Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th September 2007, 01:27 AM
Thetargos Online

Since my girlfriend and I got the computer to actually install Fedora 7 (see thread), we are now faced with a rather ugly problem: No network whatsoever. I've tried manually installing madwifi from Livna, but there seems to be a rather nasty problem: the ath0 device is not created, hence no way to configure any of the wireless options, the module loads just fine, just no device...

The wired network is worse still, again the modules are loaded, the device is there, simply no connectivity whatsoever (neither statically assigning an IP nor dynamically [DHCP]), since it is a RealTek 8139, and there seems to be a rather nasty bug with that driver (and apparently hardware), I tried to get at least the WLAN going to install the necessary updates, no dice. The only conclusion I've been able to draw of this peril: NEVER get an Acer laptop.

I don't know what else to do, I'm pretty much giving up... Maybe another distro (will have to try *buntu), though I wouldn't bet much on it.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 25th September 2007, 05:19 AM
toantoet Offline

oh! Sorry for my mistake. I confound 128bit-passphrase with 128bit-HEX.
and now, everything is ok. Thanks a lot 4 ur help
Old 30th September 2007, 08:34 AM
Cuvou Offline

I'm trying to compile the Linux kernel with the 4K stacks disabled. The "make rpm" phase seems to go by smoothly for the most part, and then it eventually ends with...

Code:
  GZIP    arch/i386/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin.gz
  LD      arch/i386/boot/compressed/piggy.o
  LD      arch/i386/boot/compressed/vmlinux
  OBJCOPY arch/i386/boot/vmlinux.bin
  HOSTCC  arch/i386/boot/tools/build
  BUILD   arch/i386/boot/bzImage
Root device is (253, 0)
Boot sector 512 bytes.
Setup is 7556 bytes.
System is 1873 kB
Kernel: arch/i386/boot/bzImage is ready  (#1)
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1562 modules
WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc100116f): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:start_kernel (between 'is386' and 'check_x87')
WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc120a3d8): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: (between 'rest_init' and 'alloc_node_mem_map')
WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc120ec22): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: (between 'iret_exc' and '_etext')
WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc120ec2e): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: (between 'iret_exc' and '_etext')
WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc120ec3a): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: (between 'iret_exc' and '_etext')
WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc120ec46): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: (between 'iret_exc' and '_etext')
WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc120a463): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:__alloc_bootmem_node (between 'alloc_node_mem_map' and 'zone_wait_table_init')
WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc120a50a): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:__alloc_bootmem_node (between 'zone_wait_table_init' and 'schedule')
WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc1104a1d): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:__alloc_bootmem (between 'vgacon_startup' and 'vgacon_scrolldelta')
WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc120f3cc): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: (between 'iret_exc' and '_etext')
And then hangs up there. Does anybody happen to have a precompiled RPM from the 2.6.22.9-91 version of the kernel?
Old 30th September 2007, 08:57 AM
Crito Offline

Get the madwifi drivers from ATrpms.
Old 30th September 2007, 11:38 AM
kizwan Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuvou
I'm trying to compile the Linux kernel with the 4K stacks disabled. The "make rpm" phase seems to go by smoothly for the most part, and then it eventually ends with...

And then hangs up there. Does anybody happen to have a precompiled RPM from the 2.6.22.9-91 version of the kernel?
I'm planning to compile the same kernel version tonight.
-- Download the patch file.
-- How to apply this patch.

Fedora 7
Acer Aspire 3680 (3684NWXMi) || Intel Celeron M processor 440
Atheros AR5006EG / AR5007EG (AR5BXB63)
-- Recompile kernel from kernel source to disable CONFIG_4KSTACKS
-- Compile latest ndiswrapper ver 1.47 from source
-- Instruction
Old 30th September 2007, 11:34 PM
Cuvou Offline

I messed with it a bit more. It turned out that, not long after I posted that, the `make rpm` continued doing more stuff. The first time I tried, it hung up there and never continued, so I thought it was gonna get stuck again and went ahead and posted.

So then it complained that the SRPMS directory didn't exist. So, I went and deleted the whole /usr/src/redhat directory, reran the src RPM, created BUILD, RPMS, and SRPMS directories there, and started the whole process over again.

At any rate, I installed the new kernel and got it to boot properly. I found I had to do "yum remove ndiswrapper" because modprobe wouldn't find it anymore (new kernel is probably to blame), and recompiled it myself from the tar.gz.

Then I ran `modprobe ndiswrapper` (I had already installed net5211.inf in the previous install of ndiswrapper, and I did `ndiswrapper -l` to verify the driver was still installed and marked as present), then checked dmesg:

Code:
eth1: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
eth1: no IPv6 routers present
ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
ndiswrapper version 1.48 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
ndiswrapper: driver net5211 (,07/26/2007,5.3.0.67) loaded
PCI: Enabling device 0000:02:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)
ndiswrapper (ZwClose:2244): closing handle 0xe65ffc28 not implemented
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:02:00.0 to 64
ndiswrapper: using IRQ 11
wlan0: ethernet device 00:19:7e:8c:21:57 using serialized NDIS driver: net5211, version: 0x50003, NDIS version: 0x501, vendor: 'NDIS Network Adapter', 168C:001C.5.conf
wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
I figured the messages in dmesg were about the wireless card being turned off, so I pushed the button to turn on/off the wireless card a couple times. dmesg now says:

Code:
atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0xd5 on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e055 <keycode>' to make it known.
for each time I pressed the button.

At any rate, I continued on with the instructions and ran `ifconfig` and:

Code:
[root@epsilon ndiswrapper-1.48]# ifconfig
eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1B:24:49:AF:B0  
          inet addr:71.227.103.36  Bcast:255.255.255.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::21b:24ff:fe49:afb0/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:31171 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:8420 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:19742260 (18.8 MiB)  TX bytes:836673 (817.0 KiB)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x6c00 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:6591 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:6591 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:53081976 (50.6 MiB)  TX bytes:53081976 (50.6 MiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:19:7E:8C:21:57  
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:11 Memory:b0200000-b0210000
which is good. So now the question is: what next? I ran system-config-network to try to add a wireless network card, but when it gets to select the hardware it just says "Other Wireless Card" (which it says when there isn't even a card detected, like on my desktop PC), instead of also listing "wlan0 (ndiswrapper)"

...or do I use command-line commands to use the wireless?
Old 1st October 2007, 07:59 AM
kizwan Offline

Quote:
I messed with it a bit more. It turned out that, not long after I posted that, the `make rpm` continued doing more stuff. The first time I tried, it hung up there and never continued, so I thought it was gonna get stuck again and went ahead and posted.

So then it complained that the SRPMS directory didn't exist. So, I went and deleted the whole /usr/src/redhat directory, reran the src RPM, created BUILD, RPMS, and SRPMS directories there, and started the whole process over again.
The compile process take long time to complete. I have to wait about one hour for that to complete.

Quote:
At any rate, I installed the new kernel and got it to boot properly. I found I had to do "yum remove ndiswrapper" because modprobe wouldn't find it anymore (new kernel is probably to blame), and recompiled it myself from the tar.gz.
You need to reinstall ndiswrapper since you're booting different kernel.

Quote:
Code:
eth1: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
eth1: no IPv6 routers present
ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
ndiswrapper version 1.48 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
ndiswrapper: driver net5211 (,07/26/2007,5.3.0.67) loaded
PCI: Enabling device 0000:02:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)
ndiswrapper (ZwClose:2244): closing handle 0xe65ffc28 not implemented
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:02:00.0 to 64
ndiswrapper: using IRQ 11
wlan0: ethernet device 00:19:7e:8c:21:57 using serialized NDIS driver: net5211, version: 0x50003, NDIS version: 0x501, vendor: 'NDIS Network Adapter', 168C:001C.5.conf
wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
I figured the messages in dmesg were about the wireless card being turned off, so I pushed the button to turn on/off the wireless card a couple times. dmesg now says:
The driver already turn ON your wireless device (see bold message). The "link is not ready" message mean that it not associated with AP yet.

You need to use NetworkManager to use your wireless. You may start it manually like this:-
/etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

An icon will appear at taskbar, near the clock. Click that icon and choose AP that you want to connect. If it failed to connect, make sure you have installed "wpa_supplicant".

Fedora 7
-- Instruction
Old 1st October 2007, 09:10 PM
Cuvou Offline

Alright, updates:

Apparently I had already installed wpa_supplicant. I just installed wpa_supplicant-gui also, for good measure. At any rate, the NetworkManager applet can see the nearby wireless networks now.

A couple of small issues:

It seems like, when I go into a root terminal and run `modprobe ndiswrapper`, sometimes it will freeze up the system, like it did before I installed the new kernel. It seems like, if the very first thing I do upon logon is run this command as root, it tends to work, but it seems like if I run it after doing other stuff it'll freeze.

So, ndiswrapper gets started up, and a few moments later the NetworkManager applet will list the wireless networks. When I connect to one, though... just as the applet icon changes to the two circles ("getting an IP address"), then the entire system freezes up, like it does sometimes when I run modprobe ndiswrapper.

It might be a problem with the nearby networks, though. On Windows Vista, it detects three networks. Two of them are secured and only have 3 bars, and there's a NEATGEAR network, which is "unsecured" and has 5 bars. Regardless of it being unsecure though, Vista fails to connect to it. Something about the network refusing the request for an IP address.

So, I'll assume that this NETGEAR network is giving Linux the same trouble, and perhaps the failure to get an IP address causes something to bug up and freeze the system. However, the freezing seems to happen almost immediately after the "getting an IP" icon appears.

At any rate, I have class later tonight and the wireless networks there should cooperate better than the ones out here. I'll play around with it then and report back if I come up with anything new.

If not, then perhaps I messed something up with the recompilation of the kernel, in which case, if anybody has a precompiled RPM they could lend me, it would at least help to narrow down what the potential problems might've been. I did see the occasional warnings during the compilation of the kernel, but I'm not sure if they should be worried about.
Old 15th November 2007, 10:08 AM
kizwan Offline

Quote:
Alright, updates:

Apparently I had already installed wpa_supplicant. I just installed wpa_supplicant-gui also, for good measure. At any rate, the NetworkManager applet can see the nearby wireless networks now.

A couple of small issues:

It seems like, when I go into a root terminal and run `modprobe ndiswrapper`, sometimes it will freeze up the system, like it did before I installed the new kernel. It seems like, if the very first thing I do upon logon is run this command as root, it tends to work, but it seems like if I run it after doing other stuff it'll freeze.

So, ndiswrapper gets started up, and a few moments later the NetworkManager applet will list the wireless networks. When I connect to one, though... just as the applet icon changes to the two circles ("getting an IP address"), then the entire system freezes up, like it does sometimes when I run modprobe ndiswrapper.

It might be a problem with the nearby networks, though. On Windows Vista, it detects three networks. Two of them are secured and only have 3 bars, and there's a NEATGEAR network, which is "unsecured" and has 5 bars. Regardless of it being unsecure though, Vista fails to connect to it. Something about the network refusing the request for an IP address.

So, I'll assume that this NETGEAR network is giving Linux the same trouble, and perhaps the failure to get an IP address causes something to bug up and freeze the system. However, the freezing seems to happen almost immediately after the "getting an IP" icon appears.

At any rate, I have class later tonight and the wireless networks there should cooperate better than the ones out here. I'll play around with it then and report back if I come up with anything new.

If not, then perhaps I messed something up with the recompilation of the kernel, in which case, if anybody has a precompiled RPM they could lend me, it would at least help to narrow down what the potential problems might've been. I did see the occasional warnings during the compilation of the kernel, but I'm not sure if they should be worried about.
Hi, sorry for late reply. Do you install ndiswrapper using "yum" or using tarball package? Since we compile our kernel, so ndiswrapper also need to compile from source (tarball package). If you're using yum to install ndiswrapper, I'm afraid it will install kernell using yum, which is not good in this situation. Ndiswrapper has release new version. It is good to use/upgrade to new version.

Fedora 7
-- Instruction
Old 2nd December 2007, 08:07 AM
kizwan Offline

Hi guys,
Now we can use our card AR5007EG using madwifi driver. Check this URL:-
http://madwifi.org/ticket/1679

I'm using Fedora 8. It should work with Fedora 7 too.

Don't forget to remove any existing ndiswrapper & madwifi driver to make sure it is working properly.

Fedora 7
-- Instruction
Old 3rd December 2007, 04:51 AM
kizwan Offline

Hi,
I attached here the patch file that could make our card usable. Please refer to the link at my signature below on how to use this patch file. However, I will not responsible for any damage cause by this patch file. The origin of this file is unknown, therefore DON'T use this file, unless you're ready to experiment. Sorry Moderator, I have to share this file. I hope this post will not be removed. I have apply the patch file and my AR5007EG is working.

Fedora 7
-- Instruction
Old 3rd December 2007, 09:44 AM
Thetargos Online

Just a little question, this patch you posted, is to be applied to the madwifi sources? Where's the source for the hal.o object file, and why is there binary code in the patch? I'm sorry for so many questions, I'll probably test this, is just that I've never seen a 'binary' patch in Linux before (not that they didn't exist, only that I had not seen them). I take it you apply the patch with -p 1 from within the madwifi source tree, or -p 0?

Old 3rd December 2007, 10:52 AM
kizwan Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetargos
Just a little question, this patch you posted, is to be applied to the madwifi sources? Where's the source for the hal.o object file, and why is there binary code in the patch? I'm sorry for so many questions, I'll probably test this, is just that I've never seen a 'binary' patch in Linux before (not that they didn't exist, only that I had not seen them). I take it you apply the patch with -p 1 from within the madwifi source tree, or -p 0?
I attached here the document on how to apply this patch. You need to apply this patch using -p0 parameter.

Sorry, I don't know why there is a binary code in the patch. I think this patch actually to patch the original HAL in the Madwifi tarball package so it will recognized AR5007EG wireless based chipset. Since HAL in the Madwifi is actually a proprietary, which owned by Atheros (if I'm understand correctly - you need to confirm this), so applying this patch may breaking copyright. Thats why the patch file has been remove by Madwifi from their ticket. Refer to this URL:-
http://madwifi.org/ticket/1679

And the origin of this patch file is uknown. Thats why I suggest NOT to use this patch file. Please wait news from Madwifi on this matter.

Fedora 7
-- Instruction

Last edited by kizwan; 3rd December 2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 3rd December 2007, 06:34 PM
Thetargos Online

I see... IIRC the madwifi guys were working a whole new HAL based on the Linux HAL instead of relying on Atheros' own HAL, which were the drivers finally included in the Linux kernel.

[rant]
Atheros's should get off their butts and hand down the necessary documentation for open development, just like Intel is doing and other chipset manufacturers have already done
[/rant]

Old 5th December 2007, 01:15 AM
kizwan Offline

Hi,
The patch file has been resubmitted at Madwifi ticket no. 1679. The patch file now has the appropriate copyright notice included. Please click link at my signature for more information.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Howto-AR5007EG_Patch.txt (986 Bytes, 1626 views)
File Type: patch madwifi-ng-0933.ar2425.20071130.i386.patch (679.3 KB, 5077 views)

Fedora 7
-- Instruction

Tags
adapter, ar5006eg, atheros, b or g, problems, wireless