Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th August 2007, 10:34 PM
50MissionCrush Offline

Terminal (Shell) problems, Root vs regular user

I'm using Fedora 7 running KDE and my normal user shell opens as a root shell.

Can anyone tell me how I can set this regular user Terminal program to open as a regular user shell ?

From the panel menu I click on System. In the System menu there are 2 Terminal programs, one is simply "Terminal" and is for a regular user (this is the problem one). The other is "Terminal Program - Super User Mode".

If I create a new user the "Terminal" opens as a Shell and the new user is the operator on the command line, the "Terminal Program - Super User Mode" opens as a Root Shell and root is the operator on the command line.

In my account both these shell programs open in root user mode.

I understand that I can simply click on the "sessions" tab in the konsole menu and open a regular shell for the normal user (not root). This works of course and I can simply close the root shell session. I'd just like to get it to work as it should and open in normal user shell mode.

This problem is contagious.

When I did the install I set up the following users in addition to root:

myself
tutor

The first thing I wanted to do was to find the "normal user terminal", and set the background to black and the text to white.
Then I wanted to find the "super user terminal" and set the background to black and the text to green. This way if I were to chose the wrong terminal I would have some coloring indication.

Up until yesterday the problem seemed to be isolated to the "myself" user, where both of my terminal programs opened in Root Shell mode(asking for password). "tutor" and "guest" were still running correctly with the "terminal" opening in normal user Shell and the "super user terminal" opening in Root Shell mode(asking for password).

In an effort to find the problem I logged in as "tutor" today, opened the "terminal" program, went to settings, schema, and changed the color scheme to black background with white text. Then, still under settings I clicked on "save as default", and closed the "terminal" window. Then I opened the "super user terminal" and following the same procedure changed the color scheme to green text on black background. Saved as default, exited.

Now both terminals for user "tutor" are Root Shells(asking for password). What's going on ?!

From some reading on the KDE site concerning the Konsole, it appears the Konsole code is being re-written for KDE 4. And these readings also lead me to believe the configuration setting of KDE 3.* are pretty wacky. Should I just wait for KDE 4 ?

Thanks,

Chip
Old 16th August 2007, 07:48 PM
PatMcLJr Offline

I think you know more then me about this. Maybe it's a menu problem?

Pat Jr.
Pat Jr.
Old 18th August 2007, 09:03 PM
shrubs2000 Offline

If you find and answer, I'd like to know too. No matter what/how I open a terminal, it's always a root terminal. Also, I can customize the terminal but it defaults back If I log out and open it again.

Thanx
Old 19th August 2007, 01:13 PM
50MissionCrush Offline

Try right clicking on the panel and adding "Terminal Sessions" from the Add Applet menu. This allows you to choose a normal user Shell or a Root Shell "before" the window opens.

I can live with this, as long as it keeps working. Actually this is excellent.

Chip
Old 19th August 2007, 03:09 PM
shrubs2000 Offline

It's a work around but still doesn't correct the problem.
Old 9th January 2008, 12:27 PM
shkigor Offline

see file in home directory
/home/USER/.kde/share/config/konsolerc

#########
two lines:
DefaultSession=shell.desktop
schema=
#########

DefaultSession may be shell.desktop or su.desktop
schema= may be null or
schema=BlackOnLightYellow.schema