Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd November 2007, 08:56 PM
kcdude Offline

Angry Username and password???

Ok I just finished installing the latest version of Fedora, I guess it's 8. Anyway, I'm new to linux. I rebooted my computer after installation was complete and now I'm prompted for a username and password. The only thing I was asked to set during installation was a root password, so anyway I'm unable to log on to the computer because I never set a username/password other than the root password to begin with. I'm very confused. How do I log on?
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:07 PM
stevea Offline

When you reboot fedora for the very first time it asks you to set up the timezones and firewall, selinux AND it asks you to create a user account.

You don't really have to create a user account if you don't want to, but it's a very good idea to make a user account (or several) and to generally login as a user, not root.

To create (or delete) user accounts, just login as root [just type "root" as the username], then run "system-config-users". One way to do this is to use the top panel and follow "System->Administration->Users and Groups". The pop-up window is pretty obvious.

*DO* use decent passwords - that is important for security.
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:18 PM
Brian1 Offline

Is the login screen text only or graphical?

Brian
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:26 PM
GallComp Offline
Nuke 'em Alfred! Administrator - Starring in Bill & Steve's Bogus Journey

Did you tried:

Username : root
password: the password you gave at the time of the installation....

"Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy. "

BILL GATES...
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:54 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

Hrrm, it seems as if you've been one of those bitten by this new design decision to not allow root to log in on a graphical boot. I suspect there will be many people who will miss it, either by not installing first boot or just rushing through the setup screen. (This isn't blaming the OP, I think it's a poor decision on the developers' part, but...)

Ok, this should work.

When you boot, you have the option to edit grub. You see your login screen, giving one (or perhaps more) lines with a kernel name. Hit e, as in edit. This takes you to another screen and the second or third line should have something beginning with kernel /vmlinuz-(long number) and ending with rhgb quiet (or something similar, hopefully, you'll recognize the line. Get to that line with the arrow keys. When it's highlighted, hit e, as in edit, again.

You can now, at the end of the line type in

(Yup, just the number 3)

This should boot you into text mode. From there you can add a user through the adduser command (and then give it a password--that is, after doing adduser john or whatever, do passwd john.)

Or, you can possibly simply log in as root, type startx, click yes, you want to continue when you get the warning, and then add a user through whatever GUI interface there is there.

(However, that one, if you're running the default Gnome, is untested. It's possible that even if you try to startx that way, it won't let you.)

BTW, does anyone know if this is covered in release notes, or is it simply a decision that was made without anyone bothering to document it?
Old 23rd November 2007, 11:12 PM
kcdude Offline

Ok everything is graphical and not just text. I'm wondering now if the problems I'm now experiencing could be from a faulty install. When I click System>Administration>Users and Groups to go and create a new account, nothing happens at all. So in other words, when I click users and groups nothing happens. Before you continue to help, I just want everyone to know that I installed this Fedora distribution on an outdated machine (Pentium 3 with 256MB's of RAM.) It doesn't seem to be running to slow, but do you recommend I use a different linux distro. After time will the build up of applications/documents using Fedora really slow down the machine? If so, any linux distro recommendations? I appreciate all the help.
Old 24th November 2007, 09:01 AM
stevea Offline

The (low bar) recommended system for Fedora8 graphical use is a 400Hmz P2 and 256MB of memory. So you *should* be OK.

I suspect you don't have enough swap space, which may cause processes to die unexpectedly.
Open a terminal (Applications->SystemTools->Terminal) and type " free" and you'll see something like this:
Quote:
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1542756 1359236 183520 0 134684 552564
-/+ buffers/cache: 671988 870768
Swap: 2088440 124504 1963936
Except your total mem will be around 256000 (K) and I suspect your swap/total will be small and your swap/ free will be very small. Also type "swapon -s" which will tell you your disk swap size (in K bytes).

If the problem is swap size it's not too hard to fix. You should really have around 1GB of swap given your small dram memory.
Old 24th November 2007, 09:06 AM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdude
Ok everything is graphical and not just text. I'm wondering now if the problems I'm now experiencing could be from a faulty install. When I click System>Administration>Users and Groups to go and create a new account, nothing happens at all. So in other words, when I click users and groups nothing happens. Before you continue to help, I just want everyone to know that I installed this Fedora distribution on an outdated machine (Pentium 3 with 256MB's of RAM.) It doesn't seem to be running to slow, but do you recommend I use a different linux distro. After time will the build up of applications/documents using Fedora really slow down the machine? If so, any linux distro recommendations? I appreciate all the help.
This is a M$ ( windows registry ) problem , Linux doesn't slow down

https://badges.fedoraproject.org/user/leigh123linux

Tags
password, username