Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th August 2007, 06:26 AM
Cpl_RaefSellous Offline

Exclamation (Lenovo N100 0768-GXM) Problem installing wireless in Fedora 7

G'day! I've recently installed Fed 7 on my laptop to try it out. I am not an IT/program expert, but I wanted to see if a common “end user” could try out Linux.

Installation went fine. No big dramas. But I can't get a few things to work, so I thought I'd post here.

The problem in this topic is my wireless. I have a Intel PRO/Wireless card in my computer – 3945 to be exact. I followed all the advice in the forums that deal with such a card but still no luck.

For the record, I have tried the following:

--D/L the drivers off the intel site, followed the instructions on mounting the ucode file, then the device driver into memory via the console. I added the loadup options in my modprobe.conf too.

--Unplugged my ethernet cable while browsing the web, and tried to see if that tricked the wireless. No it didn't.

--Updated all the latest builds/patches, etc., and tried running the wireless.

Anyhow, I can follow pretty simple instructions in the console, but at this point am a bit lost. I'm trying to prove that linux is for ordinary people, but so far don't have much of a case :-)

My system specs:

Lenovo N100 C3000 series notebook (0768-GXM)
Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 Proc 1.83 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB
2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM
120 GB 5400 rpm SATA HD
56K V.92 designed modem - Ethernet-Integrated
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, Bluetooth Version 2.0 + EDR
GRAPHICS : NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 with Turbo Cache, 128 MB DDR2 VRAM
Realtek High Definition Audio chipse.

Linux specs:

Fedora: ver 7 (X86_64 build)
Yum version: 3.2.1-1.fc7
Kernel version: 2.6.20-2925.13.fc7xen #1
ALSA version: Driver – 1.0.14rc1, Lib – 1.0.14.1.fc7, Utils – 1.0.14-1.fc7

Linux running off USB Ext Harddrive connected via USB2.0. HD specs – WD320 “MyBook”, 7200rpm.

Linux boots via grub with Windows Vista/XP.

Last edited by Cpl_RaefSellous; 14th August 2007 at 06:31 AM. Reason: My specs
Old 14th August 2007, 06:41 AM
bbfuller Offline

Hello Cpl_RaefSellous

I couldn't get my 3945ABG working on a Lenovo C200 either with the drivers included in Fedora.

I used this howto:

http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.ph...#Intel_IPW3945

Works fine now.
Old 15th August 2007, 09:17 AM
Cpl_RaefSellous Offline

Thank you, bbfuller. Tried that – installed the FreshRPMS repos, then ran the commands to install the IPW3945.

All ran fine, but when I go to Sys>Admin>Network and try to add a new adapter it doesn't list the IPW3945.

Thanks for responding.
Old 15th August 2007, 07:37 PM
bbfuller Offline

Hello Cpl_RaefSellous

Prior to the rpm's being made available there was a way of compiling these drivers from source.

The howto doesn't say so, but when you did that there was one extra step to take, and that was to disable the included iwl3945 module that you have been trying to use.

As my machine already had that disabled when I changed from compiling for myself to the rpm's my iwl3945 was already disabled so I've not been sure if it were necessary to do it now.

You could try running:

/sbin/lsmod

at the command line and see if that is still being loaded. If it is then try adding the lines:

blacklist iwl3945
blacklist mac80211

to the end of your file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

reboot and see what happens then.
Old 17th August 2007, 05:53 AM
Cpl_RaefSellous Offline

Thanks for your help, bb, really appreciate it.

I tried that, but still no go.

the iwl3945 is not listed anywhere you mentioned.

I outputted to file the response I get from that search you recommended. I also kept a log of a search I ran on my computer for other 3945 install attempts.

Maybe this list will show where I shouldn't have it? I'm sorry - I appreciate your time looking at this, but as I'm such a newbie I won't take it personally if you don't want to get into this.

I've already reinstalled 5 times, but I might have to do it again to clean up my act from the last few attempts.

"My text file" lists the output from the search you recommended

"3945" is from the "find" tool for anything with 3945 in it, and outputted to file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 3945.txt (3.5 KB, 143 views)
File Type: txt mytextfile.txt (3.6 KB, 120 views)
Old 17th August 2007, 10:18 AM
bbfuller Offline

Hello Cpl_RaefSellous

It's always difficult when you have been working with wireless to ensure you have removed all of the previous attempts before starting something else.

I'm perplexed that the second file you attached doesn't list either iwl3945 or ipw3945.

All I can suggest is that if you are going for a re-install you follow the howto directly after install and see what happens.

I'll be looking fr your posts.

By the way, don't think linux has it in for you. I would be willing to bet that if you asked anyone on the forum about reinstalling when they were beginning you would get a "Oh gosh, I remember that". It's part of the learning process. It does get better.
Old 17th August 2007, 01:08 PM
Cpl_RaefSellous Offline

Hey, thanks bbfuller. I've seen you've really helped others out on the form, and I'm sure plenty are indebted to you :-)

I did like you suggested, and reinstalled. As I was initially running off a USB drive, I decided to make room on the onboard HDD.

The wireless seems to be working - it picked it up at install. I'll be testing it.

No luck with the sound, but that's a different thread.

Thanks again for your help :-)
Old 17th August 2007, 03:13 PM
bbfuller Offline

Hello Cpl_RaefSellous

Pleased to hear the wireless is going.

In general there are three ways to get a wireless card working.

First, the facility is built into the kernel already. There is an open source driver for your card called iwl3945 which is free of licence restrictions and is built into Fedora. I guess that this is what your machine has picked up on. If it works for you, stick with it. It didn't work reliably for me so I changed to one of the other methods. One other potential problem with the iwl3945 is that it appears to be speed limited. More than fast enough for internet but not as fast as is possible for file transfer.

Second, you can get the intel drivers precompiled for fedora from livna. These are designated ipw3945. They get updated each time a kernel changes. These drivers aren't licence free and are therefore not included direct into fedora.

Third, before any limitations of the iwl series became apparent there are howtos that show how to take the iwl driver and compile it yourself. With this method you have to repeat part of the process each time the kernel changes.

I suppose there is a fourth method as well, that involves installing ndiswrapper (also from livna) and using the Windows drivers that come with the card.

That's linux for you, several different ways of approaching the same task.

Trouble is as you probably found out, if you try one method and it doesn't work for you it can be a devil of a job unpicking the previous attempts which may be stopping the new one from working.

As to your sound, we don't have a description yet and I'm not the person to ask, mine either works or it doesn't!

On that note though, if you have (from lspci):

Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

then you might find it works after you update your system to all the latest fedora updates.

For me the sound began to work when the kernel changed from the 2.6.21 series to the 2.6.22.

Be aware though that when it did all my mixer settings were wrong and the microphone gain and speaker gain were all set to maximum causing uncontrolled acoustic feedback. It was really painful and judging by the heat generated over the speakers potentially damaging to those devices.

It's repeatable actually, if I boot back to the 21 kernel and forward again it repeats itself.

It's controllable once you can get at a volume control somewhere but I always keep a plug handy to stick in the microphone socket now to mute it if I doing that sort of thing.

Tags
0768gxm, fedora, installing, lenovo, n100, problem, wireless