Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 2nd November 2007, 03:24 AM
garbagedigger Offline

Question ssh n00b; login problems

I'm learning ssh and I'm just starting the basics like "ssh example@hostname.com" from a client computer to login into my fedora server. When I try to login though, the connection requires a password and so I assumed I needed to use my root password but this did not work. I also used my non-root user login password and that did not work. Is there a password in the ssh_config file I need to create? I do not see the field for it. My configuration is so far default.

Everytime I search this problem I keep finding info on how to remove password authentication but that is not what I want!

Thanks!
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:44 AM
garbagedigger Offline

n/m, figured it out. I was able to do it with root and the username account is case sensitive so it was not even finding the right account.
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:58 AM
Firewing1 Offline

If you want to start playing around with SSH, check out the -L (port mapping) and -X/-Y (X11 forwarding options) - You can do some pretty nifty things!
Firewing1
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:57 PM
pobbz Offline

And, as this is the security section, I'd disable root logins from sshd altogether and log in only as a regular user.
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:18 PM
garbagedigger Offline

Thanks for the heads up. I will do that. I'm also going to setup an authentication key between the client and host. That sounds like the secure way to go so you are not entering your host's username password each time?

This is cool, I can log into my computer from remote locations.

Tags
login, n00b, problems, ssh