Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Installation, Upgrades and Live Media Help with Installation, FedUp & Live Media (Live CD, USB, DVD) problems.

View Poll Results: is this a newbie question? if so prove me wrong.
yes 1 100.00%
no 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th October 2007, 06:01 PM
craquedndn Offline

Angry acer install fedora 7

am having problem with acer 6900 total blowout for fedora 7, apparently no sata drivers for acer 6900.
Old 17th October 2007, 06:10 PM
FriedChips Offline

what is the exact problem you're having? at what point does it tell you your drive is not supported? Is it a sata optical drive or hard drive??? Be specific!!!! Have you tried a liveCD? Tried any other distro's?

Code:
[Stephen@localhost ~]$ whatis this?
this?: nothing appropriate
Old 17th October 2007, 06:14 PM
craquedndn Offline

optical and no I have not tried liveCD. And using this distro for a class and blowing out an acer drive with no other cable.
Old 17th October 2007, 06:19 PM
FriedChips Offline

Try the liveCD

Code:
Old 17th October 2007, 06:23 PM
craquedndn Offline

this is not a google yoda answer...checked all of the google resources.
LiveCD...hmmm...does it have linux sata drivers?
Old 17th October 2007, 06:25 PM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

Hello i had a similar problem on my laptop and f7 not recognising the dvd drive, but once installed it recognised it fine, what i did was to plug the hard drive in another machine and put f7 on a partition and installed from there,or you could do a network install, or if you download a respin of f7 it will recognise the drive, well it did on mine.
Old 17th October 2007, 06:27 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Hmmm.

Ok. No Google.

http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/tor...e-i686.torrent

Just don't let your frustration get the better of you.

Dan

EDIT: I have closed your poll. It is/was unnecessarily inflammatory. Fried Chips has you covered with the info you're going to need to fix the problem.

Last edited by TangledWeb; 17th October 2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 17th October 2007, 06:29 PM
FriedChips Offline

Look, I have heard of many problems install from DVD with a sata optical drive. Linux does have sata drivers, they just don't agree with the install DVD when it comes to the optical drive, after install however it is fine. If you get the liveCD you should be able to install from that because the liveCD loads the propper sata drivers as it boots up and shouldn't give you any problems. Here is a link to the torrent for the liveCD you need to try.
http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
Fedora-7-i386.torrent is the one you want unless you need 64-bit ( i don't recommend 64-bit unless you really need it )

EDIT: HEY!!! You two are really cramping my style!!!

Life's the pits sometimes, ain't it! <....>
You've got him covered. I'm out. (Dan)

Code:

Last edited by TangledWeb; 17th October 2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 17th October 2007, 06:32 PM
craquedndn Offline

ok...explain like I am never dealt with this problem before.
Old 17th October 2007, 06:38 PM
FriedChips Offline

Just download the ISO file with the torrent I gave you a link to. You will need bittorrent or similar to download from it. If you don't have it either download it or search "get fedora" on google and the first link will have mirrors you can download it from. Do you have a CD burner? That's all you will need, when the file is done burn the image to a disk and use that to install from.. Not the DVD, that make sense? The DVD has issues with SATA Optical drives, the liveCD does not. The liveCD will boot fedora ( from the CD ) into a usable state. You will have an icon on the Desktop that says install to hard drive, double-click and follow the on-screen directions

Code:

Tags
acer, fedora, install