Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 18th November 2007, 01:18 PM
PashaP Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 69
I have problem with X11 DPI set too high by Fedora8

Hello All,
I am was installing FC8 on laptop IBM T60 (ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400, 1400x1050) and I have a problem:
Many fonts appear too big because for some reason my DPI is set to 122x126 dots per inch, instead of 96x96.
I've tried editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf like some threads but there is no "monitor" section so I tried chose other the Generic Monitor "LCD Panel 1400x1050" and reboot. So problem still the same. Then I try to add "DisplaySize 370 277" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf threads "monitor" and reboot. So problem still the same.

What am I doing wrong? Even /etc/X11/Xresources has the line
Xft.dpi: 96.

Until editing xorg.conf
xdpyinfo | grep -B1 dot
dimensions: 1400x1050 pixels (291x212 millimeters)
resolution: 122x126 dots per inch

After:
xdpyinfo | grep -B1 dot
dimensions: 1400x1050 pixels (370x278 millimeters)
resolution: 96x96 dots per inch

xorg.conf:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "LCD Panel 1400x1050"
DisplaySize 370 277
HorizSync 31.5 - 65.5
VertRefresh 56.0 - 65.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18th November 2007, 04:50 PM
RJFUatHOME Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 437
Have you tried running gnome-font-properties?

Click on the small Details... button on the bottom and you can set your DPI for fonts there.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18th November 2007, 06:51 PM
PashaP Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 69
I don't find the file gnome-font-properties.
I see what after login first second (1-2 sec) resolution is correct then resolution is changing.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18th November 2007, 08:12 PM
PashaP Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 69
I am try to install KDE and problem is not reproducing. The problem is reproducing only with Gnome.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18th November 2007, 09:09 PM
lmo Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,046
Here are some screenshots of where the ... gnome to make changes affecting font/resolution.

I reserve the right to be wrong, and that there can be other places and means to make the required changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	font.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	13962   Click image for larger version

Name:	font2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	13963   Click image for larger version

Name:	font3.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	13964   Click image for larger version

Name:	font4.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	13965   Click image for larger version

Name:	font5.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	13966  

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18th November 2007, 10:00 PM
PashaP Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 69
I was trying to delete all config, then start gnome and chose fonts menu and set 96dpi and all ok

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18th November 2007, 10:08 PM
RJFUatHOME Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 437
Sorry PashaP, I should have told you to run that program from a terminal.

It was the same program that Imo showed you how to get to. By the way I set mine to 92 dpi, but I guess every monitor and eye is different!

Glad you figured it out... Have fun!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18th November 2007, 11:24 PM
Iron_Mike Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ft Huachuca, AZ
Posts: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by PashaP
Hello All,
I am was installing FC8 on laptop IBM T60 (ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400, 1400x1050) and I have a problem:
Many fonts appear too big because for some reason my DPI is set to 122x126 dots per inch, instead of 96x96.
I've tried editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf like some threads but there is no "monitor" section so I tried chose other the Generic Monitor "LCD Panel 1400x1050" and reboot. So problem still the same. Then I try to add "DisplaySize 370 277" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf threads "monitor" and reboot. So problem still the same.

What am I doing wrong? Even /etc/X11/Xresources has the line
Xft.dpi: 96.

Until editing xorg.conf
xdpyinfo | grep -B1 dot
dimensions: 1400x1050 pixels (291x212 millimeters)
resolution: 122x126 dots per inch

After:
xdpyinfo | grep -B1 dot
dimensions: 1400x1050 pixels (370x278 millimeters)
resolution: 96x96 dots per inch

xorg.conf:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "LCD Panel 1400x1050"
DisplaySize 370 277
HorizSync 31.5 - 65.5
VertRefresh 56.0 - 65.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Is that really your resolution, 1400x1050 or is it 1680x1050 ?? if the latter goto "system ->administration ->display, then click on the "hardware tab", then select "generic lcd panel" select the resolution, and save it. Then open the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add this line to the monitor section of xorg.conf

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "LCD Panel 1680x1050"
HorizSync 31.5 - 65.5
VertRefresh 56.0 - 65.0
Option "dpms"
DisplaySize 442 277 <<---------
EndSection

This will give you the 96x96 dpi
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19th November 2007, 04:49 AM
PashaP Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJFUatHOME
Sorry PashaP, I should have told you to run that program from a terminal.

It was the same program that Imo showed you how to get to. By the way I set mine to 92 dpi, but I guess every monitor and eye is different!

Glad you figured it out... Have fun!
I known
But this file is not exist:
[root@localhost ~]# gnome-font-properties
-bash: gnome-font-properties: команда не найдена
[root@localhost ~]# find / -name gnome-font-properties

[root@localhost ~]#


I think there is /usr/bin/gnome-appearance-properties in FC8.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 19th November 2007, 04:53 AM
PashaP Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Mike
Is that really your resolution, 1400x1050 or is it 1680x1050 ?? if the latter goto "system ->administration ->display, then click on the "hardware tab", then select "generic lcd panel" select the resolution, and save it. Then open the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add this line to the monitor section of xorg.conf

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "LCD Panel 1680x1050"
HorizSync 31.5 - 65.5
VertRefresh 56.0 - 65.0
Option "dpms"
DisplaySize 442 277 <<---------
EndSection

This will give you the 96x96 dpi
This is really resolution (1400x1050).
I think is should add in section "Monitor" DisplaySize 370 278, but Gnome isn't correctly working.
Solution: Remove this string (DisplaySize) and chose is gnome settings (gnome-appearance-properties) 96dpi -> save -> reboot -> add in xorg.conf DisplaySize 370 278
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 19th November 2007, 04:58 AM
PashaP Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 69
Now I have a problem with fonts
Around of some letters there are " reddish shadows "...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 19th November 2007, 05:10 AM
Mariusz W Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Berkeley, California
Posts: 690
@ Comments #2, #5, #7:

There is no more gnome-font-properties in Fedora 8.

You need to execute

gnome-appearance-properties

from the command line and then select Fonts tab, or select

System > Preferences > Look and Feel > Appearance

which opens the same window as gnome-appearance-properties.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 19th November 2007, 03:28 PM
lmo Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,046
See post #5, screenshot 3

Try different options under

Smoothing
.none .greyscale .subpixed

Hinting
.none .slight .medium .full

SubpixelOrder
.rgb .bgr .vrgb .vbgr

For me, is best .greyscale .medium .rgb
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 20th November 2007, 05:30 PM
PashaP Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 69
Thanks for all
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dpi, fedora8, high, problem, set, x11

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ueagle-atm installation problem on Fedora8 Nipponia Hardware & Laptops 2 27th October 2008 04:05 PM
Audio play problem in Fedora8 bruce1914 Using Fedora 1 15th September 2008 02:57 PM
Problem with code blocks on Fedora8 Aroussi Programming & Packaging 4 12th March 2008 11:29 PM
yum update problem with fedora8 deepblueretro Installation, Upgrades and Live Media 4 23rd December 2007 03:25 AM
X11 DPI set too high by Fedora8 and can't change microwavesafe Using Fedora 5 19th November 2007 05:17 AM


Current GMT-time: 07:01 (Saturday, 01-11-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat
Limoeiro do Norte Photos - Mehrabpur - Trikala Travel Photos on Instagram