Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th September 2007, 05:29 PM
Amrapali Offline

Need Help to install WindowsXP without removing Fedora

Hi All,

Here is my problem.
I have Windows XP and Fedora Core6 on my desktop.

Windows has got some virus, bcoz of which it keeps on restarting infinitely.
So want to format Windows and install it again.
When I try to boot WindowsXP bootable cd. It goes to the screen "Setup checking Hardware config"...and thats it...a black screen...it doesn't move forward.

From the other threads, I got to know abt formatting the complte harddisk with

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=16

And then installing Windows followed by FC6

However, I dont wish to lose data on other Windows prtitions ( D & E) also dont wish to remove FC6 for the same.

Can someone please help, How I can format C drive and reinstall Windows.

edited by Mat: while colors are pretty, they should be used for highlighting only

Last edited by Mat; 13th September 2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 13th September 2007, 06:41 PM
stevea Offline

Here s something to try.

Boot the Windoze CD and run it through the disk rescue. This will wipe the boot record in MBR but not the partition.

Then I think you should be able to re-boot the CD and install windoze.

Then boot the Fedorda DVD with "linux rescue" and reinstall the Grub MBR with the correct "grub-install" incantation.
Old 13th September 2007, 11:52 PM
stoat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea

Boot the Windoze CD and run it through the disk rescue. This will wipe the boot record in MBR but not the partition.

Then I think you should be able to re-boot the CD and install windoze.
Hello stevea & Amrapali,

But the XP CD won't boot to do that. When this well-known problem happens, Windows Setup never gets started. That means no installation, no Recovery Console, no anything from the XP installation CD. And restoring the XP boot code in the master boot record by any other means (e.g., pre-XP MS boot disks (fdisk /mbr), the Super GRUB Disk, TestDisk) has not been reported to solve this problem. In other words, it's not the stage1 boot code in the MBR doing this.

What I Have Discovered About This So Far
  1. When the XP and Fedora systems are on the separate hard drives, e.g., the Jim Lawrence dual boot method, simply making the XP drive first in the BIOS boot order again will allow the XP CD to boot normally. After XP is reinstalled, the Fedora drive can be returned to first.

2. When the two systems are on the same drive, I learned from my own experiments that if a second drive without Linux partitions can be made first in the the BIOS boot order, the XP CD will boot and XP can be installed.

3. Removing the Linux partitions by any method also solves this problem but isn't applicable to this person's situation because the Linux system is to be preserved.

Something to Try

So, if Amrapali has a second hard drive without Linux partitions in this computer (or has a spare hard drive that can be installed for this), maybe he/she can make such a drive first in the BIOS boot order, boot the XP CD and reinstall XP. Then Amrapali could return and tell us if XP was able to be reinstalled in its original location or had to be installed on the second drive or if this worked at all.

Anyway, good luck.

Last edited by stoat; 5th March 2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 14th September 2007, 12:54 AM
asasega Offline

i've had the same problem in FC6(F7 doesn't has this anymore)
you must modify the disklabel of the hdd to msdos, you have this option in gparted, but this requires to lose the data on the drive, sadly i don't know if it's possible to do it without
you can try the 2 disc method posted by stoat, but don't install xp just choose the recovery console and try doing a fixmbr on the hdd
Old 14th September 2007, 01:15 AM
stoat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by asasega

you must modify the disklabel of the hdd to msdos, you have this option in gparted, but this requires to lose the data on the drive, sadly i don't know if it's possible to do it without
Hi asasega,

I once had an idea to disguise the Linux partitions using fdisk and changing their system id to something other than ext3. You can do that without harming the data in those partitions. They can be changed back to their original system id and still boot normally as though nothing had happened. I did it.

So, I changed them to PartitionMagic recovery partition (3c). I booted with the XP CD on a computer not having the "Balking XP CD" problem. It fooled the XP CD which saw them as "PowerQuest" instead of the usual "Unknown". It also assigned them drive letters. I was excited. Had I found the Holy Grail solution of the "Balking XP CD"? I would be famous! A statue of me would be built somewhere. But when I tried it in a drive scenario causing the XP CD to halt, it didn't work. It still halted. As usual, I had to remove the Linux partitions with GParted to get the XP CD to boot. I also noticed that GParted was not fooled and still saw them as ext3.

But what a great-sounding idea. Eh?
Old 14th September 2007, 01:38 AM
asasega Offline

hmm, it's weird,i'm not a poweruser i don't unsersatnd why this is happening
maybe it's still present in f7, i can't confirm because when i installed f7 i just created a partiton for it i didn;t use the auto partitioning option as i did in fc6
Old 14th September 2007, 06:48 AM
Amrapali Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat
[*]When the two systems are on the same drive, I learned from my own experiments that if a second drive without Linux partitions can be made first in the the BIOS boot order, the XP CD will boot and XP can be installed. Now whether XP can be reinstalled where it was originally (on the other drive), I don't know (too lazy to try it, sorry). But this does allow the XP CD to boot.
Hi Stoat,

Thank you very much for the suggestions...
In my case, both Linux and WindowsXP are on the same drive..
and I dont have another harddrive...so first option not possible....
But I would love to try the second option..

Could you please elaborate it more, as in what are the exact steps to do that?

Also,

If this doesn't work...I can remove linux, I have more important data on Windows partitions....So would like to know a way of removing linux also...

Thanks a lot,
Amrapali
Old 14th September 2007, 03:19 PM
stoat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrapali

In my case, both Linux and WindowsXP are on the same drive..
and I dont have another harddrive...so first option not possible....
But I would love to try the second option..
Hello again Amrapali,

That second thing that I mentioned and that you quoted involves a second hard drive, so you can't do that either.

If you decide to remove the Linux partitions, then download and create a GParted LiveCD. To remove the Linux partitions, boot with the GParted LiveCD, select a Linux partition and click Delete. When all the Linux partitions have been selected for deletion, click Apply. Reboot and the XP CD will work again. Reinstall XP. Reinstall Fedora.

P.S.: I just remembered something else. If you used LVM with Fedora, GParted will not remove LVM physical volumes. But fdisk does. In that case, you can use linux rescue and fdisk to remove the Linux partitions.

Last edited by stoat; 14th September 2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 15th September 2007, 02:35 PM
Amrapali Offline

Once Thank you Stoat.

I shall try the Gparted LiveCD option soon.

But would like to know about the other option too, i.e. How to remove linux using Linux Rescue and fdisk.

Thanks,
Amrapali
Old 15th September 2007, 04:53 PM
stoat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrapali

I shall try the Gparted LiveCD option soon.

But would like to know about the other option too, i.e. How to remove linux using Linux Rescue and fdisk.
Okay. Try the GParted LiveCD first. Besides, I think everyone who uses Linux should possess a copy of it.

But before you do anything, you should read and follow another active thread about this subject. cottsay, the original poster there, may be about to discover and publish a way to stop the "Balking XP CD" and at the same time preserve the Fedora system. That is something you might be interested in.

UPDATE: Some progress finally has been made with this problem. Go to the HOWTO on this subject for some ideas that work.

Last edited by stoat; 26th September 2007 at 01:29 AM.
Old 15th September 2007, 08:42 PM
Amrapali Offline

As it was urgent, I found out, how to remove linux using linux rescue and fdisk...
and have installed Windows...so in a way my problem is solved now

Though, i am keen on knowing the solution for the "balking XP cd", will be visiting the the "Installing Windows XP After Fedora 7" topic regularly.

Thanks for everything.
Amrapali

Tags
fedora, install, removing, windowsxp