<---- template headericclude ----->
Disable gam_server (GAMIN)
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disable gam_server (GAMIN)

Hello, I just installed F8 on a new machine and noticed a gam_server process running. This box has no X Windows or KDE/Gnome type desktop, purely server. I did not have this process running after F7 installs...can anyone tell me how to disable permanently?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the rpm it is installed it might be in /usr/libexec/. What you are looking for is gam_server. Now as root rename the file if it is the location mentioned here.
    mv /usr/libexec/gam_server /usr/libexec/gam_server-disable

Now you need to kill the running gam_server. Use the command ' ps -aux | grep gam '. The proscess ID is the second number in the output. First one is the users ID. Since it is started per user you yourself should be able to kill it as a user using the following command.
    kill -9 process_id

Brian
    Distribution: RHEL 5.1 with Pieces of this and that.
    Kernel 2.6.23.9, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plus Development src.rpm, ATI fglrx64_7_1_0-8.433-1 rpm with 3D and DRI working.
    Acer 5100-5840 with webcam, ati, sdcard reader, sound, atheros based wireless, all working. Only thing not working is the memory stick reader.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Brian, thanks for the reply. If the server does not need this process, is there a resolution that's less like a hack? May I uninstall this service without fear of any issues? Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what calls it to run in the first place. Only other option which is more drastic if problems persist is removing the gamin package.
    rpm -e gamin --test
    --test is to see what would happen if it did it but does not remove anything.

If it is attached to other rpms like gnome-menus and I don't think you want to do that. You can force the delete but may break rpm database and would be hell to fix if you don't have the same version you removed.

Brian
    Kernel 2.6.23.9, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plus Development src.rpm, ATI fglrx64_7_1_0-8.433-1 rpm with 3D and DRI working.
    Acer 5100-5840 with webcam, ati, sdcard reader, sound, atheros based wireless, all working. Only thing not working is the memory stick reader.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a pure samba fileserver with no desktop or X windows installed at all. I'm not sure how Gamin made its way in there...if it's only used by GNOME, then I think I can probably uninstall it...right? Thanks for the help...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fedora / Redhat build some strange dependinces into their rpm packages. Should see all the i386 rpms installed that are not required to be there on a 64bit system and OS.

Brian