Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 28th September 2007, 03:13 AM
s0ulburn26 Offline

rkhunter messages

I scanned my system several times and turned on scan and selected the options '--check-listen' and '--createlogfile' there was one thing that caught my eye. below I have pasted the /var/log/rkhunter.log output maybe someone can scan through this and enlighten me as to what some of the messages are. Sorry for the length.

The one that really worried me was this

Quote:

[20:36:57] ------------------------------- Backdoors -----------------------------
[20:36:58] Checking network interfaces (promiscuous mode)... [ OK ]
[20:36:58] Performed successful test with `ip`
[20:36:58] Checking for packet capturing applications... Warning
[20:36:58] Warning! Process /sbin/dhclient (3973) listening

Here was another entry in the log file that caught my attention.

Quote:
Hidden file/dir /etc/.pwd.lock [empty] seems to be OK

After scanning this I did a check of all process id's on my machine and this one wasn't attached to a user it just had a ?' so I did a search on google and didnt find anything to elaborate on what process id 3973 is or what program or application is associated with it. Any help would be appriciated.
Old 28th September 2007, 10:56 AM
markkuk Offline

dhclient is the DHCP client program, it's needed if your network information gets defined automatically.
Process IDs are assigned in the order processes are started, they arent associated with specific applications (except id 1 for the init process).
Old 28th September 2007, 05:27 PM
s0ulburn26 Offline

I did some more digging and found out what you had just stated. I am just curious as to why RKHUNTER thinks that this is a bad thing? it threw warnings when I did the scan.

Tags
messages, rkhunter