Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th November 2007, 11:44 PM
XMAG Offline

Sharing printers and files between Windows and Linux

For some time now I have been looking for a way to to this, I have read thousands of tutorials on the web but all of them seem to assume I know 90% of it, so I always get lost during the process, I tried to follow some but had no success.

My computer, the one the printer is connected to, is running Fedora 8 but has also a NTFS partition. My brother's computer is running Windows XP and I wish to print files from there, without having to bring them here with a pen-drive or through the internet. We have a network set-up where we share an internet connection (DSL with a router modem) and each of the computers has it's own IP address within it.

As I know nothing when it comes to linux-windows integration and I have some pretty basic questions:

1) Is it possible to set-up a network like I used to in windows, where each computer can see the other's files in Windows Explorer/Nautilus? Or at least make my Fedora see my brother's files (Windows XP) (I also have an NTFS partition here on my computer, so maybe my brother's computer can see this one?).

2) When sharing my printer (connected to my computer, running Fedora) will it appear as a printer on the printer's folder in my brother's computer, as it did when I used to run XP, or will it be accessible otherwise?

3) Would someone help me through this process or know a nice tutorial I could follow?

Thanks!
Old 21st November 2007, 03:52 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

Install samba. In a terminal as root type yum install samba. Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf. In a terminal still as root type gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf. Change the workgroup name to reflect your Windows workgroup. It probably says WORKGROUP. Change it to whatever your workgroup is. Move down the file to the shares section. There's one for tmp. Uncomment those lines for now. Save the file and restart samba by typing /sbin/service smb restart. Also select System > Administration > Services and check the box next to smb and nmb. Restart nmb while you are in there. Open Network Places on the Windows box. Click View Workgroup Computers. Your Linux box should show up. Click on it's icon and you will be prompted for login credentials. Login as the user you use on the Linux box. Now you should see the tmp folder. Click on it and you should see the files within that folder listed. Once this is working we'll get a printer setup.

Note: Make the tmp section look like this:
[tmp]
Comment = Temporary Folder
path = /tmp
public = yes
writable = yes
browseable = yes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 21st November 2007, 06:05 PM
XMAG Offline

I'm not able to login, I put my username and password the same way I do to login to Fedora and it asks for the password again

UPDATE: I was able to see the folders by changing security from user to share

Also there was nothing on "tmp" or anything like that on smb.conf, I added the lines you mentioned just bellow "[printers]" section.

I didn't understand which lines you said to uncomment

anyway, seems to be working

Last edited by XMAG; 21st November 2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 21st November 2007, 07:00 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

Essentially I meant to uncomment any lines in the tmp section. I can be somewhat unclear at times. Anyhow, we've made progress then? You can see the tmp folder and all files within that folder from Windows?

By the way, any time you make a change to smb.conf you need to restart smb and nmb, /sbin/service smb restart and /sbin/service nmb restart.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 21st November 2007, 07:48 PM
XMAG Offline

Thanks glennzo, its working for now, but when I set "yes" to everything under [printers] my printer is still not showing on my brother's computer, the only printer showing now is CUPS-PDF (which didn't before) but here I have 3 printers configured, one is CUPS-PDF and the other two are officejet_4200_series and officejet_4200_series_fax from my HP Officejet 4255 All-in-one

I checked all the boxes under Basic Server Configuration on system-config-printer and it is still not showing.

Also, why can't I make a share for my user's home (/home/caio)? It shows on my brother's computer but I'm not able to access it.

Thanks
Old 21st November 2007, 08:07 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no <--- Change to yes ???
writable = yes

Been a while since I've shared a printer connected to a Linux box.

Do you have this section in smb.conf ???
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
guest ok = no
writable = no
printable = yes

Restart samba. Then go to the Windows computer and see if you can add a networked printer. As I recall I had to add it as smb://workgroup/hostname:631/printersharename

In my case smb://johnson/mom:631/epson88, johnson being the workgroup and mom, well, the computer was attached to my wife's computer called, what else, mom.

My notes may be somewhat irrelevant to your situation but maybe they will enlighten you so look here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22nd November 2007, 02:42 AM
XMAG Offline

my computer's name suddenly changed from caio to localhost, and localhost is not accessible through my brother's computer or mine... I don't know how that happened, maybe it has got something to do with me opening system-config-samba, just to cjech it out, thigs were messed up...

Now when I open a terminal it says [caio@localhost ~] and not [caio@caio ~] as it did before.... how can I change that back??

Thanks
Old 22nd November 2007, 02:55 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

Edit the file /etc/sysconfig/network. Change the hostname to your liking. I believe you will need to reboot for the change to take full effect.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22nd November 2007, 04:20 AM
XMAG Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo
[homes]
browseable = no <--- Change to yes ???
writable = yes
I did change to yes, it prompts me for a password like it did before, it is surely not my root password nor my user's passoword, since none of them will grant me acess and it keeps asking me for a password
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo
Been a while since I've shared a printer connected to a Linux box.

Do you have this section in smb.conf ???
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
guest ok = no
writable = no
printable = yes

Restart samba. Then go to the Windows computer and see if you can add a networked printer. As I recall I had to add it as smb://workgroup/hostname:631/printersharename

In my case smb://johnson/mom:631/epson88, johnson being the workgroup and mom, well, the computer was attached to my wife's computer called, what else, mom.

My notes may be somewhat irrelevant to your situation but maybe they will enlighten you so look here.
I actually don't have the same you wrote there, i have:

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
printable = yes

still nothing is showing... hostname would be my computer's name on the network right? How can I find the port to which the printer is connected?

Thanks!
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:24 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

Hostname, in this case, is the name of the computer that the printer is attached to. Here it's mom. I print from my laptop to epsonc88 attached to mom, so it's smb://johnson/mom:631/epsonc88. Of course, this is the reverse of what you are doing. I'm printing to a Windows printer from a Linux conputer. The printer IS shared, right?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by glennzo; 22nd November 2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 22nd November 2007, 04:44 PM
XMAG Offline

Yes it is set to share.

I seen in a lot of places people saying that I need to create a "fake" account both in windows and linux to make the password thing work... Do I?

So far I only managed to share the /tmp folder on my computer, but I'm able to acess my brother's folders that are set to share... Still no printer is showing...

How can I setup this?
Old 22nd November 2007, 04:57 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAG
Yes it is set to share.

I seen in a lot of places people saying that I need to create a "fake" account both in windows and linux to make the password thing work... Do I?

So far I only managed to share the /tmp folder on my computer, but I'm able to acess my brother's folders that are set to share... Still no printer is showing...

How can I setup this?
On your Linux box, create a samba user, that is, take the name of the user on the Windows box, the one logged on and trying to access the Linux box, and make a user for him. Let's say that user bob is logged on to the Windows box and is trying to access the Linux box. No go. Go to the Linux box and in a terminal type smbpasswd -a bob. When it asks for a password, twice, just press enter.

smbpasswd -a bob
enter
enter
enter

Restart samba
/sbin/service smb restart
Browse the Linux network as bob.
Now try adding a printer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22nd November 2007, 05:32 PM
XMAG Offline

ok, I added a user to my linux machine called fabio (the user in my brothers computer) and I set his password as blank in a terminal as you said, still I'm not able to access home share though the network.

The [homes] share is actually giving me acess to the "/" directory, this is how it looks now:

[homes]
browseable = yes
writable = yes
valid users = %S fabio caio
; valid users = MYDOMAIN\%S

Update: I haven't changed anything since then and now the [homes] share is not acessible through my brother's computer anymore... this thing is making me crazy...

The problem is that the only way I managed to share my actual home folder (/home/caio) was to set its pesmissions as read/write to anyone, but then it keeps complaining when I login I cannot have these permissions... Am I not able to share my home folder then? All my stuff is in it...

The only printer showing under the folder "printers and fax devices" is still CUPS-PDF

Last edited by XMAG; 22nd November 2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 22nd November 2007, 06:02 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

Have you been restarting samba after each change you make to the smb.conf file?

Yes, printing from Window to Linux makes me insane also.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22nd November 2007, 07:59 PM
XMAG Offline

yes, after every single change...

Tags
files, linux, printers, sharing, windows