Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th January 2008, 06:30 PM
tornadof3 Offline

Hardware device to connect a TV to the network

At work we have a spare TV knocking around. My idea is to use it as an electronic noticeboard, so having something like an OpenOffice Impress slide show constantly running on it. Does anyone know of a hardware device I could use to allow it to connect at an ethernet network point to the server and display a slide show? What software would anyone use to control this and to 'get' the slideshow?

Obviously I could rig up an old PC and put its VGA cable into the TV via a converter, just wondering if there is a simpler way to do it? Any ideas greatly received...
Fedora 9 x86_64

Last edited by tornadof3; 6th January 2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 6th January 2008, 07:09 PM
40esp Offline

I think the only way to do it, is via a converter. unless you buy like multimedia systems and such, which get up there in price.

- 2 Gigs of Ram
- Pentium D 2.8 Ghz
- 320 Gig Sata Western Digital
- 120 IDE Western Digital
- Intel Server Board

-- Apache Web Server
-- Proftpd
-- Bind DNS
-- Mysql

Command Of Death
Penguin = Poof
su
cd /
rm -rf *

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Old 6th January 2008, 07:31 PM
rbo83 Offline

If you have a video card with a video-out jack in your server or PC AND a video-in jack on your TV, you can use the TV as a second monitor. The same applies to a DVI interface on your PC AND TV. This would require the PC and TV to be in close proximity...

All you need is to run the application on a networked PC that has the right video card (e.g.ATI, NVidia)

Last edited by rbo83; 6th January 2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 6th January 2008, 08:25 PM
savage Offline

I've never heard of ethernet TV's, not sure what, if any protocol they would use, but I'm sure the price would be overkill for what you want.

Personally I'd go with an old "out-of-service" laptop, small, out of the way, mount it with the TV, most laptops since 2000 come with TV-out.

Savage
Old 7th January 2008, 06:24 PM
tornadof3 Offline

OK guys thanks for your views. Looks like I will source a crappy old desktop or laptop and output to the TV. Suppose that gives me the fun opportunity to have a look at completely locking down the 'kiosk' mode. Anyone suggest a distro that will run on a v. old crappy machine but still allow openoffice to run?
Fedora 9 x86_64

Tags
connect, device, hardware, network