I am running Fedora 7 on my PS3 and after a bit of searching it didn't seem immediately obvious how to get Java applets running in Firefox. I tried using the same method as used on Yellow Dog Linux (described here but couldn't get it working --the plugin wouldn't show up at all in Firefox).
I also tried the libgcj plugin, noting security warnings in the README:
/usr/share/doc/libgcj-4.1.2/README.libgcjwebplugin.so
That plugin would show up in Firefox but wouldn't run the applet I wanted.
So, here are the steps I followed to get it working:
Install IBM Java
Go here:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork.../download.html
Click on the link for J2SE 5.0 for 32-bit iSeries/pSeries
You'll need to register with IBM, sign in, accept license agreement, yada yada yada...
Click on the link to Download using http
Download this one:
rpm format
ibm-java2-ppc-jre-5.0-5.1.ppc.rpm
Open with system-install-packages, Click OK
Install the Mozilla plugin
Once IBM Java install is finished, open a terminal window
Create a plugins folder in your home .mozilla folder:
Code:
mkdir ~/.mozilla/plugins
Create a symbolic link to the libjavaplugin_ojigtk2.so file in the ~/.mozilla/plugins folder:
Code:
ln -s /opt/ibm/java2-ppc-50/jre/bin/libjavaplugin_ojigtk2.so ~/.mozilla/plugins
Restart Firefox if it's already running.
In Firefox, where you normally would enter an http: address, enter:
You should see this show up in the list:
Code:
IBM Java(TM) Plug-in: J2RE 1.5.0 IBM build jclxp32devifx-20070725
File name: libjavaplugin_ojigtk2.so
Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0
After this, you should be able to run Java applets in Firefox 2, complete with sound.
Of course then you'll want to make sure it's working:
Try selecting a time zone ... ZZZzz...
http://www.time.gov
JaC64 Commodore 64 emulator
http://www.jac64.com/home/index.php
JEmu2 Arcade emulator applet
http://www.gagaplay.com/jemu2/applet/index.html
(The games start slowly then auto-adjust to a better speed. Not all have sound. Galaga, Ms. Pacman, Ghost's'Goblins all work with sound)
http://www.flyordie.com/
A very active mutliplayer Java game site featuring pool, chess, Reversi, etc. Expect to see lots of banner ads.