Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

View Poll Results: Are you having X lock ups with NVIDIA drivers (dual-core)
YES - frequently, on avg 1-3 times a day or more 5 22.73%
YES - random, on avg once every few days 1 4.55%
YES - once or twice 0 0%
NO 16 72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th January 2008, 01:27 AM
PhillyFloyd Offline

NVIDIA Lock Ups Continue, and continue, and continue....

I have been having massive issues with NVIDIA drivers since 100.14.09 incld the most recent 167.09

NVIDIA seems to be less than interested in these issues, and I can't imagine I am the only one with these problems .. I have been a long time Gnu/Linux user back to RH2-3 days in the 90s ... and I can't remember ever an issue like this ...

Have you had, or are you having, NVIDIA lockups on dual-core SMP machines? If so, which driver are you running, or post what options you set to /etc/X11/xorg.conf or boot line that seem to work ... NVIDIA isn't helping much, so perhaps we can gather enough info/support amongst ourselves...I am curious if this is a big issue out there or not

If you do have a dual-core laptop/desktop that is running NVIDIA drivers and NOT locking up please let me know what driver. motherboard, and video card using, as well as kernel

THANKS

Last edited by PhillyFloyd; 7th January 2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 7th January 2008, 01:33 AM
Firewing1 Offline

No lockups for me on two boxes, with both 100 and 169 series drivers. I'm using the stock options used in the Livna drivers and Fedora's kernels on both. The box which has the card (GeForce 7300) in it now is a NF UltraII-M2 (nForce4 based board IIRC), X2 4400+. I used to have in in my Intel box, Core2Duo on the GA-965P-S3 motherboard.
Stewart

Last edited by Firewing1; 7th January 2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 7th January 2008, 01:34 AM
PhillyFloyd Offline

^ What driver are you using?

THANKS!!!
Old 7th January 2008, 01:37 AM
Firewing1 Offline

Edited my original post... (Sorry, I reread your post and realized I didn't post all the info you needed, edited then saw your reply )

Ironically enough, I switched out the GeForce 7300 which is working fine from my box to my brothers to make room for an ATI card which I have been having lockups with
Firewing1
Old 7th January 2008, 01:39 AM
bradchaus Offline

no problems here

Linux Rules
Old 7th January 2008, 02:38 AM
savage Offline

No problem with GeForce 8800GT or the FX 6200, both use latest drivers from Livna - version 169.07.

Savage
Old 7th January 2008, 03:04 PM
techmatt Offline

I am using a Gforce 4 with the Livna legacy drivers and my computer hrad locks every time the screen saver comes on or the system goes into stand by. My system is only using F6 on a P4 1.5 Single Core, no hyper threading. The system has not been updated in a long time since I have no internet connection at the house. I have disabled the power save options and that seems to have been a workaround for it.

Registered Linux user number 433760
Old 7th January 2008, 04:10 PM
JurB Offline

nope, no problems here.
8800GT Livna 169.07 drivers, quad core CPU.

Last edited by JurB; 7th January 2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 7th January 2008, 05:50 PM
Crito Offline

Desktop effects and OpenGL at the same time locked up a few times on my AMD X2. I went to System --> Administration --> Livna Display Config and clicked the "Disable All" radio button. After that has been rock solid and all 3D games still work fine.
Old 7th January 2008, 05:58 PM
Hobashira Offline

No problems here either.
Old 7th January 2008, 10:16 PM
Thetargos Online

No problems ever since I went Dual Core. I had constant random lockups with the FX5900 on my single core setup, though (both drivers 100 & 169). Ever since I went dual core with a G8500GT, it's been running like a charm! (except for a few problems with the latest kernels)

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 8th January 2008, 08:29 PM
Boris Cat Offline

Never had any trouble here(except for cases of my own incompetance fouling things up)

AMD X64 dual core 4200+
nvidia 7600gt card

Linux FC6--- 2.6.22.14-72.fc6 kernel
nvidia driver livna 100.14.19

Only real problem has been beryl if I switch resolutions, tends to mess the display up, however pressing the 'reload window manager' button on the beryl menu soon clears that up

Boris
Old 9th January 2008, 01:16 AM
clearer Offline

I've had lockup since long before I got two cores -- and it's been getting worse and worse.
The problem has persisted for some time (at least since the 8xxx series of drivers) and I've experienced it on almost all drivers.

I've had this problem on Athlon64 machines as well as Pentium D using GeForce 4, 5, 6 and 7 GPUs.

This isn't related to Livna RPMs -- I've had lockups with the vanilla packages as well as Livnas RPMs. It also is not related to the kernel in Fedora. I've tried using my own kernel compilations and the problem was the same on these as using stock Fedora kernels.

Last edited by clearer; 9th January 2008 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Added notion on kernels and livna packages.
Old 9th January 2008, 02:10 AM
forkbomb Offline

I've had issues with random lockups on my desktop with a GeForce 7600 GT (EVGA card), in both Fedora 7 and 8 with the Livna kmods, but I'm not so sure it's the drivers (using drivers straight from the NVIDIA site right now on Slack 12 and it's very smooth sailing).

EDIT: oh yeah - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe (think it's 2400ghz?), other system specs in the sig
Old 9th January 2008, 05:25 AM
Thetargos Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearer
I've had lockup since long before I got two cores -- and it's been getting worse and worse.
The problem has persisted for some time (at least since the 8xxx series of drivers) and I've experienced it on almost all drivers.

I've had this problem on Athlon64 machines as well as Pentium D using GeForce 4, 5, 6 and 7 GPUs.

This isn't related to Livna RPMs -- I've had lockups with the vanilla packages as well as Livnas RPMs. It also is not related to the kernel in Fedora. I've tried using my own kernel compilations and the problem was the same on these as using stock Fedora kernels.
Are you referring by any chance to the infamous bug where all freezes up except for mouse input? No keyboard, no SSH possible, no nothing, but the mouse still works (though nothing is "clickable")

This problem was particularly bad with GeForce 3 and 4 hardware, almost disappeared on my GeForce 5 (FX5900) but ever since the drivers reached version 9x it started to randomly reappear, until in series 100 it was not-so-random. AIGLX triggered this rather quick (paticularly when closing Beryl or a session).

As far as I have been able to research on the matter, there seems to be a soft lockup in the kernel module which prevents the kernel to respond to anything else...

I have yet to see this problem emerge on my new G8x based card, but I'd be surprised if it didn't appear at least once.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.