Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd May 2004, 11:09 AM
RobertPBham Offline

Fedora Core installation problems within VMware

Hi folks,

This is my first post and sorry for asking for help straight away, but I've tried everything I can think of.

I decided to give Linux a go and bought the Red Hat Linux Bible with the 3 CD Fedora Core installation included. I setup my VMware session on a Windows 2000 machine. I set it up with 256MB RAM, 8 GB virtual hard disk etc etc. The installation runs through fine until it gets to CD 2 when it errors on one of the RPM packages - xsane. I thought, maybe I have a corrupt CD, so downloaded a fresh ISO and had the same problem. I then went back through the installation and deselected xsane on the install. It now gets further, but errors on the xsri package. I cannot find this to deselect anywhere, so cannot install Fedora from what I can see.

I'm pretty sure it's not VMware as it says it supports Red Hat Linux and seems to install everything fine except these packages. Has anyone got any help on what I can do. I'm just getting bored of reinstallation after reinstallation. I guess at least I know every screen off by heart now.

Thanks for all your help in advance
Robert
Old 2nd May 2004, 11:31 AM
fjleal Offline

Did you check your .iso files' md5sum result? To be sure any .iso file you download is ok, do a md5sum check against the MD5SUM file available in the ftp server.

After that, to be sure the CDs are ok, you have the chance to check each one when you start booting from the first one. Answer yes to the test,and check each CD. This way you can be sure there's no problem with the .iso files, nor with the CDs.

If your .iso files and your CDs are ok, I don't see any reason for the installation not to work. Some other people have installed FC1 on VMware, and I don't remember them having any special problem with the instalation...
Old 2nd May 2004, 11:33 AM
hob Offline

I had a similar experience when setting up a server - the CD drive was failing and couldn't transfer large quantities of data without an error, so I had to replace it to complete the install.

If you have another machine you can verify the CDs - the RH installer includes a media check option and you can abort the install after running the check.

As regards VMWare, I run a testbed FC1 guest on an FC1 host, and haven't had any problems with v. 4.5 so far...
Old 2nd May 2004, 12:23 PM
RobertPBham Offline

Thanks for your help folks. I've just tried the CD test (which I should have done in the first place - so sorry), and CD 2 is faulty. Even the ISO I downloaded is coming up as faulty. The typical thing is, CD 3 that came with the book has a great scratch on it and works fine.

Can anyone recommend a good download site that I could get the ISO for CD2 as I'm only on 512KB broadband and it takes me 3 hours plus to download. I can then run the hash check to make sure.

Once again, thanks for all your help and sorry for my "stupidity".

Rob
Old 2nd May 2004, 03:52 PM
hob Offline

LinuxISO:

http://www.linuxiso.org/

Official list of mirror sites:

http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

When you get more practiced with Linux, it's worth considering using BitTorrent rather than download sites.
Old 2nd May 2004, 05:58 PM
RobertPBham Offline

I've now come across my next stumberling block. I've checked the checksum of the downloaded ISO image and everything is fine - they match perfectly. However, I'm using Nero 5.5 to burn the image to CD and when I have done this, and use the Fedora installation to check the disk for errors, it finds errors.

Is there anything I am doing wrong, or is there a particular way to burn these images in Nero. All the other disks pass with no errors what so ever.

Thanks in advance
Rob
Old 2nd May 2004, 08:29 PM
RobertPBham Offline

I just thought that I would let you all know (especially after all your king help), I've found the problem. Someone on the VMware forum posted something very interesting.

There is a known problem with VMware and the second cd.

Basically, the fix is. When the installation asks for the second cd, you don't put it in the drive and click okay. Fedora will close the CD drive and ask for the CD when it realises it isn't there. You then insert CD2 and click OK. The installation works fine - I've just tried it and it works perfectly. I have know idea why VMware has to do it like this, but I'm just glad it all works.

Thanks for all your help - really appreciated.
Rob
Old 5th May 2004, 09:20 PM
drift3r Offline

I had exactly the same problems and found the solution provided by Robert at the end worked a treat!!

Many thanks for your help.
Old 6th May 2004, 02:52 AM
Varkk Offline

When I did it on my RH9 laptop with VMware I didn't bother burning CDs instead I just pointed the VMware CD device to a file which I then softlinked to the ISOs as I needed them, made changing CDs a simple matter of
'ln -s blah blah blah'
Old 18th June 2004, 10:35 PM
Demberel Offline

Fedora Core 2 Kernel Panic On Vmware

hi there,
i'm using vmware on windows to install fc2
instalation are good, but when reboot i got this mesg.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 4 of device 000000:00:07.1
audit(1084997663.746:0): initialized
(running in test mode)
(running in test mode)
Red Hat nash version 3.5.22 starting
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 1st February 2007, 03:22 PM
amit.terdalkar Offline

Hi Friends,
This is my first post. I want a help a from all of you.

I am trying to install Fedora Core 5 Directory Server on a test machine (VMWARE). It is
giving me error when I try to login to directory server admin console.

I am novice in linux, I couldn't figure out the error for SLAPD
service start. I am attaching setup log for your understanding.

If anybody can help in this, please revert back.

From Amit
Old 6th February 2007, 10:30 AM
washakie Offline

Greetings all. I too am new to VMWARE. I have the server installed on an XP machine. Everything works fine with the Fedora Installation CDs until it asks me which drive to use for the installation. Apparently, it does not recognize or find the virtual drive I defined in vmware?? Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks!
Old 6th February 2007, 10:59 AM
washakie Offline

I didn't find it with my first few searches, but eventually I cam across this for installing Fedora on a VMWARE server on windows xp.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...dora+vmware%22
Old 23rd April 2007, 02:42 PM
psbakke Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by washakie
Greetings all. I too am new to VMWARE. I have the server installed on an XP machine. Everything works fine with the Fedora Installation CDs until it asks me which drive to use for the installation. Apparently, it does not recognize or find the virtual drive I defined in vmware?? Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks!
I had a similar problem and found that for some reason the BusLogic driver for the virtual SCSI disk doesn't work right. When I change the setup in VMWare Server to use the LSILogic driver, the disk can be found.
Old 21st December 2013, 12:16 PM
roklasfon Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: Fedora Core installation problems within VMware

hi everybody i have install fedora core 2 in my VMware worktasion 9 from full one dvd iso image cd with size of 4.06 gb when i finish installtion and it ask for reboot i reboot it but when it starts reboot it reach to stage asking for root user name and password in black screen while flushing(appearing and disappearing ) which making entering the of username and password so difficult and complicated so any solution for this problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
core, fedora, installation, problems, vmware