Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st November 2007, 04:53 PM
Toccata Offline

Building i386 binaries from source on x86-64 Fedora

I installed an i386 RPM package onto my x86-64 system today. The new program starts up and runs just fine, but unfortunately yum also installed the i386 version of freetype as a dependency. So now I would like to get the bytecode interpreter enabled on the i386 version of freetype just as I did for the x86-64 version. No problem, I thought, just rebuild from the source with my modified spec file to an i386 target as follows:

rpmbuild -bb --target i386-fedora-linux rpmbuild/SPECS/freetype.spec

Toward the end of the process, I get an ld segmentation fault

collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]

followed by a slew of compatibility errors like this:

/usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `/home/Jim/rpmbuild/BUILD/freetype-2.3.5/objs/.libs/ftsystem.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output

and finally a make error:

make: *** [/home/Jim/rpmbuild/BUILD/freetype-2.3.5/objs/libfreetype.la] Error 1
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.48102 (%build)

I'm still pretty new at this. These error messages have me stumped. Is there something simple I have missed?
Old 21st November 2007, 05:24 PM
leigh123linux

Try

rpmbuild -bb --target=i386 rpmbuild/SPECS/freetype.spec
Old 21st November 2007, 06:09 PM
Toccata Offline

Leigh123,

I actually tried that first (without the equal sign). Same result. I just tried it with the equal sign, but again, same output. It's definitely getting the message that I want i386. The first screen message is "Building for target i386". The command line option is supposed to be an override, but maybe there is a conflict somewhere.
Old 21st November 2007, 06:50 PM
leigh123linux

Ok try building it using mock instead
Code:
yum install mock
then add the group mock to your user group , after this logout and back in

then build a modified srpm and build it using mock ( change the path for the srpm )

Code:
rpmbuild -bs --with withhout_bytecode_interpreter=0 freetype.spec
mock -r fedora-8-i386  rebuild /home/leigh/rpmbuild/SRPMS/freetype-2.3.5-3.fc8.src.rpm

P.S I got the same error using rpmbuild but mock worked OK
Old 21st November 2007, 10:13 PM
Toccata Offline

Thanks for investigating this. I tried your method, but when I run mock, it hangs at "State Changed: enabling root cache" - no cpu usage, nothing for several minutes.

I must admit that I didn't quite understand your instructions about adding the group mock to my user group. I don't know how to add a group to a group. I just added myself as a user to the mock group. Is that what you meant?
Old 21st November 2007, 10:21 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata
Thanks for investigating this. I tried your method, but when I run mock, it hangs at "State Changed: enabling root cache" - no cpu usage, nothing for several minutes.

I must admit that I didn't quite understand your instructions about adding the group mock to my user group. I don't know how to add a group to a group. I just added myself as a user to the mock group. Is that what you meant?
Mock will download the required packages to build the package , when the download is complete these are installed in a chroot environment this can take sometime depending on download speed.

Quote:
I just added myself as a user to the mock group. Is that what you meant?
yes
Old 21st November 2007, 11:22 PM
Toccata Offline

You were right! I didn't wait long enough. Freetype i386 with bytecodes is now installed on my system and my 32 bit app is looking good. Thank you very much for your help.

Tags
binaries, building, fedora, i386, source, x8664