Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 24th December 2007, 08:52 AM
DamirH Offline

Fedora 8 - My Review

Many of you may not know me, may not have ever heard of me and well... Probably think, what the?! Well... Since installing Fedora, I've just thought about writing some sort of review.

Read it or not, I'm still doing it!

So here goes:

To start off with, heres a short 'spec' of my computer:

Fujitsu Siemens, Scaleo
1GB RAM
250GB HD Space
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor

Secondly, I was worried that completely formatting my computer would be a risk because I've never tried to install Linux in my entire life. I did make a back-up CD of the things I wanted most!

So, I was thinking, yeah, you know what?! Lets just install it, I don't care if it goes bad or good! (I wanted it to go good really) And it did, it went good!

So first things first, the installation process, takes about 20-30 minutes? It's pretty fast! A friend of mind did say it might have been complicated (some things did make me go "What?!") but all I did was just click 'next'.

What?! It seemed to do the trick!

Waiting for it to install, it did. In no time. Here it's asking me to reboot, and I'm sat there literally crapping my pants to see if it would work. So I take the CD out, I press the 'enter' key to reboot, and slowly it's there! The excitement on my face when it worked!

Ok so, installation was quite easy, with simple layout colours and many options. But it didn't take long, like Windows takes forever.

My first impressions haven't changed, completely going from Windows to a Linux distro has been a good choice for me so far! I know, there are problems with certain plug-ins, applications, music etc... But you can get around them, it's not the end of the world?! You learn as you go along!

Here's a screen shot of my desktop, a bit tidy?!

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8...eenshotoy0.png

I've literally got five minutes to go to work, so I'll rush this a little!

5/5 for Installation.
5/5 for Ease of Use.
5/5 for Features.
5/5 for Quality of the Program.
5/5 for The Best Community.

10/10 for Overall.

So there we go, I'm loving this Linux distro. Fedora, Core 8.

My friends think I'm crazy, I'm just learning!

Kind regards,
Damir

Last edited by DamirH; 25th December 2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 24th December 2007, 08:59 AM
Wayne

I'm glad you had an easy install, it makes a change from reading about problems I've always found Fedora's install routine pretty painless (Been using it since FC5 and Mandrake/Mandriva before that, which has a really easy install!) F8 did give me a problem not recognising my video card but it was easy to work around.

You're working Xmas eve too I had two quick (5 minute) jobs to do, but I'm relaxing with a cold one, some Salsa and chips right now

Wayne
Old 24th December 2007, 09:08 AM
s.v.g. Offline

thanks for the good news on your installation
i hope you're not working tomorrow aswell!
Old 24th December 2007, 09:09 AM
Demz

i'll read the review once i get back from dinner, hopefully i wont be so intoxicated then being christmas eve i dont care, im having a Nice Ale beer,
Old 24th December 2007, 09:19 AM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz
i'll read the review once i get back from dinner, hopefully i wont be so intoxicated then being christmas eve i dont care, im having a Nice Ale beer,
Going out for a nosh up? Going to have sukiyaki this evening and I'm on my first brew right now. Got four more regular cans (500ml each) a large bottle of Delerium Belgian Xmas beer and a large bottle of homemade Xmas beer

Wayne
Old 24th December 2007, 10:00 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
Going out for a nosh up? Going to have sukiyaki this evening and I'm on my first brew right now. Got four more regular cans (500ml each) a large bottle of Delerium Belgian Xmas beer and a large bottle of homemade Xmas beer

Wayne
i went out to the local pub earlier an had a few before xmas an as soon as i got home i got stuck into some Ale beer i havent had before but i went out today an got a Box of beer ( 24 stubbies ) to tie me over for a week or so,

Edit Quick Note, people May wanna Get Blogs an put there Reviews on there instead of putting images on imageshack

Last edited by Demz; 24th December 2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 24th December 2007, 11:31 PM
DamirH Offline

lol.
From Fedora to Alcohol.
A good mix?
No, I'm not working tomorrow.
Student you see, but... I work quite a bit, along with College.

P.S

Merry Christmas
Old 24th December 2007, 11:39 PM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamirH
lol.
From Fedora to Alcohol.
A good mix?
No, I'm not working tomorrow.
Student you see, but... I work quite a bit, along with College.

P.S

Merry Christmas
its a good topic to talk about, specially on christmas
Old 24th December 2007, 11:40 PM
DamirH Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz
its a good topic to talk about, specially on christmas
Agreed .