Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th January 2008, 02:49 AM
ithink Offline

broken gnome-panel

So, one day after I was messing around after installing some fonts and iptables, I shut down my computer and turned it back on, and the gnome-panel was acting funny. Sometimes, it just doesn't appear; sometimes, it's there, but nothing's on it, and sometimes, some things appear, but others don't (the panel still isn't functional, though). Once and a while, it would give me errors as though it couldn't find the icons for the applets. When I log in as root, it's fine-- so I must have messed up a config file somewhere.

Taking that tack, I backed up and then deleted the .gnome, .gnome2, .gnome2_private, .gconf, and .gconfd folders, as well as \tmp\gconfd-[username], and none of this improved the situation. I don't want to create a new user because I think I'm running low on disk space. Is there somewhere else that the configuration related to the gnome-panel could be stored?

Thanks!
Old 9th January 2008, 03:48 AM
daverj Offline

I've had the same issue in the past a couple of times. I never could figure out how to resolve the issue and could find no assistance on it. I ultimately ended up reinstalling both times.

davidj
Old 9th January 2008, 07:57 PM
Omnicloud Offline

I had an error like this and I just deleted the gnome panel configuration and reset the panel....There's a thread about this on the forums, I'll try to find it for you.
Old 9th January 2008, 08:01 PM
Omnicloud Offline

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...me+panel+crash

here's the thread...the easiest thing for me was just to restart the panel from scratch and configure it over...

i see you wrote that you deleted the hidden panel folder up top and it didn't work...

That's really the only advice I have, if you create a new user and the panel is fine tho, I don't see why deleting the broken panel and having it refresh itself wouldn't work?

Last edited by Omnicloud; 9th January 2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 9th January 2008, 08:57 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

I'd try to log into the root account, copy root's .gconf and .gconfd folders into the user account. Then log out of root and back into the user account. Then add items one at a time to your custom panel configuration, until you discover what is causing the probelm, then avoid that.

Dan

EDIT: Whoops! guess I need to read closer. Omnicloud already has that covered.

Last edited by Dan; 9th January 2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10th January 2008, 12:51 AM
ithink Offline

I think... I did it :-)

What tipped me off was: someone said that using kde configurations could mess gnome up. I realized that when I was installing the fonts, I used kfontinst (don't ask me why). So, I renamed any .font files I found (.fontconfig, .fonts/, and one more) and it worked!

Thanks for all of your help though!
Old 10th January 2008, 01:50 AM
Omnicloud Offline

I'm glad it worked out for ya man...

Tags
broken, gnomepanel