Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th September 2007, 10:17 PM
fox29 Offline

Help! Compiz/Beryl for FC6 on a Compaq Evo n610c

Hi guys

I am trying to get either Beryl or Compiz to run on my Compaq laptop. Here are my specs:

CPU: Pentium 4m 2.0 GHz
RAM: 512 MB
Graphics adapter: ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 (96 MB)
Kernel version: 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6
Current Compiz Version: 0.3.6-2.fc6
Current Beryl version: 0.2.0-1.fc6

First, I tried running Compiz (I think the version is 0.0.3, the one that came with FC6), and it partially worked; the effects all worked (Desktops on the cube, the cube spun, the windows stretched when you dragged them, etc.), but on the right side of the screen, there was a black area. When a window was dragged over it, it left a trail in that area. After disabling the area, the area returned to normal with the exception of the Panel cutting off at the edge of the former blank area. Strike one.

Seeing that that was happening, I tried installing Beryl. The install went fine, but when I select the Beryl window manager, it kept popping back to Metacity. Strike two.

After a while, I thought to check and see if there was an updated version of Compiz, and there was. I tried downloading and installing Compiz 0.4, but there were errors in the compile, and I can't find the RPM for it. So I used Package Manager to update Compiz to my current version 0.3.6-2.fc6. Now whenever I try to activate it, it puts a message on my screen saying that "Desktop Effects cannot be enabled." Strike Three.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
fox29

-------------------------------
"To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer." -Farmers' Almanac
Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.

Tags
compaq, compiz or beryl, evo, fc6, n610c