The bad LDAP connection took control of everything: Even with "Autofill" unselected for that connection, every time I tried to reply, forward or compose a new message it would freeze up with the same password dialog.
1.cI created a bogus user in gnome to get access to copy of what a "fresh" copy should have been like.
2. I moved my ~/.gconf/apps/evolution directory somewhere and then copied in the same directory from the fresh account. This reset all the connection and address book info.
3. Upon restarting I still had my original inbox contents and personal address book...I only had to reenter the pop settings for the email account.
P.S. I'm sure there's a more graceful way of doing this but I couldn't find anything in the forums I frequent regularly. Feel free to post other solutions if you'd like.