Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th August 2007, 06:53 PM
joajim Offline

Sharing internet connection fedora 7

Hi

While ago (Fedora Core 3) I used to follow this tutorial to share my internet connection using a wireless card (ad-hoc per to per).

Today I've finally installed Fedora 7 (it recognized all my HW!!!) and the steps do not work anymore, I'm doing the following:

1. I've set in my Fedora 7 PC, wlan0 Ip Address to 192.168.0.1, subnet mask = 255.255.255.0, checked "activate device when computer starts" set Network Name (SIID) to HOME, channel to 1, transmit rate Auto, Mode= Ad-Hoc, and a five characters Key.

2. In the laptop (Windows XP) a set the IP to 192.168.0.11, Getway and DNS to 192.168.0.1 and mask 255.255.255.0, AdHoc, SIID = HOME and the same 5 characters Key

3. I have run the following commands on Fedora to allow iptables to share the connection:
>/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
>echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

4. I have added FORWARD_IPV4=true on “/etc/sysconfig/network”

5. I've installed and started the DNS server:
> /etc/init.d/named start
Starting named: [ OK ]

I'm able to connect from my laptop to Fedora using SSH, but I'm not able to ping or open any website.

When I try to ping www.google.com from the laptop I get "Ping request could not find host www.google.com", when I try to ping google's IP directly (72.14.205.103) I get "Reply from 192.168.0.1: Destination host Unreachable"

Also, I noticed that everytime I restart Fedora I have to "Activate" again wlan0 even if in the configuration the "activate device when computer starts" box is checked.

Please can anyone help me? or point me out to a tutorial on this?

Thanks a lot
Old 11th August 2007, 07:16 PM
Marley Junior Offline

My apologies, i thought i'd searched these lists for a similar problem to mine before posting but I fell short. I have a similar problem, I think it's the same one.

Link to my post http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=163360

MJ

Tags
connection, fedora, internet, sharing