Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 18th November 2007, 10:19 PM
SendDerek Offline

Cool How To: Install VirtualBox on Fedora 8

This is my humble tutorial on how to get VirtualBox properly up and running on Fedora 8 Werewolf (including USB support). It's located on my web blog here:

How To: Install VirtualBox on Fedora 8 Werewolf

Enjoy!

Last edited by SendDerek; 14th April 2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 26th November 2007, 08:17 AM
dzfedora Offline

Thanks for the blog on VirtualBox install but I can't get to it, for some reason. Is tit posted in the fourms?
Old 26th November 2007, 12:09 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

Hrm, it works for me.
Suddenly it seems we're all playing with VirtualBox, after a thread on bridged networking, I just put up my own page on it. (I don't want to spam this thread, if anyone's interested do a quick forum for virtualbox bridged network and the link is there.)
Old 26th November 2007, 02:11 PM
SendDerek Offline

@dzfedora:

This is a tutorial on how to get VirtualBox up and running on Fedora 8. If you havn’t yet, add yourself as a “sudoer” by visiting this page. Also, this tutorial is for the 32-Bit version of VirtualBox, so you’ll have to customize a little more to get the 64-bit version running (as pointed out in the comments). Everything in the "code" sections should be copy/pasted/typed into the terminal. Right, let’s get to it:

1.) Get the VirtualBox package from the VirtualBox website for Fedora 7 (as of now, there is not a download for Fedora 8 ) and install it.
Code:
wget http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.5.2/VirtualBox-1.5.2_25433_fedora7-1.i586.rpm && sudo rpm -ivh VirtualBox-1.5.2_25433_fedora7-1.i586.rpm
2.) Get the kernel-devel package (as well as a few others):
Code:
sudo yum install make automake autoconf gcc kernel-devel
3.) Run the setup file for VirtualBox:
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
4.) Add yourself to the “vboxusers” group:
Code:
su -
usermod -G vboxusers -a username
exit
5.) Run, and enjoy!
Code:
VirtualBox
6.) To Get USB Support:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...12&postcount=4

7.) To Properly Backup the VirtualBox Machine (.vdi):

Please refer to my other page here:

How To: Properly Backup a VirtualBox Machine (.VDI)

Last edited by SendDerek; 14th April 2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 30th November 2007, 10:26 AM
dzfedora Offline

SendDerek:

I followed your Howto but ended up with the following message:

Stopping VirtualBox kernel module [ OK ]
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module [FAILED]

I went to the vbox-install.log and it state:

Makefile:68: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel.
Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again.. Stop.

I would appreciate any suggestions you, or others might have to solve the problem.
Thank You
Old 30th November 2007, 11:25 AM
FriedChips Offline

would you mind explaining to me why you would ask him to enable the development repo to install those things? That certainly doesn't seem likea very wise idea to me..

@dzfedora:
can you please post the output of:
Code:
rpm -q kernel kernel-devel

Code:
[Stephen@localhost ~]$ whatis this?
this?: nothing appropriate
Old 30th November 2007, 11:38 AM
dzfedora Offline

FriedChips:
I was following directions posted by SendDerek on howto install VirtualBox on F8.
The following output received per: rpm -q kernel kernel-devel:

kernel-2.6.23.1-42.fc8
kernel-2.6.23.1-49.fc8
kernel-devel-2.6.24-0.55.rc3.git3.fc9
Old 30th November 2007, 12:44 PM
FriedChips Offline

Right just as I would have suspected, enabling the development repository got you a kernel-devel package for Fedora 9... I am a little worried about the other packages that he had you download as well... So let's start by doing this:
Code:
su
yum remove make automake autoconf gcc kernel-devel
yum install make automake autoconf gcc kernel-devel
that way we know you do not have PACKAGES THAT ARE STILL IN DEVELOPMENT?!?!
then start back at number 3 where you left off...

I really could not say what GOOD reason he could have had to tell you to do that.. I really think that maybe he thought that packages needed to do development were in the development repo.. When in all actuality that repo holds the packages that in development to go into Fedora 9 when it comes out, so using those packages is very very iffy.

Code:
Old 30th November 2007, 01:02 PM
FriedChips Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SendDerek
This is my humble tutorial on how to get VirtualBox properly up and running on Fedora 8 Werewolf (including USB support). It's located on my web blog here:

http://sendderek.wordpress.com/2007/...ra-8-werewolf/

Enjoy!
Yeah, and I also like how your howto uses sudo, but that isn't setup by default in Fedora so don't you think that would be a little confusing to a newbie when his system gave him a big fat PERMISSION DENIED ? I'm not trying to be rude but you may want to think about sprucing that up a little bit....

Code:
Old 30th November 2007, 01:52 PM
dzfedora Offline

FrriedChips:
Thank you for your suggestions but it didn't work for me. I removed and re-installed as you suggested and came up with this problem:
Error: Missing Dependency: libgomp = 4.1.2-33 is needed by package gcc
Error: Missing Dependency: cpp = 4.1.2-33 is needed by package gcc

I tried to install them and came up with this:
yum install libgomp-4.1.2-33 cpp-4.1.2-33

No package 4.1.2-33 available.
Isn't these the F9 files? I may have to remove it all and start from scratch.

Sorry, this is a real puzzle for me. ahahahaha I want to create the VurtialBox to install WINXP SP2 into with USB support for testing. I hope that one day I can flush windows down the toilet. ahahahaha

Thank You
Old 30th November 2007, 02:12 PM
FriedChips Offline

try:
Code:
su
yum remove libgomp cpp
then reinstall:
Code:
yum install make automake autoconf gcc kernel-devel
but I'm not sure what kind of depencancies those may want to remove with them. I am not at a linux box right now so I can't try and see.

To explain those packages may be already installed but got updated to a newer version when you install packages from the Development repo. So they are there just not the right version. Also when you use yum install do not specify the version.

Code:
Old 30th November 2007, 02:18 PM
SendDerek Offline

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedChips
Yeah, and I also like how your howto uses sudo, but that isn't setup by default in Fedora so don't you think that would be a little confusing to a newbie when his system gave him a big fat PERMISSION DENIED ? I'm not trying to be rude but you may want to think about sprucing that up a little bit....
I'm always up for suggestions to improve on the things that I write, but you are coming off a bit strong. No worries though. I know what you mean.

I don't know if I have to explain my reasoning for enabling the development repo, but for the most part it was only because I myself am a little new to the world of Fedora and seeing "kernel-devel" I automatically assumed that it would in in the "devel" repo. I thought that development equated to the packages that software developers needed (like compilers and what-not), not development files for Fedora 9. Oops. I'll take care of that in the tutorial right away.

Also, my reasoning for "sudo" is that somewhere, sometime, somehow, any newbie is going to run across a tutorial that asks for it, and they are gonna be met with a brick wall. I can change things around to use su, but why not just let them know how to get "sudo" setup right away. I linked to a good, easy tutorial on how to get that setup so there aren't really any excuses there. I think I'm going to keep it that way.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming, and in the meantime I'll do my best to help out the people on the forum having troubles getting VirtualBox setup as well.

Thanks again.

Last edited by SendDerek; 30th November 2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old 30th November 2007, 02:24 PM
FriedChips Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SendDerek
I'm always up for suggestions to improve on the things that I write, but you are coming off a bit strong. No worries though. I know what you mean.

I don't know if I have to explain my reasoning for enabling the development repo, but for the most part it was only because I myself am a little new to the world of Fedora and seeing "kernel-devel" I automatically assumed that it would in in the "devel" repo. Oops. I'll take care of that in the tutorial right away.

Also, my reasoning for "sudo" is that somewhere, sometime, somehow, any newbie is going to run across a tutorial that asks for it, and they are gonna be met with a brick wall. I can change things around to use su, but why not just let them know how to get "sudo" setup right away. I linked to a good, easy tutorial on how to get that setup so there aren't really any excuses there. I think I'm going to keep it that way.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming, and in the meantime I'll do my best to help out the people on the forum having troubles getting VirtualBox setup as well.

Thanks again.
Like I said said I wasn't trying to be rude, but I do apologize for coming off strong. I have been accused of being a very oppinionated person before . I just couldn't see how that would have worked for you even, so it was a little confusing to see it wind up in a how-to.. I do appreciate you taking the time to write the tutorial, it is a contribution none-the-less and after that's what linux is built from Again, please forgive I meant no harm

Code:
Old 30th November 2007, 02:26 PM
dzfedora Offline

FriedChips:
ahahahaha your suggested: yum remove libgomp cpp: ahahahaha It remove 57 kde files and programs. LMAO I am not sure I want to reboot now. ahahahaha I may have to re-install everything from scratch. ahahaha It's a good thing I really - really like FEDORA. ahahahaha WHAT NOW?
Old 30th November 2007, 02:35 PM
dzfedora Offline

FriedChips: Take a look at this and let me know what kind of trouble I am in now. Maybe a complete reinstall is in order. ahahaha

Erasing : kdemultimedia ####################### [19/57]
Erasing : kdnssd-avahi ####################### [20/57]
Erasing : kdebindings ####################### [21/57]
Erasing : xorg-x11-xinit ####################### [22/57]
Erasing : kaffeine-libs ####################### [23/57]
Erasing : kdenetwork-libs ####################### [24/57]
Erasing : kdegraphics-libs ####################### [25/57]
Erasing : xdg-user-dirs ####################### [26/57]
Erasing : koffice-kexi ####################### [27/57]
Erasing : koffice-kpresenter ####################### [28/57]
Erasing : koffice-krita ####################### [29/57]
Erasing : kdepim ####################### [30/57]
Erasing : kdmtheme ####################### [31/57]
Erasing : k3b ####################### [32/57]
Erasing : kdenetwork ####################### [33/57]
Erasing : kdepim-libs ####################### [34/57]
Erasing : kdeartwork ####################### [35/57]
Erasing : libgomp ####################### [36/57]
Erasing : amarok ####################### [37/57]
Erasing : kdebase-libs ####################### [38/57]
Erasing : kdegames ####################### [39/57]
Erasing : kaffeine ####################### [40/57]
Erasing : kipi-plugins ####################### [41/57]
Erasing : ktorrent ####################### [42/57]
Erasing : kdeutils ####################### [43/57]
Erasing : koffice-kword ####################### [44/57]
Erasing : koffice-libs ####################### [45/57]
Erasing : xorg-x11-server-utils ####################### [46/57]
Erasing : libkipi ####################### [47/57]
Erasing : kde-settings-kdm ####################### [48/57]
Erasing : kftpgrabber ####################### [49/57]
Erasing : xorg-x11-xdm ####################### [50/57]
Erasing : fedorainfinity-kdm-theme ####################### [51/57]
Erasing : kdemultimedia-libs ####################### [52/57]
Erasing : digikam ####################### [53/57]
Erasing : kmobiletools ####################### [54/57]
Erasing : koffice-core ####################### [55/57]
Erasing : kyum ####################### [56/57]
Erasing : twinkle ####################### [57/57]

Any suggestions: Maybe a re-install of programs remove???????????????? It maybe quicker to format and re-install.
Thank You...

Tags
fedora, install, virtualbox