MythTV problem

Set up a clean install of latest MythDora on a newly built system

nForce4M-A mainboard
AMD Athlon64 3400
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2
nVidia GeForce6200
Hauppage WinTv Live Go-Plus

1024 RAM, 2 Hard Drives, DVD, CD etc.

Set up went fine, configured hard drives with LVM, installed everything ran yum upgrade setup mythtv for cable as instructed, no problems.

I open MythTV and press "Watch Tv" and get a black screen and can't get out. Thought it might be resolution, changed from 1024 to 640 tried again and now I get a black screen with four orange rectangles across with with two boxes that blink pink and green and two that blink grey and white.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?
Old 5th November 2007, 06:13 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:
Off hand, I have no idea.
However, I would have look at the video drivers that you have installed.
The latest drivers for your card are 100.14.19

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 24th November 2007, 02:05 PM
rbo83 Offline

Mythtv

You might try to look at this site, which describes the 'orange' problem and it's causes.

http://www.linuxis.us/linux/media/ho...our_needs.html
Old 24th November 2007, 05:16 PM
SuperNu Offline

I wouldn't install Nvidia's driver versions 100.14.19 or 100.14.23 if you want to watch video on MythTV. There is a bug which will corrupt the video and you will get a bunch of boxes on the screen. The only thing you can do is use 100.14.11 (you will need a patch if you use 2.6.23) or try the latest beta, 169.04.

The first thing I would do is to verify that you can watch video using your Hauppage WinTv Live Go-Plus. I am not familiar with this card, but I do use a pvr-350, so hopefully I can help out. The first thing I would do is to use mplayer or vlc to watch the video stream. To do this, you need to run "mplayer /dev/video0" from the command line. This should produce a watchable picture. If this doesn't work, then you probably don't have your card setup properly. If it does, then you don't have MythTV setup properly.

Also, according to this wiki you need to use special settings for this card. What is in /etc/modprobe.conf? Is there a line to load the bttv module? If so you just need to add "options bttv radio=1 card=26 tuner=39 gbuffers=10", reboot and it should work. If not, then you are going to need to add lines to load the bttv module. It would probably be something like

Code:
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 bttv
options bttv radio=1 card=26 tuner=39 gbuffers=10
Also, be sure to read Jared Wilson's MythTV how to for more help.

--SN
Old 24th November 2007, 05:28 PM
hiberphoptik Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNu
I wouldn't install Nvidia's driver versions 100.14.19 or 100.14.23 if you want to watch video on MythTV. There is a bug which will corrupt the video and you will get a bunch of boxes on the screen. The only thing you can do is use 100.14.11 (you will need a patch if you use 2.6.23) or try the latest beta, 169.04.

--SN

really? i am using the latest nvidia drivers and mythtv is working great for me, i am not using mythdora but i installed myth from atrpms repo... only thing that does not work is mythweather but thats supposed to be fixed in the next version of mythtv
Old 24th November 2007, 09:05 PM
SuperNu Offline

There is a thread on nV News which has an attachment which shows the video corruption. I believe it only appears if you are using xv to display video.

--SN
Old 17th April 2009, 08:35 PM
KKJensen Offline

SuperNu: I know this thread is quite old but I'm curious if you still have your pvr-350 and are using a newer version of fedora. I'm having issues getting the xorg.conf sorted out to use the video out. The rest of my myth install seems good so far. When I tell the mythdora installer that I want to use the pvr-350 for video out it backs up the old xorg.conf and puts in a new one that has sections for a television monitor...it omits the original graphics card info though so when I use the pvr version of the xorg.conf I get no output anywhere and I have to ctrl-alt-F2 to change the xorg.conf and restart to get any kind of image.

I guess I'm trying to find someone who knows the card and can help me verify the contents of my xorg.conf

Kindest regards,

kkjensen

Tags
mythtv, problem