Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th November 2007, 09:06 PM
john13th Offline

Cannot play audio or video files in F8

I have had Fedora Core 6 installed, then Fedora 7 installed and then now Fedora 8 installed. What is common with these versions is that I have never been able to play audio and video files through Totem because I always get the same error "Failed to connect stream: Invalid argument". Playing mp3 files in Rhythmbox won't either. This is extra fun because I have never had any problems with playing those files in other distributions like Ubuntu, MEPIS, Debian, openSUSE, SabayonLinux, Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS and Mandriva. This is why I don't use Fedora frequently like the others. I have all the gstreamer-plugins installed from the livna repository: good, bad and ugly. I also run the 32-bitsversion of Fedora 8. And this is the computer spec I have:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor @ 2.0 GHz
1 GB RAM
ASUS A8N-E Motherboard
Old 28th November 2007, 09:19 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello John:
Welcome to the forums

Do you have a question or is this some sort of personal Fedora review?
I'm not sure from your post.

If you need some help with playing mp3's etc, please ask and I am sure you will get some assistance.

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 28th November 2007, 09:31 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
http://www.howtoforge.com/installati...edora8-desktop
http://fedoraguide.info/index.php/Fedora8
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 30th November 2007, 08:13 PM
john13th Offline

Have you on the other hand manage to play audio and video files like mp3 and avi in totem and Rhythmbox in Fedora 8?
Old 30th November 2007, 08:45 PM
Dies Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by john13th
Have you on the other hand manage to play audio and video files like mp3 and avi in totem and Rhythmbox in Fedora 8?
Yes, for at least a year if not more, Totem-Gstreamer manages to play anything and everything I can throw at it.

However I use VLC for DVD's, never even bothered trying Totem for these since I like the way VLC handles them and the fact you can play from a directory.

For browser plugins, while the Totem plugin is OK I prefer the mplayer one, and besides mplayer is almost mandatory in my mind.

In case it helps, here is what I have installed

Edit - Sorry I also have gstreamer-pitfdll installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-Package Manager.png
Views:	168
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	14133  

Last edited by Dies; 30th November 2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 30th November 2007, 10:40 PM
john13th Offline

No, I got the same error message, even with the good, bad, ugly and the pitfdll gstreamer-plugins installed:
"Failed to connect stream: Invalid argument". Something tells me that it doesnt like my computer at all or in fact that that I am running Fedora 8 in Innotek Virtualbox. I just discovered now that the sound has been disactivated all the time and I apparently havent installed sound drivers. The volume control on the top right is set mute and when I try to unmute it I get the error message "No volume controllable Gstreamer-module and/or units where found". I had the same problem when I ran Mandriva 2008 and SimplyMEPIS. So it seems that I have no sound card installed in Innotek Virtualbox. But it is ok, I shall now install Fedora 8 directly to the hard drive and see what happens.
Old 1st December 2007, 02:45 AM
john13th Offline

Ok, I have done a direct installation on hard drive and after installing the gstreamer plugins (good, bad and ugly) and the w32codecs I can now play mp3, avi and mpeg files in rhythmbox, vlc and in totem. However in Totem when I play an avi-file I can only hear the sound from there and not seeing any picture. Why is that? Do you also need the gstreamer-pitfdll file to enable the picture?

Tags
audio, files, play, video