Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd December 2007, 02:28 AM
blueboy4 Offline

Running Windows programs

I have a dual boot system with Fedora and Windows. I also have ntfs-3g installed which i use to access files from my windows partition (with read/write permissions). The only problem is that I sometimes need to run Windows programs but ntfs-3g (and Wine) don't support certain programs.
Is there any way to mount the ntfs partition so that i can run programs from it?
cheers.
Old 2nd December 2007, 02:56 AM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

And how do you think Linux would be able to run Windows programs natively without somekind of emulator?

Try CrossOver Office or use virtualization to run Windows.
Old 2nd December 2007, 03:19 AM
forkbomb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967
And how do you think Linux would be able to run Windows programs natively without somekind of emulator?

Try CrossOver Office or use virtualization to run Windows.
Well, theoretically you could run programs through WINE on an NTFS partition using WINE, right? Just set up WINE to look there and you may be able to do it. I've heard about people doing it, but I've also read somewhere that running Windows apps from their native partitions via WINE and NTFS can bork the installs of the programs making them unusable in Windows.

I would advise trying to run Windows apps using WINE from their native partitions. If you need to run Windows apps through Wine, run the installer using wine and install them to your Linux partition so that you can use them with WINE's compatability layer. As a rule, other than simple reading and writing, I tend to leave the NTFS partitions to Windows, especially when trying to emulate/use a compatability layer. Two cents and YMMV, of course.

Out of curiosity, what programs do you want to run? When I switched to Linux, I was concerned about losing certain Windows apps (e.g. iTunes) but then found all sorts of able replacements to all the Windows programs I use (excepting MS Office - but for my purposes Open Office is usually more than adaquate). (In fact, I'm having more problems finding application x or y for my Windows install that fits my needs )

Never used it, but I know lots of people speak very highly of Cedega if you don't mind paying (however, Cedega emphasizes gaming).

Last edited by forkbomb; 2nd December 2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 2nd December 2007, 03:28 AM
blueboy4 Offline

i didn't say i wanted to run programs without an emulator. i just need help and/or suggestions.

i guess i should try virtualization next cos CrossOver doesn't work with all programs. (OrCad, for example)
Old 2nd December 2007, 03:44 AM
leadgolem Offline

If you haven't seen it already, there is a wine basics link in my sig that may be helpful.
Old 2nd December 2007, 01:53 PM
szaka Offline

http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#wine
Old 2nd December 2007, 02:43 PM
NoWayBill Offline

As for running CAD in a Windows virtual machine(vm) you may have problems.

If your CAD program requires direct rendering, ie Solid Works, I doubt it will run, but hey, it might.
The system drivers in a vm are, um, purely symbolic and not the actual drivers.
Vm drivers are one-size-fits-all, there is only 1 driver for each, video, sound, network.....
The vm drivers communicate with the Xserver, which then accesses the Linux system drivers to deliver the output.

As such the drivers running inside the vm are limited in capability, mostly the video rendering.
So it doesn't matter how good your vid card and drivers are in Linux or Windows, inside the vm, Windows is running what is essentially a generic vga driver (vesa).

You are the sum of every decision you've made through out your life.
Old 18th February 2008, 05:19 PM
xvan911 Offline

hi there!

I'm trying to run OrCAD 9.2 on FC8 with wine, the installation process seemed ok, but when I try to run CAPTURE CIS the program freezes on the startup screen and even wine freezes.

What can I do?

Thanks!
Old 18th February 2008, 05:56 PM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

Start your program from command line with Wine and see what the error messages say (in your console). If that doesn't help, do that same with Wine debugging enabled. (Don't ask me greater details about debugging as I don't use Wine - visit winehq and check their documentation - their forums/ mailing lists may also help you out.)

Tags
programs, running, windows