Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd December 2007, 09:00 AM
G35 Mass Offline

New to Fedora, having boot issues (dual boot)

Hi. First, thanks in advance to anyone that can offer me any help.

I decided to set up a dual-boot so I can learn and play with a linux OS. I was given a Fedora 8 disk by a professor at school, so that's what I'm using.

I have GAG boot loader installed, and can boot to the floppy and XP via it.

I installed Fedora onto my ex3 partition that I made using Partition Magic. The install seemed to go on without any problems. When I try to boot to Fedora, I get a "NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart".

I've been reading a lot about executing commands, but I can't get the OS to boot so I can do such. I have no idea how to get into Fedora. I can boot to Floppy, CD, and XP just fine.

A lot of what has been posted here I bet would be usefull, but it's just all in a different language that I'm trying to learn.. Thanks for any tips you can provide while I keep searching for a fix!
Old 22nd December 2007, 02:59 PM
s.v.g. Offline

did you select to install GRUB on installation of fedora? i'm not entirely sure if GAG works without GRUB, as it kind of directs the loading to GRUB. if you chose not to install GRUB (which should be placed in the fedora partition, not the xp partition), perhaps a reinstall would fix the problem.
Old 22nd December 2007, 03:48 PM
G35 Mass Offline

Hey SVG, thanks a lot! I actually was NOT installing GRUB during the Fedora installs, thinking that it and GAG were just redundant. Out of frustration after I posted last night I installed Ubuntu including GRUB, and everything is working good. I think I'll try formatting and installing Fedora with GRUB. Thanks!!!!!!!

Tags
boot, dual, fedora, issues