Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th September 2007, 02:42 AM
Bad2theBone Offline

Fedora 7 post install problems

Installed Fedora 7 several weeks ago on my 2nd IDE drive (250GB) using LVM. I had FC 6 on the 1st IDE drive (80GB) also with lvm configured. I also have a SATA I 160GB and a SATA II 500GB (on the same SATA I host adapter). I have encountered the following problems since the install:

1. Yesterday I was unable to boot, a message flashed by indicating an incompatible file system was encountered, and it rebooted. It then didn't make it past GRUB. I booted using my FC 6 install and manually did a fsck on the root volume (fsck -fv /dev/Fedora7/root). I was then able to reboot into F 7. Today it gave a message of drive was unreadable. I repeated what I did yesterday and was able to boot without any problems. I have found the following message in the system log:

"restore cond: Will not restore a file with more than one hard link (/etc/resolv.conf) Invalid argument"

2. Since installing F 7 the first job that I send to the printer after booting does not print. I'll cancel the job and resubmit the job which will then print. I originally had a HP Photosmart PSC 2610v and have since replaced it with a HP Officejet Pro L7780 and both gave the same results. I am using the default hplip software with F 7 hplip 1.7.4a, Device Manger Software 10.0

3. I have also noticed that fdisk -l reports "Disk /dev/dm-?? doesn't contain a valid partition table" starting with dm-7 through to dm-15. I am not sure what physical drive these relate to. Under FC6 and F7 the 2 SATA drives are used as repositories for documents, software downloads, videos, pictures, with the 500GB used for my music library, although only about half the drive is filled.

TIA
Scott
Old 15th October 2007, 07:10 PM
Bad2theBone Offline

Since posting the 3 problems the first problem just stopped on it's own after a few days. The third problem, I found that wasn't an issue as it was referring to my lvm drive and was actually normal. I do still have the printer issue. The first job after a boot, will not print. I'll cancel the job and resubmit and all is fine. No errors in any logs that I can find. It will print if the first request originates from my email client. I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.5, if that makes a difference. Also it does not make a difference if the printer is on or off. Cancel first job send a second job and turn on printer, job will print. Printer is a HP Officejet Pro L7780 using the wired network interface.

TIA
Scott

Tags
fedora, install, post, problems