Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 16th May 2008, 06:19 PM
ajamison Offline

Yes what happens is if you watch the terminal window when running the option of your script for DVD playback it trys to remove totem which does not successfully remove (at least in my case) then it trys to install Toem-Xine which fails due to the defacto Totem still being installed.

I am not sure if this is only present on my machine or not however. I opened your script and looked under the hood (for my own satisfaction and curiosity) and noticed you remove it using RPM instead of yum not sure if this is intentional or even the issue but just noticed it was done this way.

Any how not a huge thing but thought i would point it out
-----------------
Wiki page helping to show appropriate Fedora versions of Ubuntu commands [url=https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedorianDictionary]Fedora Dictionary[/url <--- Outdated been very busy looking to update it soon
Old 16th May 2008, 06:38 PM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

Hi Andy
i see what mean now, yes it will flash up with a error if the old totem is not installed, it is done that way because some have it installed and some dont, so it trys to remove them wether they are installed or not, i set it to remove by rpm and not yum so it doesnt remove dependencies ie rythombox mainly etc...
this is intentional so the script can work for everyone.
Dave
Old 16th May 2008, 07:07 PM
ajamison Offline

ah ok still that is the one thing I still have to do manaully after running your script is remove totem and install totem-xine
-----------------
Wiki page helping to show appropriate Fedora versions of Ubuntu commands [url=https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedorianDictionary]Fedora Dictionary[/url <--- Outdated been very busy looking to update it soon
Old 16th May 2008, 08:04 PM
Dangermouse Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamison
ah ok still that is the one thing I still have to do manaully after running your script is remove totem and install totem-xine
Hi Andy
that shouldnt be, the only thing i can think of is that you are using autonine on f8 or something, as long as you got it sorted.
Have you tried f9 yet, its proving to be somwhat demanding on this forum it takes me 10 mins to log in almost, oh well should get better soon if only they could waited a week longer to release final as alot of things have been fixed (installation etc..) in the past day.

Dave
Old 16th May 2008, 10:46 PM
ajamison Offline

I tried f9 yes then went back to f8 after numerous stability issues
-----------------
Old 21st May 2008, 01:27 AM
Craulian Offline

Hello all.

Well updated to 9 and now wireless does not work at all. Downloaded scrip try running I get this error message. Anyone have any idea why?

No protocol specified

(zenity:13320): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
Running Choice Menu...
No protocol specified

(zenity:13324): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0

Any help is welcome.

Thank you
Old 21st May 2008, 06:59 AM
Dangermouse Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craulian
Hello all.

Well updated to 9 and now wireless does not work at all. Downloaded scrip try running I get this error message. Anyone have any idea why?

No protocol specified

(zenity:13320): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
Running Choice Menu...
No protocol specified

(zenity:13324): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0

Any help is welcome.

Thank you
Hi,

well thats a new one on me, are you running from text mode ? , you can install your driver from these instructions which are basically the same as the script,

http://dnmouse.webs.com/drivers.html
Old 21st May 2008, 10:29 AM
Hobashira Offline

Very helpful script.
I have been using it for the second time (F8 then F9).
Many thanks!
Old 21st May 2008, 06:29 PM
serg33 Offline

First of all, thanks to dangermouse for this. It's obviously very helpful for the community and it's good to see people helping each other.

Now onto my problem

I'm pretty much a linux noob. I just installed FC9 and I'm very excited about it. However I can't get my wireless card working. I can see that there are hundreds of other people like me having the same problem and by searching, that is how I ended up at dangermouse's scripts. I ran the script for the bcm43xx driver and rebooted, but there are still no signs of my wireless card.

This is the output of iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.

as well as the output for lspci

03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

I have also tried using ndiswrapper but that didn't work either. The driver was successfully installed but I couldn't get anywhere from there after using modprobe.

Any ideas dangermouse? I appreciate any help that you or anyone else can give.
Old 21st May 2008, 07:01 PM
Dangermouse Offline

Hi serg33
i suspect the script will not work for you because you have tried to set up ndiswrapper etc, which usually involves banning or blacklisting the the driver, can you tell me what you did, or point me to the instructions you followed when installing ndiswrapper etc..
Old 21st May 2008, 07:28 PM
Dangermouse Offline

Hi serg33
i have altered the script to alllow for anyone who has blacklisted the broadcom driver, by un blacklisting it, so hopefully if you remove the old script first then try again it should work,
Old 21st May 2008, 07:49 PM
serg33 Offline

Thanks for the quick reply Dangermouse.

Just wondering, how do I remove the old script?
Old 21st May 2008, 08:11 PM
Dangermouse Offline

Hi try this
Quote:
su -
rm -f autonine
wget http://dnmouse.webs.com/scripts/autonine
sh autonine
Old 21st May 2008, 08:26 PM
serg33 Offline

Hi Dangermouse,

Sorry to report that the problem still persists. Here are the steps that I went through when trying to install the driver with ndiswrapper, if it helps:

ndiswrapper -i /path/to/lsbcmnds.inf
ndiswrapper -l
-- at this point it reported that the driver was installed correctly
modprobe ndiswrapper

I checked the /etc/modprobe.conf file to make sure that nothing was in there in case I created an alias for one of the interfaces. Not sure what else I could have changed, other than blacklisting the driver as you said.
Old 21st May 2008, 08:53 PM
Dangermouse Offline

Hi serg33
im assuming you have restarted and 'iwconfig' does not show up wlan0, and also you have removed ndiswrapper,
if so then in a terminal
Quote:
su
gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
and remove any line with "blacklist bcm43xx" or similar in it, or put a # at the begining of the offending line.
if you have had to alter that file then, save it and restart, and check again if your card is listed (iwconfig)
if you still have not got it working then follow the instructions on the link, keeping an eye out for any error messages then if it fails we should know what the problem is, hopefully.
http://dnmouse.webs.com/broadcom.html

Tags
autoplus, codecs, flash, install