Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th May 2004, 02:55 AM
Bana Offline
Retired Community Manager

Why Blender as an extra?

Why isn't blender included in fedora? It is ~ 3 megs and singlehandedly covers the entire 3D modeling niche in linux (opensource). Is this some kinda oversight?
Old 4th May 2004, 03:07 AM
Picomp314 Offline

hmmm... perhaps it has issues with some other more important (deemed) software... or the 2.6 kernel
Old 4th May 2004, 03:35 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

I think it is more about users' request to include this package as Blender 3D source can be freely distributed by commercial company. I am waitting for rpm Blender 2.33 as it includes the game engine(finally). Meanwhile, Blender 2.32 truly rocks for a 3D modeling though it is a bit steep for a learning curve.
Old 4th May 2004, 05:02 AM
Bana Offline

I am trying to get into blender, have to get my ATI opengl working though, kinda slow in the 3dview. I have always wanted to do 3d modeling and blender is the absolute best way to do it.
Old 4th May 2004, 05:43 AM
crackers Offline

Perhaps it's not included because not everyone wants/needs 3D modelling capabilities? Heck, for that matter, why do distros still include "bc" by default? I think I've used it once and that was only to see how/what it did...
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:
Old 25th November 2004, 03:05 PM
clearer Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackers
Perhaps it's not included because not everyone wants/needs 3D modelling capabilities? Heck, for that matter, why do distros still include "bc" by default? I think I've used it once and that was only to see how/what it did...
Perhaps I don't need KDE, GIMP, all the server software or most of what else is in Fedora Core 1/2/3 - still, it's included. Not everyone needs every piece of software, but if enough do, it will be included. More interessting is, why no proper media players are included - I think we got past the point where people are scared of patent issues. Or what?
Old 25th November 2004, 03:56 PM
crackers Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearer
More interessting is, why no proper media players are included - I think we got past the point where people are scared of patent issues. Or what?
No, it's not that they're "scared" of patent issues - the problem is the patent issues are quite real for a public company. They're a sitting duck for a lawsuit if they just ignore the patents. On the other hand, it's not worth it to the patent holders to go after an individual that has no real money (less than $10 million, say), so that's why we can still get the codecs via non-official respositories.
Old 25th November 2004, 04:49 PM
foolish Offline

You won't see new packages added to the Core unless they're requested by a huge amount of users. It's much more likely that when Extras is in place, more packages will be removed from Core and moved to Extras.

However, I imagine some smart people will add the "extras cd" functionality to anaconda which will allow you to download cds containg some extra software you'd like and use them in the installer. If this does not happen, you can always just yum install blender after install.

What I'm trying to say is that blender won't make it into Core, it's just not vital enough. It will be in Extras, and there might be some way to make Extras much better integrated into the Core. We'll see when Extras is ready.
Old 26th November 2004, 06:03 AM
Jman Offline

I seem to remember the first boot config asking me for another CD. That's a good place for extras CDs.

Blender does look nice. For sure it needs to be packaged for Fedora. Whether it gets in Core depends on if Core needs a 3D modeler and if Blender is the best one for the job.
Old 27th November 2004, 09:04 PM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
Blender is a cool app...but it certainly is kinda confusing. I probably need to find some documentation and figure it all out.

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570
Old 27th November 2004, 10:13 PM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

Latest version of Blender 2.35 is impressive, customizable. The team finally include the global undo (ctrl+z). The good thing is Blender can run on any non-accelerate hardware.
For the documentation, I suggest to get a book or visit www.blender3d.com. Once you will get used to the command, Blender is fun to use.
Old 28th November 2004, 04:43 AM
crackers Offline

I just found something that's really puzzling. In KDE 3.1, the program kpovmodeler was a part of the kdegraphics package. Now, in FC's version of 3.3.1, it's not there - but the user documentation is! Go figure...
Old 28th November 2004, 05:16 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

I think kpovmodeler is included in another package. That was the same thing with Quanta which is now a part of kdewebdev package.
Old 28th November 2004, 06:16 AM
crackers Offline

Then why would the docs be installed without the application? I can't seem to find it any FC kde-related package - would you happen to hazard a guess where it is? I don't mind compiling stuff myself, but I really prefer managing through RPMs - mostly because I'm lazy and hate having to keep track of stray tarballs in case I need to uninstall...

As for quanta, it used to be a separate package, which actually makes it moving to the webdev package pretty sensible.