Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 23rd August 2007, 06:22 PM
Sting14 Offline

Windows Controls are Gone (the bar with window's title and minimize, maximize, close)

So I just did a fresh install of F7. After some display issues, I was able to get everything working fine. After a random reboot, when my machine came back u p, none of the windows have the controls on them anymore. See imagine below:

Picture of Desktop for windows without controls

If you notice, I have a firefox window and a gnome-terminal window open. Neither of them have the controls which have the Title, and also the minimize, maximize, and close buttons.

Anyone have any idea how I managed to do this, and (even better) any thoughts on how to fix it?
Old 23rd August 2007, 06:29 PM
keatonvictor

Hi sting

I had this problem after I installed beryl, the problem was that the appropriate window manager was not being loaded. I dont know directly how to fix this but try searching for "window manager" issues
Old 23rd August 2007, 07:09 PM
Sting14 Offline

Ok, I figured it out. If this happens to anyone else, here's what I did:

I didn't know that enabling Compiz switches my windows manager. So what I did was disable the desktop effects, reboot X, then re-enable desktop effects. Make sure you don't try to edit your theme, or you will lose your controls again.
Old 23rd August 2007, 07:21 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Sting, you may want to install Beryl or Compiz-Fusion. I actually played with Compiz Fusion for the first time today and it installed and ran even in XFCE just fine. I am sticking with Beryl for now though, but the Compiz-fusion is a valid option. Either way, you will want to move past the default compiz setup. It sucks. To get past the problem keatonvictor mentions just right click the beryl icon (or compiz-fusion icon) in the tool try and choose "select window manager." Fedora will now default to whatever you choose, even on reboot, till you choose another one. Sting, you hit your problem square on the head, using beryl will make this easy to fix in the future. Good luck.

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 23rd August 2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 23rd August 2007, 07:29 PM
leigh123linux

Compiz-fusion rocks

Old 23rd August 2007, 07:31 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

DUDE!!! That is TOO cool!!! How did you set that up?

edit: And is it just me or does Emerald not work on Compiz-fusion? Remember, I am using XFCE and not Gnome, but if I set the Window Decorator to GTK everything is cool, if I use Emerald I lose my bars like Sting is saying. I want to use Emerald...

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 23rd August 2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 23rd August 2007, 07:54 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
DUDE!!! That is TOO cool!!! How did you set that up?

edit: And is it just me or does Emerald not work on Compiz-fusion? Remember, I am using XFCE and not Gnome, but if I set the Window Decorator to GTK everything is cool, if I use Emerald I lose my bars like Sting is saying. I want to use Emerald...
No it works great with XFCE as well

compiz-fusion is incompatible with the obsolete beryl version of emerald and visa versa

Make sure you have the kagesenshi.repo active

Code:
su -
yum erase beryl* emerald* compiz*
yum install compiz-gnome compiz-kde fusion-icon-gtk fusion-icon-qt compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported compizconfig-backend-gconf compizconfig-backend-kconfig emerald-themes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-08-23-184538_1280x1024_scrot.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	13183  

Last edited by leigh123linux; 23rd August 2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 23rd August 2007, 08:05 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

wow, uninstall Beryl? That is a BIG step! But ok, I'm doing it...I get the shift...whatever settings for the windows on the angle, but what key bindings do you use? I try shift+super+s and nothing happens?

edit: Hot damn! One of my reasons for not wanting to ditch beryl was my custom theme. I GOT IT BACK!!! Emerald now works and I have retained my theme! Ya! It must be saved in ~ somewhere.

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 23rd August 2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 23rd August 2007, 08:24 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
wow, uninstall Beryl? That is a BIG step! But ok, I'm doing it...I get the shift...whatever settings for the windows on the angle, but what key bindings do you use? I try shift+super+s and nothing happens?

edit: Hot damn! One of my reasons for not wanting to ditch beryl was my custom theme. I GOT IT BACK!!! Emerald now works and I have retained my theme! Ya! It must be saved in ~ somewhere.
you need to have some windows open for the shift switcher to work.

The emerald settings are stored in /home/*/.emerald
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:55 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Oh man, I must say I am glad I dumped Beryl and went all the way here. Compiz-fusion does rock. I have mostly got things figured out, just one thing left, where do I set the unfold cube stuff? Like, I see pictures with the desktops pushed further back and also with all 4 desktops. Where are these settings? They are not in cube.

BTW, As far as my recommendations to anyone, Beryl is out, Compiz-Fusion is in.
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:06 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Oh, almost forgot my favorite part....I mean for real, who doesnt get off writing with fire?
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:17 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Oh man, I must say I am glad I dumped Beryl and went all the way here. Compiz-fusion does rock. I have mostly got things figured out, just one thing left, where do I set the unfold cube stuff? Like, I see pictures with the desktops pushed further back and also with all 4 desktops. Where are these settings? They are not in cube.

BTW, As far as my recommendations to anyone, Beryl is out, Compiz-Fusion is in.

Do you mean the expo plugin ? ( screenshot )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	13189  
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:28 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

muchas grassyass I am liking this!
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:33 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
muchas grassyass I am liking this!
Have you seen my fish tank ? ( Atlantis plugin )

(you will need git installed )

yum install git*

su
git clone git://anongit.opencompositing.org/fusion/plugins/atlantis
cd /atlantis
make install

then run the make install command again as standard user ( this installs the plugin to /home/*/.compiz ) the first make install as root installs to /root/.compiz
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2007-08-23-223110_1280x1024_scrot.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	13192  

Last edited by leigh123linux; 23rd August 2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:36 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

lol, and all I have are gears But I guess I can look forward to this hitting the repo soon? Hey, why is the snowflake png so ugly? I need to try to rip the beryl flake off.

edit: Yeah, I tried to compile Atlantis and the screensaver but kept getting errors...oh well, no biggie, I have plenty here to play with for now.

Tags
bar, close, controls, maximize, minimize, title, window, windows