Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th December 2007, 10:46 PM
ackray Offline

To elaborate:

I work in windows and many different linux flavors. Not an expert but I can usually get stuff to work.

In any OS I would start with an open access point.

Then I would be sure that the hardware is configured.

In this case System> KinfoCenter. OR System>Network.

I am using KDE desktop by the way.

Regardless once you have made sure that the OS can see the hardwar then you start working it. I like the GUI applets so in my case I set it up with nm-applet 0.7.0, which is the Gnome Ap for networks.

http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/

Get it from the add/remove software tool.

I also installed some hotplug apps and a few other things that looked good under a wifi search in the add/remove software tool.

Then I just had to make sure to press the software keys so that my wireless hardware would start at boot up on my laptop.

Sorry I can't be more specific here but wifi can still be a pain in any Linux OS. Had problems in Ubuntu too. Easiest OS to get wifi running for me was Xandros.

Oh yeah, right before the wifi card started working I was getting ready to order a couple of other mini pci cards too!
Old 11th December 2007, 07:02 PM
lovingfamily511 Offline

I guess it was the threat of being replaced that made the rtl8185 get off it's chipset and dance!
Old 11th December 2007, 09:54 PM
lovingfamily511 Offline

I should be working now, but I just had to share this. I *arghh* am dual booting the laptop in question, partially due to the wireless issue, partially due to work connectivity stuff. Anyway, I get a popup, saying that there are 3 optional patches for Windows. Being a software guy, and believing in software currency even if it hurts, I first look at what they are. One of them is the rtl8185 driver, an update. I install all three fixes. LO AND BEHOLD! My wireless connection from Windows does NOT work anymore. I play with it for a bit, thinking "No way would a driver update completely wipe away a network connection!" But, just on the off chance -- I rolled back the driver. Bingo! Vista connects to the wireless network, I get through to the internet again. o well.
Old 11th December 2007, 11:08 PM
lovingfamily511 Offline

Ok, this thread may be obsolete. See http://www.sp5pbe.waw.pl/~sp5smk/rtl.html
I'll give it a whack tonight and then see what happens.
Old 19th December 2007, 08:57 PM
lovingfamily511 Offline

Haven't had a chance to try the kernel-included rtl drivers. trying to follow the sourceforge links just confuses my old brain. will give a try tomorrow if not tonight. If anyone has any early experiences with this, let me know - thanks!
Old 20th December 2007, 03:06 AM
rickyF8 Offline

Ok.... I have the same wireless card, my wireless card was detected by the laptop but some how I can connect to my router... Please help.....
Old 20th December 2007, 05:00 PM
lovingfamily511 Offline

welcome, rickyF8! As soon as I try the kernel supplied drivers I will provide feedback on this thread. I did see a web site refering to these drivers that MAY have been saying that they don't work with encryption turned on, without some changes to the kernel startup options.

Again, if you have the most current kernel, the rtl8185l and rtl8180l drivers are included; see

https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum....orum_id=652149

Thank you, Mr Kazubski, who is testing these drivers. Per the above link as of yesterday, the driver work but have some issues, and the PCMCIA interface is not well at all.

Also, as I mentioned, I did get a copy of a current linux driver from Realtek. I am running an amd x64 laptop and need to get with them to insure this is ok there. If you want the driver, Either go to Realtek's customer suppport link and ask via email (the linux drivers on the download software page are not compatible with current kernels) or I can send the file to you via private message.

Last edited by lovingfamily511; 20th December 2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 21st December 2007, 10:56 PM
lovingfamily511 Offline

More rtl8185 entertainment. Just for fun I notified Gateway's techsupport that the rtl8185 chip was causing problems under linux. At least they responded quickly, but the answer was basically "What kind of idiot would want to change the operating system, we don't support that, we don't support that, and by the way, keep the system the way it was when we shipped it, and we don't support linux. Did we say that you are on your own if you change from MS windows?" Much more polite, but basically that's their message. Realtek is more supportive.
Old 22nd December 2007, 02:38 PM
ackray Offline

^^^^ No surprise. I've found Gateway to offer great support on Hardware but the software support hits the "Please run the restore disk set" threshold pretty quickly.

My card is still working very well and I am using nm-applet 0.7.0 to control it. However if the wireless is not turned on at th start up then I am never able to get it to work.
Old 24th December 2007, 05:49 PM
lovingfamily511 Offline

Are you using dhcp? I have 2 issues; one is inability to obtain ip address via dhcp. The other is that even if I manually configure an ip address and am successful in that, I am not able to 'get through' the router. No access to the gateway interface, no dns. I suspect they are the same issue, at heart.

Just call me Still Hacking!

Last edited by lovingfamily511; 24th December 2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 27th December 2007, 03:39 AM
rickyF8 Offline

Sorrie for reply so late I have been bz lately... Thanks for the welcome. But yea I think I have the same problem like issue 2. Because I can't access the router even if i put in the ip address manually. Because I have a passphrase on my router. But more help will be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingfamily511
Are you using dhcp? I have 2 issues; one is inability to obtain ip address via dhcp. The other is that even if I manually configure an ip address and am successful in that, I am not able to 'get through' the router. No access to the gateway interface, no dns. I suspect they are the same issue, at heart.

Just call me Still Hacking!
Old 28th December 2007, 06:32 PM
lovingfamily511 Offline

I am using the driver supplied by Realtek's tech support. It is linux-specific and last maintained 08/2007; it compiles fine under f8, and seems to be closest to really working. The kernel supplied driver is not ready for prime time yet, but if someone has the knowledge and time to analyze and debug it would be good to help that project out:
https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum....orum_id=652149.

I got farther along with the RT driver last night than before, and have enough info to go back to the Realtek support organization. The ndiswrapper approach was just making me and my laptop crazy so I gave up on that. However, it continues to appear that some users have gotten the rtl8185 chipset to work using various incantations of windows drivers + ndiswrapper.
Old 28th December 2007, 07:10 PM
lovingfamily511 Offline

to be a little more complete, here is what I observed last night. The dhcp connection was trying and trying then giving up, going into a sleep state, then retrying again. When stopping finally, it gave out a message saying that no leases were found on IP address so-and-so. (Sorry, no wireless connection from linux, so I don't have the logs to get the exact message.) The IP address listed was NOT anything I'd ever seen before. I poked around the dhcp client configuration files, and found that listed; again, I don't have the linux os up now (Redmon's Folly is up now) so I don't have file names. Something along the lines of /etc/dhclient-wlan0.client or sumsuch. Do a locate on dhclient, then grep for an observed bad ip address in the config files. I don't know much more than I have been able to glean from my Fedora Unleashed book about dhcp, so I'm shooting in the dark, and reporting this to the Realtek support guys.
Old 1st January 2008, 08:30 PM
lovingfamily511 Offline

Here is the definitive state of the rtl8185l that is in my gateway mt3422 amd 64 x2 processor.

1. There is a driver for this included in the most recent kernels. The driver does not yet work, and the thread describing this is in the rtl-wifi forum on sourceforge.net. It iis a fork of an older project of Andrea M's, who was working on a nonpropietary driver for the Realtek 8185 chipset.
2. There is is a driver provided by the Realtek customer support, that appears to be built on top of the same Andrea M project. It has some recent fixes and compiles under the most recent kernel. It spits out goodness-and-light messages when brought up, but then the kerner reports a bunch of UCAST! messages. When attempting to use dhcp to get an ip address, it doesn't connect with the dhcp server (in this case, a 2wire router), and keeps trying infinitely. Interestingly, if attempting to interrogate or connect to the network at this point with WL Assistant, the laptop freezes hard and must be rebooted.
3. I am running a 64 bit Fedora, and the only windows driver that supports a 64 bit system is for vista. ndiswrapper coughs and dies.
4. There are several reports of older versions of drivers working with this chip -- windows98, etc. This seems to be consistent with the messages that come out of the Realtek provided driver indicating that it thinks this is an older or legacy chip. But those older drivers are XP based, and do not function on the x64 os.

So, until either Realtek provides a patch, or ndiswrapper supports vista, or the sourceforge project comes through in fixing their version, I will be using Windows for wireless connectivity. Giving up for the time being on trying to get this going.
Old 29th January 2008, 02:40 PM
Xinef Offline

I would just like to add my 2cents worth piece of information to the puzzle.
After updating to the latest kernel, fedora 8 detected my rtl8185l based card.
I had to fight for a while with the configuration to get it working, but it finally did, connecting to an AP with a wep encryption.
The thing is, after a couple of hours of usage, it seems that it is much slower than it should be, and I suspect it creates unnecessary interferences as the wireless mouse's movements get really unsmooth (while I experience non of these problems when rebooting on WinXP).
I understand these are rather experimental drivers and I hope they improve as quickly as they can.
Cheers

Tags
error, rtl8185