Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:43 PM
exutable Offline

Setting up hostname

Hi I am trying to set up my hostname for my server. Currently I can't access it from the internet using my ip from whatismyip.org or using my domain name daneshea.com. The real reason i need it set up as well is because Fedora Directory Server won't set up because it says my there is something wrong with my dns set up.

Here is my /etc/hosts

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost daneshea
::1 localhost.localdomain localhost daneshea
24.14.99.238 daneshea.com daneshea
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:49 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

Edit /etc/sysconfig/network and change the hostname there.

[glenn@toshiba ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=toshiba
NETWORKING_IPV6=no

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 4th January 2008, 12:00 AM
exutable Offline

This is what it currently looks like:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=daneshea.com

Is that wrong?
Old 4th January 2008, 12:15 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

Oops! I misread your post, or didn't pay close enough attention. I thought you wanted to set the hostname for the computer. Look here for something that may help. I know, it's Fedora Core 5 stuff but basically still the same.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 4th January 2008, 12:16 AM
Brian1 Offline

A few questions.
You have the domain daneshea.com. Is there any services running now like ssh, web, or other server?
Is there a router connectted to the Internet and then to this machine?
Is a standard store bought basic router?

Now if directly connected to the Internet are the ports needed for the services needed are open?
If the system can be see from a different location on the Internet and using a linux firewall then you will need to add some dnat rules to be able for the domain name to work locally. If you have a basic store bought router then you are not going to have any luck because most I have seen lack the ability to do what you are asking.

Brian
Old 4th January 2008, 12:35 AM
stevea Offline

Same here. Your
# nslookup daneshea.com
Server: 192.168.0.1
Address: 192.168.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: daneshea.com
Address: 24.14.99.238

--
So your name correctly resolves to that IP, but is your WAN interface assigned to 24.14.99.238
Type "ip addr" will tell.

Does your firewall have any "holes" for external services (like ssh) ?
"nmap daneshea.com" reports that your ports are all closed and blocking pings.
Old 4th January 2008, 12:40 AM
stevea Offline

Quote:
# nmap -P0 daneshea.com

Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2008-01-03 18:32 EST
All 1697 scanned ports on c-24-14-99-238.hsd1.ca.comcast.net (24.14.99.238) are filtered

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 341.789 seconds
Huh - wonder why it's reported up. I think it's your firewall.
Old 4th January 2008, 01:05 AM
Brian1 Offline

I kind of wondered the same doing similair checks like Stevea. Being on comcast are you allowed to do this as a business account. Some times comcast does blocking on IPs for common ports.

Brian
Old 4th January 2008, 01:28 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

I'm on Comcast and I have port 80 forwarded through my router to the ip of another computer here. My johnson.homelinux.net name is through DynDns and I guess that translates to my public ip? It's not a business account and has extremely low traffic. Haven't heard anything from Comcast telling me I'm in violation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 4th January 2008, 02:06 AM
Brian1 Offline

To Glennzo. Just seen some services blocked depending on Comcast area. Now I assume you can type say.
http://www.johnson.homelinux.net from your home lan network and see the web server?
I say it is because one is using a remote DNS server service to translate the IP around. In executable question I am assumeing the OP is running their own DNS server on the lan. Just don't that info and other info about the OPs network setup and services running to figure out what is going on.

Brian
Old 4th January 2008, 03:09 AM
exutable Offline

Ok just to clarify some things for everybody about my setup. I am going through a linksys WRT54G router. I don't have my own DNS server I have a domain at B-One.net and mask my IP with the domain name. I don't run a firewall on Linux but I don't have any ports open either. I do know however that this is possible as I have done it before and this is my third time making a Fedora 8 server within the past 3 months. Now I am going to try all those things and comeback! Thanks for your replies!
Old 4th January 2008, 03:33 AM
exutable Offline

Hey it works! All I did forward some ports! I appreciate it!
Old 4th January 2008, 09:46 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exutable
Ok just to clarify some things for everybody about my setup. I am going through a linksys WRT54G router. I don't have my own DNS server I have a domain at B-One.net and mask my IP with the domain name. I don't run a firewall on Linux but I don't have any ports open either. I do know however that this is possible as I have done it before and this is my third time making a Fedora 8 server within the past 3 months. Now I am going to try all those things and comeback! Thanks for your replies!
Pretty much the same thing I'm doing here with my WRT54G router. Same setup as you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 4th January 2008, 09:54 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1
To Glennzo. Just seen some services blocked depending on Comcast area. Now I assume you can type say.
http://www.johnson.homelinux.net from your home lan network and see the web server?
I say it is because one is using a remote DNS server service to translate the IP around. In executable question I am assumeing the OP is running their own DNS server on the lan. Just don't that info and other info about the OPs network setup and services running to figure out what is going on.

Brian
http://www.johnson.homelinux.net gets me to my server and MoinMoin wiki front page from any computer here and you should be able to access it too. Give it a try if you haven't already. It's full of Linux stuff you already know about.

I thought you guys were right about the firewall blocking but I also wondered if he had port 80 forwarded.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
hostname, setting