Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 8th November 2007, 08:39 AM
stefan1975 Offline
"Stefan the converted" -- forum Macintosh® Glee Club leader

F8_x64: OOo 2.3 need to open M$ Office 2007 ooxml .docx

Hi,

i was just about to replace my ubuntu 7.10 work laptop with Fedora 8 when i realised that I have one major very important issue. At work we switched to M$ office 2007 so I need to be able to read/write Office 2007 ooxml/docx files. In SuSe and Ubuntu there is a converter available that works for 99%.

Does anyone know if the (novell) ooxml converter is also available for x64 fedora? That is the one thing that is keeping me from switching to Fedora.

thanks,
stefan.
Old 8th November 2007, 09:31 AM
chadders Offline

Here is a small tutorial. Unfortunately docx and it's evil associates have not yet been incorporated into OOo (hopefully next version (I hope)).

Download this file:

http://download.novell.com/sendredir...ror=AkamaiHost

and install it. If that doesn't work follow the instructions below (which works for all Deb based OS's and so it should for RPM's also).

1. then execute this command in terminal

alien -ct odf-converter-1.0.0-5.i586.rpm

2. Now extract generated file odf-converter-1.0.0.tgz. Go to the extracted directory using terminal.

3. Copy three files into your OpenOffice.org directories — note that the usr that you’re copying from is a directory that was inside the tgz file.

sudo cp usr/lib/ooo-2.0/program/OdfConverter /usr/lib/openoffice/program/

sudo cp usr/lib/ooo-2.0/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice/TypeDetection/Filter/MOOXFilter_cpp.xcu /usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice/TypeDetection/Filter/

sudo cp usr/lib/ooo-2.0/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice/TypeDetection/Types/MOOXTypeDetection.xcu /usr/lib/openoffice/share/registry/modules/org/openoffice/TypeDetection/Types/

Now you can open docx file….

Cheers,

Registered Linux User #442544.
Old 8th November 2007, 09:34 AM
stefan1975 Offline

hi chadders,

thanks for the reply. I did finf that novell rpm too, but since it clearly stated i586 in the name i was afraid it wouldn't install in f8 x64. Do you know if this would be a problem either for installing the RPM or extracting it as you suggested?

I have the f8 dvd mounted and ready but could not wipe gutsy today if i can't r/w my colleagues crappy M$ documents.

thanks,
stefan
Old 8th November 2007, 09:39 AM
chadders Offline

Well I use i686 architecture so absolutely no issue for me.

But in all honesty, I doubt it'd cause any issue. That's my opinion. lol.

At least I don't see any harm in trying.

Old 8th November 2007, 09:48 AM
stefan1975 Offline

hi,

i might try it then ....... but there is some harm in trying ...... for me that is, because currently it is working fine now in ubuntu and if i reinstall f8 during working hours and afterwards i find out i can't get it working in f8 .... i'm so screwed :-) but maybe i will be brave and take my chances.

i really do want to go the x64 way, i always do when I can when trying another distro (mandriva x64, SuSe x64 and Ubuntu x64).

thx. stefan.
Old 8th November 2007, 11:03 AM
leadgolem Offline

If you need them, yum can install 32bit binaries even on a 64bit system. I just took a look at the package, and you are going to have a problem in Fedora. Fedora packages OO.o a little differently then this binary is designed for.

You'll need to follow pretty much the above extraction instructions, but you will need to change the path a bit for OO.o 64. Specifically, replace "/usr/lib/openoffice" with "/usr/lib64/openoffice.org/" in all instances of the above instructions.

If you are still nervous; post me a link to a test file to be converted, and I'll give it a try on my system.

EDIT: Oh, you can just right click on an rpm in fedora 7-8 and click extract here. Or, you could open it with your favorite archive manager. An rpm really is just a fancy archive.
Old 8th November 2007, 12:11 PM
stefan1975 Offline

hi,

thanks for the help. if you are indeed in the case to try out some stuff that would be great. I found some .docx examples on the internet that are all working fine in my x64 ubuntu with OOXML plugin:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/odf...0&big_mirror=0

(it is a very small zip download which has .docx examples in it)

if you could see if this will work in f8_x64 that would be awesome, then i can decide to install f8 today and say goodbye to Gutsy.

thanks again,
stefan
Old 8th November 2007, 12:55 PM
leadgolem Offline

Is there anything special I need to do in? Opening the files in OO.o writer was unsuccessful.
Old 8th November 2007, 01:01 PM
stefan1975 Offline

hi,

i did nothing special. i have a default ubuntu 7.10 x64, got the novell ooxml plugin .deb, and then openend any of the documents without any problem. I did notice that the .docx files were associated by default with an archive manager and not OOo so I had to change that manually, but opening them / editing them and daving them as filetype "Office 2007" is no problem.

thanks,
stefan.
Old 8th November 2007, 01:08 PM
leadgolem Offline

Hmm, well, it sorta works. If you want to call it directly in the command line it converts the documents just fine. OO.o 2.3 just doesn't seem to want to use it automatically. A bit of a shame that. Though it still makes a perfectly serviceable CLI utility.
Old 8th November 2007, 01:13 PM
leadgolem Offline

If you add this as a custom command for .docx files then the converter will just drop the converted .odt file back into the same folder.
Code:
/usr/lib64/openoffice.org/program/OdfConverter /I
That works fine from the gui.

Last edited by leadgolem; 8th November 2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 8th November 2007, 01:13 PM
chadders Offline

I don't like docx lol.

Old 8th November 2007, 01:15 PM
stefan1975 Offline

OpenOffice on the CLI? I don't really understand. By the way I don' t want to "convert" the document to something else but just work in it "as is" in M$ 2007 format.

stefan
Old 8th November 2007, 01:22 PM
leadgolem Offline

That is not what this does. This is a utility that converts .docx to .odt and .odt to .docx. When used as a OO.o plugin you just aren't seeing the conversion process. However, it is still taking place.

The file "OdfConverter" is a binary executable. I would guess that you could stick it anywhere in you $PATH and use it stand alone. Though it is possible that it needs some of the OO.o libraries.
Old 8th November 2007, 01:26 PM
stefan1975 Offline

so if I understand correctly .docx files are Always converted to .odt, also in my current config in ubuntu with the plugin, because they open -And Save- perfectly right now, i can write back to .docx from OOo by selecting "save as office 2007 document" in OOo so that my unfortunate colleagues who are using M$ can read/write them too.

Tags
2007, docx, f8x64, office, ooo, ooxml, open