FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

screensavers/powermanagement in Gnome not working

Hi there guys,

In my attempt to get remote desktop, I tried Gnome. I can get RD working while using Gnome, but I can't seem to get my monitors to power down. i can't even get a screensaver to work.

I am willing to change DE's to get remote desktop, but I have to be able to use those two features.

I've searched, but my searches seem to be geared towards older installs, and don't seem applicable to F7. Could someone give me some pointers? All I've done thus far is install everything via yumex that looked like it pertained to gnome display and screensaver. I then tried to activate via the preferences in Gnome.

thanks,
    json
    I read the f'ing manual, and it told me to ask you guys...
    performing amazing acts of mediocrity since 1974.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    FC -4(33 bit)/Unity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, maybe working screensavers and power management in Gnome is asking for too much. Let's start off with pretty pictures:

Anyone know how to allow separate backgrounds in Gnome on a dual head application?

thanks,
    json
    FC -4(33 bit)/Unity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just install xscreensaver with all it's extras, and uninstall gnome screensaver and any extras related to it, unless it tries to take half your system with it , in which case you can just add a 'killall gnome-screensaver' to your startup programs under Preferences>Sessions>Startup.

That's what I used to do, but gss seems to be working fine for me lately.

As far as the separate backgrounds, not sure you can do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KDE allowed separate bg's by default. Thinking of it, Windows did as well. I wouldn't have guessed that a DE would force you to use the same personalization settings between the two.

Thanks very much for the suggestion concerning xscreensaver.

thanks,
    json
    FC -4(33 bit)/Unity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sweet lord in heaven... I'm coming the the realization that Gnome is developed by that sweet kid I knew in middle school... you know... the one that had to have corks on the end of his eating utensils? Yeah, that one.

Well, playing with the settings, I managed to get it to use the screensaver. "Yay!" I thought. I set it to 20 minutes and went about my business.

Problem is that for the last three days, the screensaver has loaded on me while I'm working. I'll be using the mouse to scroll a page and it will start getting dark, which in turn causes me to think I'm having a stroke. Then my screensaver will start up. Usually hitting the escape key will get me back to my desktop.

Today, I ended up at some netherworld when I hit the escape key. I got my mouse cursor back, but no desktop. Nothing I did worked for me.

I've noticed that I have gnome-screensaver and xscreensaver installed. Which one might I be using, and should I be using the other one? For the life of me, I can't imagine why I might need choices in screensaver engines, but hey, whatever makes the world go round.

thanks,
    json
    FC -4(33 bit)/Unity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having the same exact problem as schwim on a dual-headed machine. I'll be typing away and both screens begin to black out. I can stop the fade by moving the mouse or hitting escape. It's very disconcerting. It also steals focus while this is happening which is very annoying. I too was unable to get my screen back once when this happened.

I am using the binary Nvidia drivers.

I though maybe in my case the screensaver isn't picking up activity in display 0:1 which is where I usually am typing/mousing. But this never happened to me with this configuration with early versions of Fedora.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schwim
    My sweet lord in heaven... I'm coming the the realization that Gnome is developed by that sweet kid I knew in middle school... you know... the one that had to have corks on the end of his eating utensils? Yeah, that one.

thanks,
    json
    Hey why don't you just go back to Windows !

Oh, I'm sorry, I mean why don't you just uninstall one of them.

Like I said if gnome-screensaver has too many deps then just go to System>Preferences>Sessions>Startup and add two entries

killall gnome-screensaver <-- to make sure it doesn't run

xscreensaver <-- to make sure it does

To configure xscreensaver just type

xscreensaver-demo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or the really complicated way will work too. From Gnome:

Applications>Add/Remove software>Gnome Desktop Environment, Click Optional packages>Scroll to - Gnome Screensaver>uncheck.

While you're there -- scroll further down, and make sure xscreensaver extras gss and xscreensaver GL extras gss are unchecked.

Click Close, click apply.

Gnome screensaver should be uninstalled for you.

Dan
    Last edited by TangledWeb; 19th September 2007 at 12:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dies
    Hey why don't you just go back to Windows !
    Go back to it? I don't even have to turn around!

Sir your initial suggestion seems to have worked splendidly. I will have to wait and see if it recognizes movement on the second desktop and resumes a-ok, but it is working, albeit with some of the most horrendous screensavers I've ever witnessed

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Or the really complicated way will work too. From Gnome:
    Mock me if you will, but I am considered a linex power user in these parts. Of course, in these parts, the requirement for the title is simply being able to spell linex.

The reason it took me so long to reply was because I was hoping Orp would try it and let me know if it screwed up his system. No such luck though....

Thanks for all your help guys, seriously. It's greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    json
    FC -4(33 bit)/Unity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey... I poked around and realized that I have gnome-screensaver on the problem machine, while at home I have xscreensaver-base installed (both are running fc7). Next I will try xscreensaver on the problem machine. I will report my results later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, during testing last night, the monitors went into shutdown(like they should), but when I woke up this morning, they were still powered, so first I'm taking back all my thanks until I'm sure you guys really helped. Then I'm testing some more.

thanks,
    json
    FC -4(33 bit)/Unity

PabloTwo is offline "Fedora User" T-Shirt Winner
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    json-

I'm wondering if you've given consideration to just not using any screensaver at all and going into your computers bios and and telling it to blank the monitor(s) after x amount of time of no keyboard or mouse input? Though I don't use a dual-head setup, the bios solution sure works great for me. And who needs pretty pictures when you're not even looking at the computer monitor?

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there Paul,

Thanks very much for that. The next time I restart, I'll see if I can find it in the bios somewhere. I wasn't aware that the option was available to me

thanks,
    json
    FC -4(33 bit)/Unity

PabloTwo is offline "Fedora User" T-Shirt Winner
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    json-

oops! Once again I spoke (wrote) before positively checking my facts. I rebooted to get into my computers bios just to check where those settings were in order to help direct you to them on your system. Well, that function isn't in my bios. I think I was confusing that with the "ACPI Suspend" functions, which will do monitor blanking, but will also "suspend" your computer. That is a function in the bios.

But, for just plain old monitor screen blanking, in FC6 (probably F7 also), go to System>Preferences>More Preferences>Power_Management

The box there, with the "Running on AC" tab selected, lets you put the display to sleep, with a slider to set the amount of time with no activity for it to kick in. A slider below that, lets you put the computer to sleep in the same fashion. Sorry for the mis-guided info. Dole out whatever punishment you feel is reasonable.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this time, punishment will involve two golf balls, a pair of vice-grips and 220 grit sandpaper. We'll figure out what to do with them.

I've got my settings to where it shuts down the monitor after 30 minutes(screenies at 20), and last night it worked as intended, but when I woke up this monring, the screens were blank, but powered. I unchecked "lock the screen" just in case it couldn't go back into shutdown from the password box, and I'll see how that works.

Thanks a lot for checking. I would have ended up changing Munich's time zone, had I been allowed to root around in my bios unattended

thanks,
    json
    FC -4(33 bit)/Unity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast