Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd January 2008, 05:51 AM
LiteUp! Offline

HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 on FC8?

Has anyone gotten this to work with their current v2.1 driver? I am pulling my hair out. Any help much appreciated. I updated my card BIOS to 2.2 BTW. I just can't seem to the the latest 2.1 driver to build on my fc8 system. I am running 2.6.23.9-85.fc8-x86_64.

This is the error I get:

[root@localhost linux]# make
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.9-85.fc8-x86_64'
CC [M] /root/Desktop/rr231x_0x-linux-src-v2.1/product/rr2310pm/linux/.build/os_linux.o
In file included from /root/Desktop/rr231x_0x-linux-src-v2.1/osm/linux/osm_linux.h:15,
from /root/Desktop/rr231x_0x-linux-src-v2.1/product/rr2310pm/linux/.build/os_linux.c:6:
include/linux/version.h:3:45: warning: no newline at end of file
/root/Desktop/rr231x_0x-linux-src-v2.1/product/rr2310pm/linux/.build/os_linux.c: In function ‘os_sd_changed’:
/root/Desktop/rr231x_0x-linux-src-v2.1/product/rr2310pm/linux/.build/os_linux.c:315: error: implicit declaration of function ‘scsi_device_cancel’
make[2]: *** [/root/Desktop/rr231x_0x-linux-src-v2.1/product/rr2310pm/linux/.build/os_linux.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/root/Desktop/rr231x_0x-linux-src-v2.1/product/rr2310pm/linux/.build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.9-85.fc8-x86_64'
make: *** [rr2310_00.ko] Error 2
[root@localhost linux]#

Last edited by LiteUp!; 2nd January 2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 4th January 2008, 03:59 PM
LiteUp! Offline

FYI...I received word via email support from Highpoint that they are aware of the issue and are working on a new source/driver release to fix this.
Old 10th February 2008, 07:11 PM
nomisunrider Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteUp!
FYI...I received word via email support from Highpoint that they are aware of the issue and are working on a new source/driver release to fix this.
Good luck with that. I emailed them back in November about this issue, and they stated the same thing then. They don't really seem to care about the issue, seeing as it has existed for almost 4 months.
Old 4th April 2008, 04:02 AM
bricklayer Offline

I know this is a bit old but I have a highpoint 2300 and I'm getting the same error with the 2.6.24* kernel update. The kernel that ships with FC8 (2.6.23*) has a pre-built module already made from highpoint.

I got the driver working using the stock kernel but this card seems to hate linux for some reason. The only way I can get linux to see the drives is if they are configured in raid, there's no normal ata mode that I could find. I wanted to add a few drives to an existing LVM and things got fubar.

Normally my fakeraid controllers show the drives independently (sda, sdb = fakeraid level 1) and I am able to partition/use them by accessing /dev/dm* or /dev/mapper/controller_unique. But this card only shows up as a single drive (sdc = hpt raid level 1 consisting of 2 drives) and I am unable to access them though dmraid using /dev/dm* or /dev/mapper/controller_unique.

I partitioned sdc (hpt raid level 1 consisting of 2 drives) and copied some data - broke the array and confirmed that the same data was on both drives. When the RAID breaks it basically hides the drives because linux can't see them unless there in a RAID array - when I reboot, there gone. So it seemed like using sdc directly was working until I tried to add it to an existing LVM in which it broke itself apart and fubared the LVM.

After reading for a bit I came across a post that suggested setting up each drive as a JBOD array and using softraid instead of fakeraid. So I configure the drives into separate JBOD arrays (1 drive per JBOD array) and whaalaa, they show up in linux as sdc, sdd, etc. All smiles I partitioned the drives and rebooted only to have the highpoint card start beeping and complaining that an array failed. Stuck them on another controller natively supported by linux and there was nothing wrong.

I'm done - no more highpoint products. Just figured I would port this to save the next wonderer to stumble across this path a few days of frustration.

Tags
2300, fc8, highpoint, rocketraid