Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th August 2007, 06:58 PM
phree Offline

Beryl - 28 Desktops, how do you reduce???

Hi,

As part of my Linux adventure I have been playing with Beryl today, running it with KDE.

I clicked on the setting 'desktop manager supports viewports' and i have ended up with 28 little boxes in the applet bar, all representing desktop 1. I have tried everything down to powering of the machine and I can't reset if back to the default 4.

Anyone give me a guide as to which switches to throw to get it back?

cheers Phree.
Start Date June 27th 2007

(\_/)
(='.'=)
("")_("")
Old 27th August 2007, 07:32 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Hi-

How about unchecking the box you checked?

Paul
Old 27th August 2007, 07:56 PM
phree Offline

Pablo,

That was the first thing I tried :-)

Did'nt make any difference.

rgds Phree

(\_/)
(='.'=)
("")_("")
Old 27th August 2007, 08:31 PM
PabloTwo Online

Phree,

Maybe you've found a bug in Beryl. I've been playing around with Beyl under Gnome for awhile and have only found some minor, occassional glitches, nothing that I can't smooth out or, more commonly, fix by just logging out and logging back in to resstart the X-session with Beryl loading.

I stayed up late last night downloading 'enlightenment', another desktop manager (replaces Gnome, KDE, not run on top of ithem like Beryl) and began playing with that today. Worked swell for awhile until I clicked on one "load module" thingy and when it came up, it stuck there with a mostly empty screen. Only way out was with CTRL-ALT-F2 to a term where I could then kill the app off. Like your Beryl glitch, logging out and back in to restart the enlightenment session or rebooting only brought me right back to the same "stuck" place. I had to guess as to which config file contained the current desktop configuration status, rename it to take it out of play, then start a session over. I guessed right and was back to square one.

You might have to do the same with Beryl to get rid of the excess desktops. Have you tried just turning Beryl off and seeing how many 'desktops' are configured under KDE?

Paul

Last edited by PabloTwo; 27th August 2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 27th August 2007, 09:12 PM
PabloTwo Online

Phree,

Better yet, if you're still stuck with all 28 desktops, just edit the file: ~/.beryl/settings

Right near the top, find line:

s_number_of_desktops=1

Lower down, find the line:

a_big_view_manager=false

If either or both don't have those values, edit the file so they do.
In Beryl, number_of_desktops=1 means one cube, not just a single desktop as in Gnome/KDE.
I think that should fix your problem.

Paul
Old 28th August 2007, 04:58 PM
phree Offline

Yo Paul, thanks for the replies.

Sorry to hear about your problems with enlightenment, I read some good things about that on http://optics.csufresno.edu/~kriehn/...ghtenment.html which I found when i was first looking at Linux about a month back.

I tried your suggestions and havent been able to find any configuration settings that look out of place. The 2 you mentioned are identical to your setting and i checked out a number of other configuration files for Beryl and can find nothing.

Running KDE with out Beryl runns with the default 4 desktops in the panel; also running Gnome with Beryl runs fine.

Strangely, i did yum remove Beryl and then restarted the machine, Beryl remained, sitting there and running when called. I thought Yum Remove was supposed to remove the package, but on every occassion that i have so far had to remove a package on, Yum has failed to do it.

I used the application installer to remove KDE and that worked, I reinstalled it but that made no difference either. I dont think the application installer removes it completely either as the re-install retained some of the settings from the previous installation.

I think there should be a way of completely removing an application with yum but it seems not yet.

Well I'll keep poking and prodding at it till it gives up its secrets, for now i will use Gnome as i cannt stand the cluttered panel bar.

Rgds Phree

(\_/)
(='.'=)
("")_("")
Old 28th August 2007, 08:46 PM
PabloTwo Online

Hey Phree,

Looks like I didn't guess the settings thing right. The reason it didn't change anything after you uninstalled then reinstalled Beryl is because the uninstall did not remove the configuration files that created after the original install. The uninstall only removes the files that it put in place during the installation, so when you reinstalled, you were right back where you left off.

Try just removing the ~/.beryl directory, the one in your home directory. That should wipe things clean and put you back to a 'clean' install again. Of course, you'll have to reconfigure all your settings again, but by uninstalling Beryl, you showed you were already willing to do that.

And as an aside: enlightenment (the E17 package) is fairly cool. Shows great potential, but it is a work in progress, replete with bugs and whole sections that the code is not even completed. I just happened to wander into one of those 'uncompleted' areas, with no way back, no way forward... kind of like when in those sci-fi scenerios, where the person ends up in a completely white enviroment. Nothing but a logo, a Welcome banner, a working mouse (with nothing to click on) and lots of white.. hello?

Paul

Tags
beryl, desktops, reduce