Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 13th August 2007, 04:46 PM
Sammy_Sam Offline

Question Fedora 7 Tomcat5 tomcat-users.xml

I been trying to configure tomcat5 for a web application i am setting up, while configuring the admin webapp for time I noticed that I could read the contents of $CATALINA_HOME/conf/tomcat-users.xml as a normal users (Non-Root) . I found this odd that the file had read set for others when the passwords in this file are in plain text . I also found out that even if I change the permission to only let owner and group has access, each time I restarted tomcat it would reset the permission and give others read. I was able to find a post with a similar issue for Debian Bug#434762: tomcat5.5: tomcat-users.xml contains sensitive data, yet it is world-readable. In that post they stated that this use a bug, and that it should be fixed, but the parent folder was not readable to others, I have found that this is not the case in Fedora.

Besides change the umask for all users and/or the tomcat users in Fedora 7 how can I get tomcat5 not to create the tomcat-users.xml with others set to read?

Last edited by Sammy_Sam; 13th August 2007 at 04:48 PM.

Tags
fedora, tomcat5, tomcatusersxml