linux so I thought there might be a similar thing for "Mac like" fonts.

Thanks.

Last edited by pamount; 10th January 2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10th January 2008, 05:39 PM
A.Serbinski Offline

Safari seems to crash under wine.

Note: Safari uses the KHTML rendering engine, which is ripped off from the KDE project. Testing pages using the konqueror web browser should give you an idea about how they'll look on an apple. konqueror is included in the "kdebase" package, yum install kdebase.
Old 11th January 2008, 01:04 AM
Wayne

What, like these?

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-macfonts - File Browser.png
Views:	979
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	14695  
Old 11th January 2008, 03:26 AM
ghostdawg Offline

Apple is just as bad as MS when it comes to sharing their software with Linux. If they won't make Safari for linux, why would anyone want to use it, same as for IE.

And I do own a mini mac and don't use safari with OS X...just don't cut it for me. FF all the way on all three OSes.
Old 11th January 2008, 08:49 PM
A.Serbinski Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdawg
Apple is just as bad as MS when it comes to sharing their software with Linux. If they won't make Safari for linux, why would anyone want to use it, same as for IE.

And I do own a mini mac and don't use safari with OS X...just don't cut it for me. FF all the way on all three OSes.
Might be a good idea to READ a post before responding to it, keep you from making a fool of yourself. He doesn't want to USE Safari, he wants to TEST WEB PAGES FOR COMPATIBILITY with it.
Old 11th January 2008, 11:06 PM
Dies Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Serbinski
Might be a good idea to READ a post before responding to it, keep you from making a fool of yourself. He doesn't want to USE Safari, he wants to TEST WEB PAGES FOR COMPATIBILITY with it.
Yup, and it might also be a good idea to just let some things go every now and then, keeps you from looking like a jerk.
Old 11th January 2008, 11:27 PM
pamount Offline

Smile

As it happens I'm getting a 30 day trial copy of Red Hat Desktop 5 Multi OS so I'm looking at the option of using Safari on Windows in a Virtual Machine on Red Hat. I'd also look at installing Fedora in a seperate Virtual Machine.

I know Safari is used by a small percentage of users and it may or may not be better than Firefox (I use Firefox myself) but as a Web Developer I feel the need to test my web sites in Safari. A couple of my existing clients are talking about buying a Mac and I have read that more people are buying Macs now.

With IES4Linux being around I just thought there might be an equivalent for putting Safari onto Linux. I know Konqueror uses the same engine as Safari but I've read that Safari for Windows uses the Mac fonts so it's supposed to be very similar (if not the same) to using Safari on the Mac.
Old 11th January 2008, 11:35 PM
hiberphoptik Offline

heh... i suppose if you got really really bored one day you could install OSX in linux using PearPC (I've done it... it takes ages to install and seems to run about 80% of normal speed) then safari up from there... can't really say I think it would make sense or be practical but technically... you could

PearPC-> http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/
Old 11th January 2008, 11:35 PM
pamount Offline

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
What, like these?

Wayne
Thanks Wayne

Have fun
Old 12th January 2008, 01:08 AM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamount
Thanks Wayne

Have fun
I should have said to do a search for 'macfonts.zip'

Wayne
Old 31st May 2008, 09:33 PM
mathan Offline

how to install safari web browser in fc9x86_64
Old 1st June 2008, 09:43 AM
MarkS Offline

Pamount, Epiphany supports the same engine as Safari (they are even switching to this engine, WebKit and abandoning Gecko for the next version). So you could
a) compile epiphany with Webkit
b) wait till epiphany is Webkit only.
Either way you'll get safari's rendering in linux, apart from the OSX form elements.

And yes, installing (ie copying from a mac box) the Lucida and Monaco fonts is a good idea since many pages use them.
Old 8th December 2010, 06:18 AM
admod Offline

linuxchrome
Exclamation Re: How do I put Safari onto Fedora?

Hi pals,
I plan to install Safari on my Fedora Core 13 Box. But I cannot find any rpm or package to install same.
I got the link http://mediakey.dk/~cc/safari-on-linux/, but not much helpful , Please Help me for a solution ASAP.

thankfully
Anes P.A

Tags
fedora, safari