Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st December 2007, 02:07 AM
axiopisty Offline

How do I start tomcat automatically when the computer starts?

Hi All,

I am running FC5. I installed MySQL, Apache HTTPD, and Tomcat 5.5.

Putting the following commands in the /etc/rc.local file start the mysql and httpd servers just fine.
/bin/sh -c 'cd /path/mysql; ./bin/mysqld_safe &'
/bin/sh -c 'cd /path/apache2; ./bin/httpd &'

But when I put the following command in the same file the tomcat server does not start.
/bin/sh -c 'cd /path/tomcat; ./bin/startup.sh &'

Does anyone know why tomcat doesn't start at system startup?
What do I need to do to get Tomcat to start at system startup?

Thanks,
Axiopisty
Old 21st December 2007, 02:34 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

Give it some catnip? Actually, depending upon how you installed them, it shouldn't even be necessary to use rc.local, there should be an entry in /etc/init.d. If there is, then all you have to do is /sbin/chkconfig tomcat on

Were there any errors that you saw in /var/log/messages? (Sigh, I know I'm always whining about BSD, but that's another nice thing--you can use dmesg -a as in all and see what's happening when local programs start--in Fedora, AFAICT, they're either in /var/log/messages, or possibly their own log in /var/log.)
Old 21st December 2007, 03:39 AM
axiopisty Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro
Actually, depending upon how you installed them, it shouldn't even be necessary to use rc.local, there should be an entry in /etc/init.d. If there is
... There isn't. I installed from a .tar.gz file so I just untar'd it in a directory, exported the bin directory, and created some sym links.

If I start it manually it works fine. I just can't get it to start automatically when the system starts.

Even if "it shouldn't be necessary" I would think it would be a possibility. Does anyone know why it isn't working and what I need to do so it will work?

Thanks,
Axiopisty
Old 21st December 2007, 02:42 PM
mattywix Offline

there are many ways to create services in linux.
The simplest but least elegant way is to be lazy and do what AIX admins do - create a rc.local file in /etc/ and stick your startup in there (i.e set up JAVA_HOME, cd to $CATALINA_HOME/bin, startup.sh). Then ensure the rc.local is started in /etc/inittab for your runlevel.

Better though is to create a script in /etc/init.d (just copy one already there and modify it for yourself), then use chkconfig to enable it for your runlevel. Make sure you put the chkconfig comment in the top so chkconfig can do this.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci speaks of his joy at experiencing Linux

Tags
automatically, start, starts, tomcat